Game Day Round 19 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 20/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I will try to be more grammatically exact next time. However, I am only calling it as I see it. Now if you could penetrate my grammatical minefield, I am wondering where do you disagree with my observations? Anyway, I will try to provide you with a couple of possible solutions. OK.

Firstly, do not allow teams such as Essendon & Geelong to accumulate 200 + uncontetested possessions in 2 weeks. Secondly, start trying something different. I did speculate about 2 weeks ago that why not try Reef McGinnes as an intercept defender to see if he could start to learn to play the critical role that was produced with Nathan Murphy's unfortunate retirement. I am sure that he is big enough. OK. Now I am not sure that he would have the tank to go into the mid-field but he should be fit enough to play as a floating type in the backline & especially across the halfback line at AFL level after 3 pre-seasons at the club.

Thirdly, what about changing the mix at centre bounces? Would it be worth a shot to put John Noble or Bobby Hill or Brayden Maynard in there for a few minutes each quarter just to change the dynamic & make itca bit more unpredictable?

Finally, I am thinking of going right out on a limb & play Ed Allen on one of the Hawk's young players & see what he is really made of. However it is likely that his form in the VFL does not warrant such a change. Well that will do for now. Goodbye & good luck.
Whilst we're spit-balling:
Bytel to play a stopping role on Day
McStay (needs no explanation)
McInnes to interchange with JDG between full-forward/on-ball
WHE/Long to play a defensive role on Sicily

Outs: one of: Lipinski (sorry Jen2310), Markov, HH and Shooter

Whilst we're spit-balling:
Bytel to play a stopping role on Day
McStay (needs no explanation)
McInnes to interchange with JDG between full-forward/on-ball
WHE/Long to play a defensive role on Sicily

Outs: one of: Lipinski (sorry Jen2310), Markov, HH and Shooter
Shoota's already out with concussion.

you were doing just ok until walked onto that limb .. you brought up Allan .. suggest you go and wtch a VFL game occsionally .. Allan just doesnt look the goods at present - Sullivan streets ahead of him in pecking order for a start , even macrae i s ahead of him and HDM also ...
Thank you. I knew that was a very of left-of-- field suggestion but I was just wondering if he is the type of player who just goes through the motions at Collingwood in VFL team. I am also wondering if he is just seeing out time until he gets traded back to one of the WA teams. Or is he the type of player who need an absolute rocket & so a lot of tough love.

I know that the others who you have mentioned are well in front of him formwise. Perhaps, I was thinking that he would benefit with a really in-your-face & tough challenge from McRae & the other coaching staff. However you are probably right in your opinion. It is just that he is the type of player - size-wise - that we are crying out for. What a waste. Hopefully he will prove me wrong over the remaining games of the season.

Bullied us last time?
We had 16 more tackles, one less CP, and 8 less Clearances.
They played one good quarter.

Hereā€™s a stat that really counts - we rank 3rd for scoring I50.
Thatā€™s a stat that blows teams away, if we tidy up the rest of our game.
The hawthorn we will
face this week is a far superior unit to gather round and we are a shadow of the team that beat Melbourne on queens bday
Thereā€™s hope but things would have to significantly change and hawthorn trouble us even when we have been up and about

I reckon we'll come good this week and beat hawthorn. They play a very similar game plan to us and I can't see them playing keepings off like the last 3 games we've played.
I donā€™t like the rules changing all the time but I have one suggestion for the AFL.
If they want a more free flowing game, how about increasing the minimum distance for a kick to 20 or even 25M.
It wonā€™t make it any easier to adjudicate for the umps, but it will help to remove the chip, chip, chip tactic to keep the ball off the opposition.
A slightly longer kick means the ball is in the air longer and makes it easier to intercept, it will keep the game in motion, will make it harder to wind down the clock, and should make the game better to watch for the fans.
Clearly this would have helped the Pies the last fortnight so maybe I have some bias here. And I expect some traditionalists will hate the idea but it wouldn't be the first rule thatā€™s been changed from years gone by.

I donā€™t like the rules changing all the time but I have one suggestion for the AFL.
If they want a more free flowing game, how about increasing the minimum distance for a kick to 20 or even 25M.
It wonā€™t make it any easier to adjudicate for the umps, but it will help to remove the chip, chip, chip tactic to keep the ball off the opposition.
A slightly longer kick means the ball is in the air longer and makes it easier to intercept, it will keep the game in motion, will make it harder to wind down the clock, and should make the game better to watch for the fans.
Clearly this would have helped the Pies the last fortnight so maybe I have some bias here. And I expect some traditionalists will hate the idea but it wouldn't be the first rule thatā€™s been changed from years gone by.
I'd be in favour of 20 metres, but some umps can't judge 8 metres as too short now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this, I've also often thought they should consider not paying marks from backwards or sideways kicks in the defensive half of the ground.

Thank you. I knew that was a very of left-of-- field suggestion but I was just wondering if he is the type of player who just goes through the motions at Collingwood in VFL team. I am also wondering if he is just seeing out time until he gets traded back to one of the WA teams. Or is he the type of player who need an absolute rocket & so a lot of tough love.

I know that the others who you have mentioned are well in front of him formwise. Perhaps, I was thinking that he would benefit with a really in-your-face & tough challenge from McRae & the other coaching staff. However you are probably right in your opinion. It is just that he is the type of player - size-wise - that we are crying out for. What a waste. Hopefully he will prove me wrong over the remaining games of the season.
we need some trade capital so players that have any value will be looked at post season Allan would be on that list i reckon

Potentially having Mason and McStay back is massive. Mason alone is a big in, weā€™ve missed his work around the ground and it gives DC a breather as he canā€™t ruck 90% of the game.

We canā€™t have Hawks fans starting to get cocky, we need to give them another reality check like the Cats did to them

Potentially having Mason and McStay back is massive. Mason alone is a big in, weā€™ve missed his work around the ground and it gives DC a breather as he canā€™t ruck 90% of the game.

We canā€™t have Hawks fans starting to get cocky, we need to give them another reality check like the Cats did to them
Hawks fans have always been ********s. Oh you said cockyā€¦

So ins could potentially be
Howe
Cox
McStay
Parker (unlikely to make the 23)

Definite out
Shultz

Possible outs
Freddie. Gonna have a hard time keeping him in the side if they all come in, unfortunately.
Reef. Same as Freddie. Unless he can have a different role.

Markov moved to sub.
Howe plays back only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back