AFL Autopsy Round 19: 5 goal loss to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course its smart. It's exactly what we do week in week out.

It's the point the guy made in his assessment.

I assumed that you were endorsing the bolded part. The reality is that if its coming from the Essendon website it's just an excuse to justify a decision not to tag. It doesn't matter where the opposition player starts what matters is where he is doing damage from, and it was from the middle of the ground.

We are definitely very one dimensional. There does not even seem to be any real versatility within the selected side.

When the oposisition blocks our switch to middle we get hand ball happy and turn it over.

Really need to find another way when the oposisition don't let us how we want to play.
We need to work out a way to get Hartley free in those situations. I'm sure that's what Woosha has working on with him all year.

The three players with the best kicking penetration in our backline are Hurley, McGrath and Hartley. His foots a lazer but just needs tobe the guy on the end of those handball chains.

I assumed that you were endorsing the bolded part. The reality is that if its coming from the Essendon website it's just an excuse to justify a decision not to tag. It doesn't matter where the opposition player starts what matters is where he is doing damage from, and it was from the middle of the ground.

We are definitely very one dimensional. There does not even seem to be any real versatility within the selected side.
I don't agree with the tagging part because it goes against the team philosophy. But the midfield needs to be picking up guys like JJ on the way through. We are incredibly slow to react and by the time it happens our snail paced midfielders are out of the game.

It's been going on for 20 years.

We have a backman as is.

Not every backman is going to be 195cm and weigh 95kg.

Gleeson is a gun. Not sure why people question him.

Tries every contest and his intercept marking is elite.

We need to work out a way to get Hartley free in those situations. I'm sure that's what Woosha has working on with him all year.

The three players with the best kicking penetration in our backline are Hurley, McGrath and Hartley. His foots a lazer but just needs tobe the guy on the end of those handball chains.

I've been saying this for so long, he would be one of the best kicks in the team. He is so defensively minded (which is great) that it really effects him getting the ball and creating.

We were a lot closer than many are giving credit for
dude, so much.

See the thing is, in a football match almost all the time there's a winner and there's a loser. And the line between the two is a ****ton narrower than people seem to think.

Had we got just one of those last quarter goals, we might have then snagged another, and not had that bit at the end. Result? We win, and everyone on this board talks about how ****ing awesome we are.

Footy can be a game of literal inches. That kick that Heppell fired off that went over the head of the receiver by literally a centimetre or two. That's a bit lower, a mark is taken, goal results, we hit the lead.

Yet a few things go wrong and we're shit, lazy, unskilled, no chance. It's just lol

I don't agree with the tagging part because it goes against the team philosophy. But the midfield needs to be picking up guys like JJ on the way through. We are incredibly slow to react and by the time it happens our snail paced midfielders are out of the game.

It's been going on for 20 years.

I don't agree with the philosophy when in the same game the impact of one of our top 3 players was stifled by a tag.

Had we got just one of those last quarter goals, we might have then snagged another, and not had that bit at the end. Result? We win, and everyone on this board talks about how ******* awesome we are.

This is a trap imo. Exactly why Hooker's performance against the roos can pull the wool over ones eyes (one example).

On the whole we might be close but damn, the clanger count warranted any fan to be annoyed.

dude, so much.

See the thing is, in a football match almost all the time there's a winner and there's a loser. And the line between the two is a ****ton narrower than people seem to think.

Had we got just one of those last quarter goals, we might have then snagged another, and not had that bit at the end. Result? We win, and everyone on this board talks about how ******* awesome we are.

Footy can be a game of literal inches. That kick that Heppell fired off that went over the head of the receiver by literally a centimetre or two. That's a bit lower, a mark is taken, goal results, we hit the lead.

Yet a few things go wrong and we're shit, lazy, unskilled, no chance. It's just lol
They didn't go through though, did they? They often don't. I agree though, if we didn't lose so many games we'd be a better side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't go through though, did they? They often don't. I agree though, if we didn't lose so many games we'd be a better side.
I'm not saying we should be happy losing, or that we shouldn't try and improve.

Just that maybe we shouldn't be cutting our metaphorical wrists over losing a high quality game to the reigning premiers...

Just that maybe we shouldn't be cutting our metaphorical wrists over losing a high quality game to the reigning premiers...
Nah don't be silly, there's no room for nuance here. :drunk:

Outplayed by the doggies on the day but not disheartened by any means, take our chances we win, watch out next time doggies, ridiculously easy misses by laverde, daniher , hooksy X 2 , raz, parish etc. we had our chances clearly, 1 goal down with 4 min to play had doggies seriously panicked there for a while.
thought woosha was outcoached by the crafty bevo, as predicted he and the bont had something up their sleeve just too good on the day
woosha refused to follow the script tag JJ you win, we did not have an answer to his speed and guile the whole day

Well you either get a W or a L at the end of a match.

I think you're giving us a bit too much credit, Dogs have plenty of best 22 players out and we are basically full strength. We still lost by 5 goals. We aren't near it yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Round 19: 5 goal loss to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back