Preview Round 18 - Essendon Bombers vs Geelong Cats - Saturday, July 15th - 7:25 pm - GMHBA Stadium

Did anyone notice I kept forgetting to add a poll?

• No, because polls are stupid

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes, we love the polls. Polls for everyone

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hobbs reminds me to Selwood, but with a bit more forward nous.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Tomahawk has the best nickname in the AFL.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No to Fantasia. We need to look forward not backward. Upward, not forward.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards victory.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hadn't matched up well against Richmond either ;)

On the Draper front, why does it feel that we'll continue down this conservative approach, only to see him go in for surgery when his chance of returning this season is gone... Dr Donlav ;) suggests we should have put him in for surgery as soon as there was the niggling injury, with the hope to get him up by the back end of the season.
If they put every player in for surgery that had a niggling injury throughout the season. You’d have 15 players out for most of the season 😂

I wouldn't mind seeing us switch it up a bit this game and maybe tag Stewart quelling his interceping and rebound at that horrible skinny ground, where he only needs to shuffle across a bit and cuts off a lot of attacks... I know we play a zone shifting style now but with how narrow GMHBA is, he is a master of chopping it off and pumping it back over heads to their set-ups.

Yes there's Henry and De Koning still but they don't do damage like Stewart does I feel.

Maybe a good job for Archie or ?...

As an aside, Ben McKay's career bests for intercept marks have been against Geelong.

Carry on.

I wouldn't mind seeing us switch it up a bit this game and maybe tag Stewart quelling his interceping and rebound at that horrible skinny ground, where he only needs to shuffle across a bit and cuts off a lot of attacks... I know we play a zone shifting style now but with how narrow GMHBA is, he is a master of chopping it off and pumping it back over heads to their set-ups.

Yes there's Henry and De Koning still but they don't do damage like Stewart does I feel.

Maybe a good job for Archie or ?...

Ratugalea (Wright)
De Koning (Weidemann)
Stewart (Langford)
Henry (Stringer)
Tuhoy
(Menzie)
Gutherie (Snelling)

We match up a bit better than I thought looking at that.
At there best will genuinely come down to how our smalls go against the Cats rebounders.

Ratugalea (Wright)
De Koning (Weidemann)
Stewart (Langford)
Henry (Stringer)
Tuhoy
(Menzie)
Gutherie (Snelling)

We match up a bit better than I thought looking at that.
At there best will genuinely come down to how our smalls go against the Cats rebounders.
I think the Wright/Ratugalea match up favors us but DeKoning will be smoking Weid.

I think the Wright/Ratugalea match up favors us but DeKoning will be smoking Weid.
Reid just needs to compete..

Was also thinking about the Cats mids, I think we match up reasonably well now.

Stanley (Bryan)
Dangerfield (Merrett)
Atkins (Parish)
Blicavs
(Hobbs)

Depth may even slightly favour us with the form they are in. Caldwell, Martin, Durham, Perkins and even Stringer can go in and influence. The top end talent probably favours Geelong depth wise, but do we bat deeper?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid just needs to compete..

Was also thinking about the Cats mids, I think we match up reasonably well now.

Stanley (Bryan)
Dangerfield (Merrett)
Atkins (Parish)
Blicavs
(Hobbs)

Depth may even slightly favour us with the form they are in. Caldwell, Martin, Durham, Perkins and even Stringer can go in and influence. The top end talent probably favours Geelong depth wise, but do we bat deeper?
Forgot about Blicavs, too tall for Hobbs?

Probably the hardest player to match up on in the league.

the counter point, of course, is that interstate teams don't get a big fat chunk of effectively neutral (or at least, significantly relatively so) away games just down the road; where as many of their supporters can get in as they like. Hostile home crowd, neutral away crowd for a lot of games. Hell of an advantage. Having said that, it's one extra game a club like Essendon has to play away, hardly a big deal in the scheme of things.

I really couldn't care less about the issue, but if I was the kind of guy who went to every match it would be pretty shitty that you can't get in to this one. Geelong get a lot of geographical advantages, and good luck to them I guess, but doesn't mean it's not true
The funny thing about that is a lot of interstate clubs play most of their away games against Victorian teams at a neutral-ish regional venue like Darwin, Townsville, Alice Springs, Cairns, Ballarat, Hobart, Launceston (New Zealand, China). They'll get 3-4 Docklands and 1-2 MCG games if they're capable of drawing a crowd in Melbourne, but otherwise it's planes, trains and automobiles to the end of the Earth every second week.

And then the little Victorian teams that sell 3-4 home game to regional locations usually get 3-4 away games at their home ground (which they use as "replacement games"). They ultimately play 12-13 games in Melbourne each year, which is not a lot different to playing 12 games at Perth Stadium (11H, 1A) or 13 games at Adelaide Oval (11H, 1A + 1 Gather Round).

The bigger Vic clubs and those capable of drawing a crowd (like a minnow playing finals for a bit) are less likely to get shipped out though; if they don't sell their own home games, it's not likely their opponents will sell them either. Reality of the free market I guess.

I presume you mean Redman. Did I miss something? Why is he a maybe?
The hamstring he kept grabbing at last week is apparently tendonitis, which doesn't seem to be a big deal

Agree. Once the expansion is complete it should be 11 home games played there and finals against non Victorian teams.

You can't play finals there. We don't play home finals at Marvel. The Bulldogs and Saints don't play home finals at Marvel.

An MCG final for Geelong versus a non-Victorian side (like last years Prelim versus Brisbane) gives Geelong a big deserved home state advantage no difference to us hosting Brisbane at the MCG. But, by playing Victorian sides in finals at Kardinia Park, you would essentially have an advantage where all other Victorian sides who host Geelong at the MCG don't have an advantage (since the MCG is neutral when two Victorian sides play there.)

You can't have an advantage for a home KP final versus a Victorian team, while all other Victorian teams if roles were reversed at the MCG have no advantage over Geelong.

You get home state advantage for finals versus travelling Non-Victorian sides just like we do if we play an MCG final, and that's as far as it should go.

You can't play finals there. We don't play home finals at Marvel. The Bulldogs and Saints don't play home finals at Marvel.

An MCG final for Geelong versus a non-Victorian side (like last years Prelim versus Brisbane) gives Geelong a big deserved home state advantage no difference to us hosting Brisbane at the MCG. But, by playing Victorian sides in finals at Kardinia Park, you would essentially have an advantage where all other Victorian sides who host Geelong at the MCG don't have an advantage (since the MCG is neutral when two Victorian sides play there.)

You can't have an advantage for a home KP final versus a Victorian team, while all other Victorian teams if roles were reversed at the MCG have no advantage over Geelong.

You get home state advantage for finals versus travelling Non-Victorian sides just like we do if we play an MCG final, and that's as far as it should go.
Counter of course is that Geelong isn't Melbourne. All other Vic sides, hell all other teams actually, get finals in their city but Geelong don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back