Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Brain stepped up when Andrews went off with 2 match saving marks. Great awareness, we need to keep playing him ahead of McKenna.

Good first experience for Smith, he'll know where he needs to step up and come back stronger. Morris in next week.

It felt like we went head to head on Gulden rather than having a plan to shut him down. May be next time we'll rethink that one differently. They cut through the middle a bit too easily in 2nd and 3rd, may be the last quarter it became a arm wrestle when Dunkley, Big O started imposing themselves on contests.

Good game from Joyce, found his composure in the last quarter. Wilmot was great all through and faltered a bit late after all the defensive running. Cam was massive, breaking through many tackles with ease, if only he realizes what he could do full time in there. Hugh was great with those back to back goals, that started instilling some belief on players and crowd, then we started motoring again.

Will take the win and run ! Bring on Gold Coast next week !

The only players who had less ToG than Will Ashcroft today were Smith/Reville sub combo.

20 touches for 250 metres gained in just 68% ToG. Pretty clear he is still on some kind of limited minutes with his rotations.

The only players who had less ToG than Will Ashcroft today were Smith/Reville sub combo.

20 touches for 250 metres gained in just 68% ToG. Pretty clear he is still on some kind of limited minutes with his rotations.

Also might not be playing well enough to demand more midfield time

If we had McKenna in and Brain out we lose that game, I've no doubt.

Rayner was on fire and McCluggage, simply devine. Awesome to see some others step up when Neale/Dunks have a quiet one.

Massive props to Big O, I've been critical of him but he really held his own against Grundy. Was also hoping Joe was on track for a big bag but not to be.

Really great win, now to head down the coast and take the Suns unbeaten home record from them.

We are keeping him on the fringes building up TOG and some confidence in his body. It takes players a year or half a year to feel themselves, took a while for Hipwood and Rayner to start impacting contests when they returned.

1 month from now I believe he'll be back to more minutes. I'm not expecting 1st year magic from him yet, may be in 2025. But if he plays to a high level with his occasional touch/brilliance, that'll be good enough to hold his spot.

Great win.
Sydney hampered by their injuries in the game no doubt. But you can only be asked to beat who ever is in front of you on the day.
The selection of Smith was a big mistake IMO. He was nowhere near it today unfortunately.

ETA: As commented above me Joyce was excellent today.
Smith got his first taste, and we got the win so no harm done. Morris got a rest (and kicked 4 in the VFL), so you would think he’s back next week.

Have we ever won a game where both Neale and Dunkley didn't hit 20 touches and had very little impact?

Huge credit to Rayner, McCluggage, Berry and Ashcroft.

If we get them again with Neale and Dunkley playing their best, I am confident it will be less close.

Also might not be playing well enough to demand more midfield time
Huh, he is playing incredibly well for his time on ground. That's the point of my post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we ever won a game where both Neale and Dunkley didn't hit 20 touches and had very little impact?

Huge credit to Rayner, McCluggage, Berry and Ashcroft.

If we get them again with Neale and Dunkley playing their best, I am confident it will be less close.

Was a bit of a weird game for the midfields of both teams. Gulden and McCluggage had a fair bit of it, but otherwise neither midfield had big numbers.

I disagree
I don't want to put words in your mouth but are you implying that a second year kid, fresh off an ACL who is on limited minutes compared to others, yet still averaging 20 touches is not playing well?

I really hope I'm wrong here.

looks to be rushing his disposal to me, still getting back into the swing of things as you would expect

I don't want to put words in your mouth but are you implying that a second year kid, fresh off an ACL who is on limited minutes compared to others, yet still averaging 20 touches is not playing well?

I really hope I'm wrong here.

You don’t need to take into account any of that. I’m sure Fagan doesn’t see him at half time and say that was a poor half but you’re young and coming back from an injury so it’s actually a good half

It’s great he’s finding a bit of the footy but his ball use has been poor

Was a bit of a weird game for the midfields of both teams. Gulden and McCluggage had a fair bit of it, but otherwise neither midfield had big numbers.
2 topline midfields going at it, probably nullify each other.

I thought umpires were pretty good today, other than a few of tunnelling clangers (1 or 2 our way, 1 theirs). Otherwise i hardly noticed umpires which means they did their job well. 👍🏻

You don’t need to take into account any of that. I’m sure Fagan doesn’t see him at half time and say that was a poor half but you’re young and coming back from an injury so it’s actually a good half

It’s great he’s finding a bit of the footy but his ball use has been poor
I definitely agree he could use the ball better, his effective disposal numbers aren't great since returning but that's just the nature of spending a year out of the game. He seems more prone to boot slamming at the moment instead of showing that poise when he first debuted.

Still he is getting his hands on it and getting it forward. Only 4 games back and he just has to keep getting minutes under his belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Back