Game Day Round 19 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 20/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love it if we named McStay, however I believe the club has been building him for a R20 return against Richmond. I expect him him to play roughly 3 quarters in VFL next week.

IN: M.Cox, J.Howe, C.Dean
OUT: L.Schulz, O.Markov, B.Frampton

B: I.Quaynor - D.Moore - J.Howe
HB: B.Maynard - C.Dean - S.Sidebottom
C: J.Daicos - S.Pendlebury - H.Harrison
HF: J.DeGoey - N.Kreuger - J.Richards
F: B.Hill - M.Cox - J.Elliott
R: D.Cameron - J.Crisp - N.Daicos
I: J.Noble - P.Lipinski - R.McInnes - W.Hoskin-Elliott
S: N.Long

I was surprised that Dean was omitted and not Frampton last week (perhaps that was match up based?). I think Dean is better suited against the Hawks who are a smaller, more mobile forward line. Moore to play on Chol, with Howe & Dean to play on Sicily & Dear.

I would love it if we named McStay, however I believe the club has been building him for a R20 return against Richmond. I expect him him to play roughly 3 quarters in VFL next week.

I was surprised that Dean was omitted and not Frampton last week (perhaps that was match up based?). I think Dean is better suited against the Hawks who are a smaller, more mobile forward line. Moore to play on Chol, with Howe & Dean to play on Sicily & Dear.
Think Dean under concussion protocol from vfl game

Deans concussed. He won't play.

They’ve got form with this
They cheat a lot - goals from out of bounds, and on Friday night, dropping the ball when tackled then kicking it off the ground and getting away with it, when it should have been HTB.
The modern equivalent of brown paper bags to get players back to Geelong from other clubs a la Henry and Bruhn.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.

They cheat a lot - goals from out of bounds, and on Friday night, dropping the ball when tackled then kicking it off the ground and getting away with it, when it should have been HTB.
The modern equivalent of brown paper bags to get players back to Geelong from other clubs a la Henry and Bruhn.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Watch the YouTube video of umpiring of 2022 qualifying final

Since the Bye could say we are the Worst Team in the AFL on Form
Those contributors who are suggesting McStay & Cox play this week are being totally unrealistic. To start with if you follow the weekly Collingwood Injury Reports then last week Cox was 2 to 3 weeks away. In turn McStay - after a knee reconstruction - has played portions of 1 VFL game. He is too important a player to throw caution to the wind & ask him to go & play AFL against one the league's form teams. Absolutely ridiculous! Unfortunately they will have to once again go & play one of out hoodoo teams - as been the case for well over a decade, if not longer - and right now I cannot see a win. We have only 1 key defender - Darcy Moore - who had had a terrible year. Moreover we have no established & recognised centre half back. Furthermore our mid-field apart from Nick Daicos is poor & lacks speed on the outside & grunt on the inside. And then we go to the forward line where we lack key forwards & there is a total paucity of quality when it comes to younger players in the VFL demanding to be played. Plus Bobby Hill is out of form & the mid-fielders are not kicking goals. Moreover Schultz - not that he has set the world on fire since we recruited him for our 1st Round Draft choice later this year - is out with concussion. Apart from Jamie Elliot - after 1 game back - & a couple of cameo efforts from young & undersized Joe Richards, I simply do not see where the goals are coming from. Nathan Kruger is at best a "good ordinary footballer" to use the vernacular of Jack Dyer from the 1860's & 1970's & has been Injury prone for much of his career & to expect him to kick more than at best 2 to 3 goals per game is so optimistic that it is fanciful. Perhaps out best hope is that Darcy Cameron can dominate again in the ruck but even there I do not see our mid-fielders capitalising on that aspect of the game & especially when compared to the young & aggressive & physical & speedy Hawthorn mid-field. Now I am sure that others on this site will dislike & perhaps dismiss many of my comments & views but I am simply calling it as I see it. However what really worries me even more is the lack of quality as we approach the end of the 2024 season is in relation to players in our VFL team. Players such as Finn McRae, Edward Allen, Jakob Ryan, Ash Johnson & Reef McGinnes just to name 5 who are all struggling to show any consistent form at the VFL level & so there is no pressure on our AFL team for positions. Anyway, that will do for now. Goodnight & good luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those contributors who are suggesting McStay & Cox play this week are being totally unrealistic. To start with if you follow the weekly Collingwood Injury Reports then last week Cox was 2 to 3 weeks away. In turn McStay - after a knee reconstruction - has played portions of 1 VFL game. He is too important a player to throw caution to the wind & ask him to go & play AFL against one the league's form teams. Absolutely ridiculous! Unfortunately they will have to once again go & play one of out hoodoo teams - as been the case for well over a decade, if not longer - and right now I cannot see a win. We have only 1 key defender - Darcy Moore - who had had a terrible year. Moreover we have no established & recognised centre half back. Furthermore our mid-field apart from Nick Daicos is poor & lacks speed on the outside & grunt on the inside. And then we go to the forward line where we lack key forwards & there is a total paucity of quality when it comes to younger players in the VFL demanding to be played. Plus Bobby Hill is out of form & the mid-fielders are not kicking goals. Moreover Schultz - not that he has set the world on fire since we recruited him for our 1st Round Draft choice later this year - is out with concussion. Apart from Jamie Elliot - after 1 game back - & a couple of cameo efforts from young & undersized Joe Richards, I simply do not see where the goals are coming from. Nathan Kruger is at best a "good ordinary footballer" to use the vernacular of Jack Dyer from the 1860's & 1970's & has been Injury prone for much of his career & to expect him to kick more than at best 2 to 3 goals per game is so optimistic that it is fanciful. Perhaps out best hope is that Darcy Cameron can dominate again in the ruck but even there I do not see our mid-fielders capitalising on that aspect of the game & especially when compared to the young & aggressive & physical & speedy Hawthorn mid-field. Now I am sure that others on this site will dislike & perhaps dismiss many of my comments & views but I am simply calling it as I see it. However what really worries me even more is the lack of quality as we approach the end of the 2024 season is in relation to players in our VFL team. Players such as Finn McRae, Edward Allen, Jakob Ryan, Ash Johnson & Reef McGinnes just to name 5 who are all struggling to show any consistent form at the VFL level & so there is no pressure on our AFL team for positions. Anyway, that will do for now. Goodnight & good luck.
Oh well, might as well forfeit then. In fact, sit out the rest of the season.
All you've posted there is a litany of our shortcomings and shot down any possible solutions or alternatives.

And learn to insert paragraphs in your posts. They're very difficult to read otherwise.

Oh well, might as well forfeit then. In fact, sit out the rest of the season.
All you've posted there is a litany of our shortcomings and shot down any possible solutions or alternatives.

And learn to insert paragraphs in your posts. They're very difficult to read otherwise.

Yeah I didn’t even bother reading after the first couple of lines.

If McStay pulled up fine from yesterday's game and can train fully on Tuesday and Thursday, I can't see why he wouldn't be selected.

I assume Cox comes straight back in as well.

Hopefully Howe is ready but not holding my breath.

In: Cox, McStay, Howe

Out: Schultz (inj), Kreuger, Markov

winnie the pooh GIF

We should still beat the Hawks though, right?

At present we are the third lowest team for possessions per game only behind WC and the Tigers.
Add to that how we are turning the footy over and wasting possession it’s no wonder we are in the spot we are.

This week we need to be up physically against the Hawks who bullied us last time in a physical sense,they are playing with the arrogance and camaraderie we did last year and this will be last roll of the dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back