Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened on radio....do you think Hippy in trouble for tunnelling on the Lizard?

Will get fined for going spikes up to a contest.

Tunneling he might get away due to Blakey partly falling on him before hitting the ground. If Blakey fell straight to ground and hit his head then we can forget about Hippy, luckily that didn't happen.

Said after last week’s game we’d know by now whether we’re genuine contenders or just making up the numbers and y’know what, I’m still aren’t sure one way or t’other.

Oscar gargantuan in the last quarter. Brain grouse. Rayner, two weeks in a row… could it be? Midfield gave me the shits.

Fighting win with parallels to that Lincoln McCarthy game against the Cats.

Good to get up; unconvinced over the way we went about it.

Brain stepped up when Andrews went off with 2 match saving marks. Great awareness, we need to keep playing him ahead of McKenna.

Good first experience for Smith, he'll know where he needs to step up and come back stronger. Morris in next week.

It felt like we went head to head on Gulden rather than having a plan to shut him down. May be next time we'll rethink that one differently. They cut through the middle a bit too easily in 2nd and 3rd, may be the last quarter it became a arm wrestle when Dunkley, Big O started imposing themselves on contests.

Good game from Joyce, found his composure in the last quarter. Wilmot was great all through and faltered a bit late after all the defensive running. Cam was massive, breaking through many tackles with ease, if only he realizes what he could do full time in there. Hugh was great with those back to back goals, that started instilling some belief on players and crowd, then we started motoring again.

Will take the win and run ! Bring on Gold Coast next week !
Great summary .

Said after last week’s game we’d know by now whether we’re genuine contenders or just making up the numbers and y’know what, I’m still aren’t sure one way or t’other.

Oscar gargantuan in the last quarter. Brain grouse. Rayner, two weeks in a row… could it be? Midfield gave me the shits.

If Collingwood did that last year there would be media going ga-ga over winning "another close one".

We might be becoming really good at winning close ones this year, at this stage I'll take that as it might be needed come finals - especially this year.

IMO this made me more confident than before because Neale and Dunks had shockers, and the next group of mids stepped up against the standard bearers of the AFL this season.

Sydney's incredible accuracy and our 7+ out of bounds of the full all factored in, it's even more special a win.

Some players really stepped up with some huge moments in the last quarter.

Shadaeu Brain with a couple of fantastic intercept marks.
Callum Ah Chee's gut running to win a 1 on 2 on the 50 meter attacking arc, pity he didn't run it all the way in though, plus his magnificent left foot snap.
Hugh McCluggage, Josh Dunkley running their backsides off to get to multiple contests.
Charlie Cameron clutch set shot, awesome.

How elite is Harris Andrews, clearly the best KPD in the competition IMO, if he was playing for a big Melbourne club he'd likely be a 5 time All Australian by now.

Henry Smith was overawed, need to get Logan Morris back into the side or go smaller and start Reville.

At the game we heard Andrews was off hiA and we were just crapping ourselves …. Great game. We were sitting near Henry’s family as he had that shot on goal. Hopefully he gets a chance again but you’d bring morris back next week. Mcluggage two goals in thirty seconds wow

I think the Smith thing was ultimately 2 fold... Especially against the best side.

Give Morris a rest and hopefully freshen him up... And I'd say it will happen again at some stage.

And to try out a 3 tall forward line for finals.... We know Fages loves a tall fwd line but I think he learnt his lesson today.

It's no shade on Henry but three super talls with constant chaos ball will never work.

Hopefully it shows how we go forward from here.

Listened on radio....do you think Hippy in trouble for tunnelling on the Lizard?
Nope, but it definitely should have been a free. The studs in the lower back also wasn’t a good look.
Bez also got tunnelled in the forward line, probably a reminder to the umps this week and it will be “rule of the week” next round.

I did not have time to get stressed.
I am in hospital and the nurse woke me up for some tablets.
I then checked the score and we trailed by 5 points. Turned on the radio as they mentioned Ah Chee goal and Lions hit the front. They also mentioned only a few minutes to play.
That then got the stress levels rising.
Thank heavens we got the win.
Home tomorrow so have good game of footy to watch according to a lot of commentators

On SM-G780G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great game Lions and a well deserved victory.
Would be great if we can get a rematch in the GF.
All the best for the rest of the season, you guys are playing great footy 👍
I’d love a Sydney - Brisbane GF. Equal footing for both sides, no Melbourne home team supporter or ground bias.

Edit: and no bloody media bias!

Last edited:
I don't want to put words in your mouth but are you implying that a second year kid, fresh off an ACL who is on limited minutes compared to others, yet still averaging 20 touches is not playing well?

I really hope I'm wrong here.
I don't think he's going that well either. He's dump kicking for turnovers far too often, his two way running is slow, approaching Lyons slow. He's letting his man get too far off him. General kicking has been short or wayward. His hands and timing are off. OK maybe not that bad, but by no means is he playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I then checked the score and we trailed by 5 points. Turned on the radio as they mentioned Ah Chee goal and Lions hit the front. They also mentioned only a few minutes to play.
Home tomorrow so have good game of footy to watch according to a lot of commentators

Get well soon mate and hope you're watching from home for next round

Get well mate! I'm glad we won for you (and everyone). Enjoy watching the replay (maybe skip the 2nd quarter...).

Hope all is well mate, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery no matter how big or small.

Easily cam' s best game of his career.
I agree. I have been critical of Rayner’s performance in ‘Marquee Games’ but today he was sensational. His team high seven tackles were huge, as was his scoreboard contribution.

More please …

AFL reporter, Nathan Schmook is suggesting a ten week ban, assets seizure and strict bail conditions, including the wearing of an ankle bracelet and surrender of passport. That said, he has been known to be wrong before.

I think the Smith thing was ultimately 2 fold... Especially against the best side.

Give Morris a rest and hopefully freshen him up... And I'd say it will happen again at some stage.

And to try out a 3 tall forward line for finals.... We know Fages loves a tall fwd line but I think he learnt his lesson today.

It's no shade on Henry but three super talls with constant chaos ball will never work.

Hopefully it shows how we go forward from here.

I wouldn’t mind if Smith got another game. Got in all the right places and just was a bit too nervous to properly execute. Also when he dropped his marks he didn’t let them get the ball and run with the turnover.

I’d be fine if they decided to give him another game and back him in to improve. Also wouldn’t mind if Morris came back either.

I think Reville is our best sub option. Very good kick composed hands. His tank is probably his weakest skill (though not actually bad) so it’s not like when Sharp loses his best quality.

Brain deserves his spot, magnificent game and provides another decent intercept especially compared to McKenna. Coleman played similar in being able to get 1-2 intercept marks a game and I think we missed that with Zorko replacing him. Played a lot better with Starce back in the small defender lockdown role as well.

I wouldn’t mind if Smith got another game. Got in all the right places and just was a bit too nervous to properly execute. Also when he dropped his marks he didn’t let them get the ball and run with the turnover.

I’d be fine if they decided to give him another game and back him in to improve. Also wouldn’t mind if Morris came back either.

I think Reville is our best sub option. Very good kick composed hands. His tank is probably his weakest skill (though not actually bad) so it’s not like when Sharp loses his best quality.

Brain deserves his spot, magnificent game and provides another decent intercept especially compared to McKenna. Coleman played similar in being able to get 1-2 intercept marks a game and I think we missed that with Zorko replacing him. Played a lot better with Starce back in the small defender lockdown role as well.
Smith looked too scared to put it on his boot. Played ‘hot potato’ with the handball. He lacks Morriss’s composure and confidence. Lift in tempo today was massive and he was found out. Obviously a different player to Tunstill, but his selection was a bit like Tunstill’s first game against Melbourne in 2022. I would have preferred him to come in, if at all, in an easier game.

Brain reminds me a little of Vlastuin, and hopefully he becomes a similar strong marking medium impenetrable wall.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Back