Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well another game winning when not completely playing to best. Thought Swans could have really nailed us in the 3rd quarter but to the boys credit they dug deep. Awesome to see us get the win with not the usual impact from Lachie and Dunks. I have been one who has commentated on radio about Cam Rayner that I would love to see him increase his disposal average from 13 a game to maybe 16 or 17 a game, his impact on games can be so influential so if we can get another 3 or 4 influential disposals in a game it is only going to benefit our footy club and its progression forward. Its a weird season and all you can do is win and that is what we are doing but for some reason i reckon we are only going to improve from this point on. HOPEFULLY.

Well another game winning when not completely playing to best. Thought Swans could have really nailed us in the 3rd quarter but to the boys credit they dug deep. Awesome to see us get the win with not the usual impact from Lachie and Dunks. I have been one who has commentated on radio about Cam Rayner that I would love to see him increase his disposal average from 13 a game to maybe 16 or 17 a game, his impact on games can be so influential so if we can get another 3 or 4 influential disposals in a game it is only going to benefit our footy club and its progression forward. Its a weird season and all you can do is win and that is what we are doing but for some reason i reckon we are only going to improve from this point on. HOPEFULLY.
I think we played pretty well. Swans are a very good team, they were always going to have their run and get on top. A credit to them, that we had to beat them a few times during the game. They didn't let us play to our best at times, that's what good teams do. Just as we didn't let them play to their best.

We had some horrendous skill errors, especially in the second quarter and for large parts of the third.

We completely fluffed a number of scoring opportunities and kicked it OOB on the full so many times that I lost count.

We trailed at the last break by a not insurmountable 2 and a bit goals, yet the way we were playing, it felt like we couldn't win.

Yet somehow, by sheer will and determination, we got ourselves back to parity on the scoreboard and then excelled in the clutch moments in the last few minutes of the game.

It never ceases to amaze me how there are some on here who jump at the chance to call us mentally "weak", just because we give up a lead or if the opposition get on a roll during the course of a game. Apart from that nightmare against Carlton in the Opening Round, we have been anything but mentally weak.

The guts win against the Suns with no bench left, the draw against the Crows, the win against the Dees when all seemed lost a few weeks ago and even that win against the Eagles last week demonstrated great mental strength with the "sacked coach" scenario a huge hurdle to overcome. Not to mention the resounding wins in Melbourne against the Dees and the Dogs. And the total dismantling of Port in Adelaide when we went in as clear underdogs.

We're bloody third when all seemed lost after that shellacking we copped from the Giants in Round 8 and we were totally written off.!!

Yet there is so much improvement left in this side. If we can get it all together in the Finals, the other contenders should be afraid. Very afraid

This is third hand but have heard that Harris isn’t in great shape post-game.

That second collision was very tough.

If true then we shouldn’t risk him against Gold Coast at all. Already has had a major concussion before in his career and it’s not worth getting another knock in the space of two weeks.

We demand ZZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he's a favourite of mine but surprised Cal hasn't copped the wraps for what he did in the finish.

Kicked a fairly amazing goal to put us in front then played super smart to be get hold of it again in a 2 vs 1 but sadly missed what he'd usually swallow. Should've just tapped it on the ground and run in another 5 yards but he was positive and missed.

Then got down the other end to get the crucial punch away from behind in the last marking contest where we were really under the pump and was on hand again to run it over the line when otherwise Clug might've been done for a htb or deliberate.

In the context of the game all of that was a great effort from an unheralded player.

Last edited:
Fantastic win, made better by the fact we ground it out when things weren’t on our terms.
Brain is an AFL quality defender. The two marks he took were great, but looking immediately into the middle to make the play showed confidence, skill and game awareness. He has a future and I hope we persist for the rest of the year given McKenna’s lack of match conditioning.
I was hard on Joyce last week and thought he started poorly today. To his credit he did some nice things as the game wore on. I still think he needs to work within his skill limit - no more kicks into the middle.

I haven’t checked the CBAs but it looked liked Ashcroft went into a few more today. We need him in there if his confidence is up to it to lessen the reliance on Neale when he is being blanketed. Overall, this sets us up for a shot at a top four finish.

I know he's a favourite of mine but surprised Cal hasn't copped the wraps for what he did in the finish.

Kicked a fairly amazing goal to put us in front then played super smart to be get hold of it again in a 2 vs 1 but sadly missed what he'd usually swallow. Should've just tapped it on the ground and run in another 5 yards but he was positive and missed.

Then got down the other end to get the crucial punch away from behind in the last marking contest where we were really under the pump and was on hand again to run it over the line when otherwise Clug might've been done for a htb or deliberate.

In the context of he game all of that was a great effort from an unheralded player.

Totally agree......I'm not big on stats, I tend to go with what a player does when he has the ball and in Cal's case he saved the day right when it mattered.

I gave him a vote just for that reason.

Fages said in his presser that with the crowd roaring as Cal ran, he (Cal) thought he was about to be run down so he kicked the ball but missed.

Totally agree......I'm not big on stats, I tend to go with what a player does when he has the ball and in Cal's case he saved the day right when it mattered.

I gave him a vote just for that reason.

Fages said in his presser that with the crowd roaring as Cal ran, he (Cal) thought he was about to be run down so he kicked the ball but missed.
He seemed to rush it as if he was about to get tackled.

Seeing a lot of ‘tainted’ win rhetoric around the place. I’m not buying it. This was as gutsy a win as I can remember for a long time. Injuries and fatigue probably played a small factor in the game, but by that logic Gold Coast should’ve ran over us earlier in the year when we had a kid run out with a gut full of McNuggets.

We have had a vicious season. Key players out of form. An entire backline worth of injuries. Media ‘scandals’. Yet.. we have found some form and just managed to knock off the ladder leaders.

To expect dominance every weekend going forward is foolish. We will lose some games in the next month. With a bit of luck however, and a clean injury run, we can make a serious play for the flag. We proved that today.

Seeing a lot of ‘tainted’ win rhetoric around the place. I’m not buying it. This was as gutsy a win as I can remember for a long time. Injuries and fatigue probably played a small factor in the game, but by that logic Gold Coast should’ve ran over us earlier in the year when we had a kid run out with a gut full of McNuggets.

We have had a vicious season. Key players out of form. An entire backline worth of injuries. Media ‘scandals’. Yet.. we have found some form and just managed to knock off the ladder leaders.

To expect dominance every weekend going forward is foolish. We will lose some games in the next month. With a bit of luck however, and a clean injury run, we can make a serious play for the flag. We proved that today.
Your Comment To expect dominance every weekend going forward is foolish.

I dont think anyone on hear expects us to dominate every week. We all know how close this competition is. We have had ebbs and flows in our game for the last 8 weeks and thats what alot of people have been saying on here. We have found some form yes but i reckon we still have a massive upside in our game still to come.

Your Comment To expect dominance every weekend going forward is foolish.

I dont think anyone on hear expects us to dominate every week. We all know how close this competition is. We have had ebbs and flows in our game for the last 8 weeks and thats what alot of people have been saying on here. We have found some form yes but i reckon we still have a massive upside in our game still to come.
Good comment. That’s a positive way to frame it.

Side note. I can’t help but drool over what we’d be doing with a fit Coleman/Doedee combination this season.
Coleman yes, Doedee who knows how he will come up, we wish him all the best but after todays game the one i want to see more of that i am really excited about is Brain. Thought his composure and thought process in that last quarter was superb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Back