Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A very good win against a very good side, that played some equally good football. Can't expect to dominate the whole game against the benchmark of the comp. We won the first qtr, lost the second. Even in the third qtr, we fought hard in that one, and won the last.

Some big performances today. Those players have been mentioned already. Not a sparkling debut for Smith, but he's not really a mobile third tall type. Better used as a second tall/ruck I think. A bit more work to do before he'd be a reliable replacement in that role going fwd. Not saying he won't make it but has Fullerton vibes to me.

Brain looked good at times. Defensively leaves McKenna in the dust at the moment. I still think McKenna has it over Brain in attack when in form. Will be interesting to see which way we go come finals should McKenna find his best. Answerth in the mix too if he comes back strong.

Joyce, another pass mark. A cpl of errors against a very good fwd group. He's gaining confidence, working with Andrews better. Payne takes a few games to regain touch and confidence after injury, If Joyce continues to improve and play solidly could he hold his spot into the finals? An up n running Joyce v Payne on the comeback, which holds better value to the team?

Bruuuce is wasted as the sub. He's much more effective the longer he's on the field. But how do you squeeze them all in? Fletcher, Lohmann, Brain, Reville, Morris, all proven themselves as reliable first graders this year. Great position to be in tho.

I had a good feeling about this game, thought we could win. I wanted to see some fight, focus. Wanted to see some good planning by the coaching staff. I think we got that.

A 3-4 year stretch with Andrews, Payne, Doedee, Coleman, Starcevich, Wilmot and Brain as the back seven would be great.
You forgot Lester. He even got a mention in Fagan’s presser.

Gosh Hudson is a good commentator

apart from that noted fumble of calling Rayner beast mode ;), he really called it with excitement and was on fire that last 10 minutes especially
Yeah, haven’t heard him on a lions game for a while but his quality is head and shoulders above who we have been hearing latterly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the Sydney supporters on the main board are really salty. Umpires, injuries, full of excuses.

Very noticeable - a majority focused on the umpires/injuries rather than simply being outplayed on the day (just!).

It’s not ideal to lose 2 players, of course, but it’s not a death warrant. We lost 4 players by halftime against the Suns and… ran all over them?

It’s also worth noting they had an additional day to prepare, and we were coming from Perth.

At the end of the day, we won, they didn’t, but we’ll likely both be going deep in September, so there’s no point getting salty about it.

Big wrap for Oscar. I thought Grundy would work him over but the longer the game went, the better O got. Dominant in the end. His form is a big reason for the improvement in the midfield.

Think Grundy was up for clearances 4-1 but Oscar ended up winning 9-6. Neither rucked well but Oscar seemed like our best bet for clearances especially centre clearances

Some of the Sydney supporters on the main board are really salty. Umpires, injuries, full of excuses.
Sydney had a good run from the umpires in the 2nd qtr, we had a good run in the last. Evens.

They had a cpl of injuries, one was subbed, so they were really only 1 player down. While we had an ineffective debutante eventually subbed off. So maybe the slightest advantage to Lions.

Certainly nothing worth going the big sook over.

Sydney had a good run from the umpires in the 2nd qtr, we had a good run in the last. Evens.

They had a cpl of injuries, one was subbed, so they were really only 1 player down. While we had an ineffective debutante eventually subbed off. So maybe the slightest advantage to Lions.

Certainly nothing worth going the big sook over.
We played almost the entire last quarter down a player as well with Harris on the bench due to HIA. Both teams ended with 64 rotations, so their injuries weren't really an excuse.

You'd think they were the only team in the league to have injuries, or the only team to have two players go down during a match...

I'm not sure their supporters would be able to cope if they had a run like we did in the GC game this year.

You'd think they were the only team in the league to have injuries, or the only team to have two players go down during a match...

I'm not sure their supporters would be able to cope if they had a run like we did in the GC game this year.
Thought they’d be fairly relaxed considering they are two clear despite losing

Thought they’d be fairly relaxed considering they are two clear despite losing

I do like how they continue with the narrative of playing three down when Hayward was still bobbing up in the forward line kicking two goals, and with the sub meant they were only one down on the bench (excluding the period we had without Andrews).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Back