AFL Autopsy Round 19: 5 goal loss to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question, and I'm really on the fence about this, would you rather make the finals and bomb out in round 1 and as a result miss out on one of the tops mids in the draft? Or slide a few more spots on the ladder with a few losses and lock up a future starting midfielder for us in the draft?

The midfield is obviously a concern & while we have a few nice pieces I think we need a few more.

I really want to see Laverde, Langford & one of Mutch/Begley put in the team and left there for the rest of the year.
Finals.

They seemed to have more players at the fall of the ball all day. Made our skill errors and inability to kill their inside 50 entries so costly. Bont killed us. Reminded me of bloody Kouta.

Watson really struggled, as did Myers. I'd play Bird for one of them next week.

Need to address why we have conceded so many points in the last two weeks. Hopefully Ambrose is right to come back in - think Kelly or McGrath could do with a rest.

Daniher was brilliant and Parish probably played his most influential game for the club. Stewart gave us a quality target at half forward too - he's really exceeded expectations.

The bulldogs were playing as good as their finals campaign last year, so unless you mightily defend that sort of game style then expect a tight game, which is what it was, a close game, even with the 30 point defeat, the kicks on goal from both teams were a lot!

Dogs just had all the composure..

Lol we are literally the opposite of a flat track bully.

ahh no. we are. when the opposition fails to bring pressure, we can make them look silly. see Port, Eagles and Saints thrashings.

when another team applies pressure all over the ground, we cannot withstand it. we turn the ball over, and our defence on turnovers is really bad

see Richmond, Sydney, Bulldogs, Carlton, Adelaide and Melbourne losses. Even the North win last week, we showed the same signs as today. pressure causing clangers

the only times this year i feel we really matched the other teams pressure and took it, was in the losses to GWS and Sydney.
we've also lost 5 close games, and won 0?

that's basically the epitome of a flat track bully. i think we can be better than that. but i really feel it's going to take another pre-season. i don't think we can fix it before finals, if we make it.

Genuine question, and I'm really on the fence about this, would you rather make the finals and bomb out in round 1 and as a result miss out on one of the tops mids in the draft? Or slide a few more spots on the ladder with a few losses and lock up a future starting midfielder for us in the draft?

The midfield is obviously a concern & while we have a few nice pieces I think we need a few more.

I really want to see Laverde, Langford & one of Mutch/Begley put in the team and left there for the rest of the year.
Good question. Certainly wouldn't want to finish 9th.

very happy with 8th but if not need to slip down towards 11th or 12th.

They seemed to have more players at the fall of the ball all day. Made our skill errors and inability to kill their inside 50 entries so costly. Bont killed us. Reminded me of bloody Kouta.

Watson really struggled, as did Myers. I'd play Bird for one of them next week.

Need to address why we have conceded so many points in the last two weeks. Hopefully Ambrose is right to come back in - think Kelly or McGrath could do with a rest.

Daniher was brilliant and Parish probably played his most influential game for the club. Stewart gave us a quality target at half forward too - he's really exceeded expectations.
We are conceding scores recently because McKenna and Hurley have been down on their usual rebound output and the last two weeks Gleeson has provided little in the air.

If we can't find a way to exit the zone cleanly thats what happens.

The pleasing thing is, we have been in every game this year except against Adelaide and that was after very tough period at the start of the year.

Hartley today got free a couple of times and showed how good a kick he is. We need to find a way that he gets on the end of a few more handballs. He really needs to develop some run in a similar vein to what Hurley does because his kicking has penetration and accuracy.

Anyone else feel like we played similar to last week?
We unfortunately don't have a switch to turn our form around that quickly

The problem is mostly composure under pressure and kicks on goal, fix that and you go along way...

I just think it's mental confidence for the most part, the team have shown they can kick 140 shorelines and play great football..

It's all in the head with some of the team..

The bulldogs were playing as good as their finals campaign last year, so unless you mightily defend that sort of game style then expect a tight game, which is what it was, a close game, even with the 30 point defeat, the kicks on goal from both teams were a lot!

Dogs just had all the composure..
So this time round they'll play GWS in Spotless 1st them play Adelaide at AAMI.
Well I guess they can mix it up year after year....but they aren't the Bombers.

So many 2 goal turn arounds where we should have scored a goal or had a good chance only to stuff it up.
Bulldogs go up the other end and make us pay. Well done to them but just a frustrating game to watch!
Ooh ahhh well done to them for capitalising off our mistakes. Now if Preppies did the same thing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't even bring the pressure today, we out tackled them by 17 and we only laid 55. we made errors but they were mostly unforced, they just simply killed us in the forward line.

Rubbish. Tackles don't equate to pressure. Their pressure was great, and mostly, the errors were forced

However, it wasn't blistering pressure you'd see in a final. That worries me even more

Gleeson 'deliberate' cost us a goal, Hooker should have kicked a few, so many missed opportunities. JJ kicked some rippers, umps hurt us. Disappointing as i think we all feel that we had 22 players out there that were better than the 22 opposition.

Not sure if Francis comes in for Baguley and Begley comes in for Laverde?

Possibly some players that need a rest too i.e. Kelly.

Given we are still a chance of making the finals and with a good run home we probably wont make too many changes week to week.

The Hooker charade today is a big problem. Not sure of the solution.

Major positives Daniher, Parish, Stewart.

Negatives Hooker, Laverde, Baguley, Gleeson, Watson, umpires, etc etc.

Last edited:
Gleeson 'deliberate' cost us a goal, Hooker should have kicked a few, so many missed opportunities. JJ kicked some rippers, umps hurt us. Disappointing as i think we all feel that we had 22 players out there that were better than the 22 opposition.

Given we are still a chance of making the finals and with a good run home we probably wont make too many changes week to week.

Major positives Daniher, Parish, Francis.

Umm he didn't play today

Major positives Daniher, Parish, Francis.

Francis? Did I miss something? Or are you talking about VFL form?

I'm annoyed the Dogs played their best game of the year by far today.
Would have them covered any other week before.
JJ sinking them from outside 50 and Cloke kicking them from the boundary FFS.

The Dogs were at 100% today, we got to 80-90%, so plenty to of upside for us going forward.

Great game today, super exciting to watch. This time next year you'll be a force!

To be fair, our most important 2 backman Morris and Adams were out injured, and best three forwards in Stringer, Boyd and Redpath were out. So yep we played at 100%, but given our outs, we needed to be, to be any chance of getting the chocolates.

Best wishes for the rest of the year.

Most disappointing thing about losing today was that our fate was in our own hands when we sat 8th, but now that we are 10th, we need to rely on others stumbling.

Bulldogs play Brisbane next week and if they play like today will probably improve their % by 5 or 6 points to be equal with us. So having the higher % at the moment may not be the case next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Round 19: 5 goal loss to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back