Preview Round 18 - Essendoomguys VS Melbourne Demons, MCG, Saturday 13/7/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saving Goldy for Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson

Profusely apologise for the intrusion but do you:
1) Bring in Goldstein to even further dominate MFC's decimated ruck department, at the expense of a runner.
2) Leave out Goldstein and retain the extra runner because you'll easily win the ruck battle with only Draper.

Not only is Gawn out, Melksham could have easily been out with his hit on McGovern.
3) Bring in Goldstein and rest Draper. Others have suggested it and it actually sounds feasible. I'm not adverse to Draper being put in cotton wool a couple of times before finals although unlikely they do.

I’m at the point where I have to concede that Gawn might be the better ruckman, however, Madden remains the better player overall taking into account his forward nous and the eye-candy high marking during his career.

I'm biased (Obviously) and didn't see Simon Madden, so I only judge Gawn on guys who I've seen play. For me he is slightly ahead of Cox now and the best I've seen, but still plenty of people disagree. Probably needs another AA and a (Very) unlikely second premiership as captain to solidify that claim.

I'm biased (Obviously) and didn't see Simon Madden, so I only judge Gawn on guys who I've seen play. For me he is slightly ahead of Cox now and the best I've seen, but still plenty of people disagree. Probably needs another AA and a (Very) unlikely second premiership as captain to solidify that claim.
Simon madden is the best ruck I have seen in my life time. Now 55 and have seen a few.
He was an utter freak

His leap was just fluid motien. Never seen a big guy for like him through the air.

Madden could play now. I love Max, but when you’ve been spoilt by the goat…….

Madden could play now. I love Max, but when you’ve been spoilt by the goat…….
Simon was my footy hero as a kid and still remains my favourite Bomber of all time. It’s very hard for me to say that Gawn may be the best pure ruck but it’s hard argue otherwise now. His tap work is exceptional and his ball use around the ground probably betters Cox. Simon had the early leap that nullified oppo rucks but wasn’t as consistently ‘in the game’ as a ruckman like Gawn is. But Gawn is never going to be a key forward like Madden and nor will he have the aesthetic appeal. Dempsey is another who, when judged purely on his ruck work, was equal to Madden but his best work outside of this was intercept marking in defence which wasn’t as devastating as kicking 7 goals up the other end like big Simon.

It would be very unlikely that a pure ruckman will ever be rated more highly than Madden in my eyes.

See my comments above. I love Big Maxy too. He’s exceeded what I ever thought he could achieve with that giraffe frame of his but Simon Madden was a freak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, Nik Cox is a really good ruckman

We had to play Shiel FFS.
hard disagree, he was arguably best afield in the final quarter. despite having the lowest amount of time on ground out of anyone except for subs & collingwood’s substituted player (64%) as well as providing a lot of defensive space pro in the midfield when required

hard disagree, he was arguably best afield in the final quarter. despite having the lowest amount of time on ground out of anyone except for subs & collingwood’s substituted player (64%) as well as providing a lot of defensive space pro in the midfield when required

Screenshot_20240709-191702_Chrome.jpg
mcgrath_truther and dank420_
Chill dudes. I'm being facetious. Shiel was awesome.

I obviously don't deliver a joke well 🙄

Profusely apologise for the intrusion but do you:
1) Bring in Goldstein to even further dominate MFC's decimated ruck department, at the expense of a runner.
2) Leave out Goldstein and retain the extra runner because you'll easily win the ruck battle with only Draper.

Not only is Gawn out, Melksham could have easily been out with his hit on McGovern.
I see what you're doing here, lulling us into a false sense of security!! You forgot this is set up for peak Essington.

I'm biased [ obviously ] I did see Madden, absolutely love Gawn but, I've also seen Peter Moore, Jim Steins, Gary Dempsey, along with everyone in between.
For mine Madden well ahead of Gawn. AAs, Premierships, and Brownlows shouldn't be a yardstick.
Goldstein, 300 plus games in a shitful club, has played against and beaten the best over the last 20 years, where does he stand in calculations.
Haven't helped you much. For interest sake get a copy of 85 Grand Final, have a watch.

I'm biased [ obviously ] I did see Madden, absolutely love Gawn but, I've also seen Peter Moore, Jim Steins, Gary Dempsey, along with everyone in between.
For mine Madden well ahead of Gawn. AAs, Premierships, and Brownlows shouldn't be a yardstick.
Goldstein, 300 plus games in a shitful club, has played against and beaten the best over the last 20 years, where does he stand in calculations.
Haven't helped you much. For interest sake get a copy of 85 Grand Final, have a watch.

Goldy is a gun, one of my favourite non Demons. Reckon Max his him covered though considering they've gone head to head in each others prime and Gawn has beaten him comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back