Preview Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Gardiner was injured the second time we played the Roos last year, but I honestly can't remember if he went to Ziebell earlier in the year. I assume he would have done. Anyone remember that game well enough?

Gardiner started on Ziebell for memory but actually got moved off him early doors because Mason Wood was causing us trouble.

I know Gardiner was injured the second time we played the Roos last year, but I honestly can't remember if he went to Ziebell earlier in the year. I assume he would have done. Anyone remember that game well enough?

JZ played on both Robinson and Gardiner.

Then what were you referring to which Ziebell has and Betts and Liam Ryan don't

Strength.

I assess upcoming games fairly simply. North lost both jlt games and their first game of the season by 82 points to a bottom 8 team. We won both jlt games and beat the reigning premiers by 44 points. If this was a horse race we would be long odds on favourites.
Across the ground I think our defenders are superior to their forwards. I also think our midfield shades theirs. I would normally say their backline beats our forwards but their backline has had a disrupted start to year and linc, Charlie and dan had a stormer on Saturday night.
The final part of the puzzle is jivs and pans inexperience watch analysis which will come out when teams announced.
An important part of the puzzle is Marvel Stadium, not just because of the sub-standard surface but because, although we have had some great wins there over the years, our record there against North is abysmal, having lost our last four meetings at Marvel by an average of 71 points.

JZ played on both Robinson and Gardiner.

Strength.

Yeah JZ is a gun forward. I think the key to beating your forwards will be similar to how our backs beat West Coast. Set up a zone and rely on our mids to provide good pressure. If we do that then we will beat your forwards. Easier said than done it course and I'm excited to see how both teams handle themselves. We need to prove last week was no fluke and you need to prove last week was. Bring it!

Match Preview: Lions v North Melbourne
After a red-hot start to the 2019 season at home, the Brisbane Lions will travel to Melbourne to take on the North Melbourne Kangaroos at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Last time they met: The Gabba, round 20, 2018: Brisbane 16.8 (104) lost to North Melbourne 16.11 (107)

The Roos led for most of the day and by as many as 29 points in the second quarter, but barely withstood the Lions' withering fightback.

What it means for Brisbane: The Lions roared last week in upsetting West Coast to back up the pre-season hype, but now the challenge is winning these types of 50-50 games as well, when the expectation is higher.

What it means for North Melbourne: Lots for the Roos' season. What was supposed to be a competitive contest with Fremantle – one they genuinely thought they could win – turned into an 82-point hiding and immediately put them on the back foot.

How Brisbane wins: The Lions' willingness to adapt to last week's scenario with their forward line, in particular, was a big part of their opening-round success, as was their dominance at the source. Brisbane's midfielders are the key again.

How North Melbourne wins: Brad Scott reflected after round one on his side's "dysfunctional forward line" among a series of issues, including being badly beaten at stoppages, too many turnovers and their inability to defend. Addressing those problems will go a long way to victory.

The stat: Brisbane lost its past six matches to North Melbourne and hasn't beaten the Roos at Marvel Stadium since 2009. The most recent being just three points, decided in the final 30 seconds of the game.

The match-up: Robbie Tarrant v Eric Hipwood

Tarrant is officially the Roos' second-ranked defender in the AFL Player Ratings (211th overall) but is widely considered the main man down back at Arden St. Hipwood (355th overall) wasn't prominent in last week's conditions and will look to bounce back in a big way.

It's a big week for…The Brisbane Lions
After a narrow loss to North Melbourne in Round 20 of 2018, the Lions will be looking to even the score after coming off a big Round 1 win against the reigning premiers.

Yeah JZ is a gun forward. I think the key to beating your forwards will be similar to how our backs beat West Coast. Set up a zone and rely on our mids to provide good pressure. If we do that then we will beat your forwards. Easier said than done it course and I'm excited to see how both teams handle themselves. We need to prove last week was no fluke and you need to prove last week was. Bring it!

Jacks main asset is that he is very strong at ground level, and good overhead for his size. I don't expect Gardiner will have any issues combating Jack in the air if he wears him close enough, but Jacks strength is excellent and his ground level recovery is deceptively quick.

Jacks main asset is that he is very strong at ground level, and good overhead for his size. I don't expect Gardiner will have any issues combating Jack in the air if he wears him close enough, but Jacks strength is excellent and his ground level recovery is deceptively quick.
Hey Snake. What is your best guess at north Melbourne changes for Sunday?
Fwiw I don't think we will have any changes.

In: Thompson, Ahern
Out: Vickers-Willis (inj), Dumont

I don't think Fagan will make changes either.

My teams (I welcome any input on Brisbane's structure):

B: Hodge, Andrews,Gardiner
F: Ziebell, Brown, Turner

HB: Witherden, Walker, Rich
HF: Atley, Wood, Ahern

C: Zorko, Neale, McCluggage
C: Hall, Higgins, Polec

HF: Rayner, Hipwood, McCarthy
HB: MacMillan, McKay, Pittard

F: Cameron, McStay,Matheison
B: Williams, Tarrant, Thompson

R: Martin, Berry, Lyons
R: Goldstein, Cunnington, Tyson

Int: Bastinac, Robinson, Bailey, McInerney
Int: LDU, Simpkin, Scott, McDonald

Cunnington not getting suspended was a big plus for you guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm backing us in this week.
Our midfield has a more hardened edge now with our inclusions, Neale and Lyons. With Matho stepping up and Berry and Clug continuing on they're merry way, I don't hold the same fears I've had in the past playing North.
Really looking forward to this one, and seeing the boys live.

Could Gardiner go with Jack on the deck?

My hunch is that Hodge will go to him.
Ziebell gets rooted after a few efforts that's why he doesnt play on the ball much anymore........was getting embarrassing 5 mins on the ball then off......poopppeddddddddddddddddd

I think they should name this match the Ziebell/Rich cup after Voss wanting to select Ziebell in the draft but being outvoted and getting Rich ......or something thereabouts .

You won’t see Mathieson play forward, struggles with kicking technique. If he’s fixed that he’s still better in the midfield.

You won’t see Mathieson play forward, struggles with kicking technique. If he’s fixed that he’s still better in the midfield.

Funnily enough Matho did actually play a few minutes up forward - him, Zorks and Lyons rotated up there as the 6th forward. He won't start there though.

I'm not as confident this week. Last week, I felt the Lions would win no matter what, even still felt extremely confident at quarter time. This side can be anything and it can be anything quickly BUT the side is still young and youngsters tend to struggle at consistency.

This is a game the Lions should win and should win comfortably, especially on the back of both sides' performances last week. That mindset is what scares me. These excellent kids may not yet know how to handle expectation and hype yet. This week we find out.

I'm not as confident this week. Last week, I felt the Lions would win no matter what, even still felt extremely confident at quarter time. This side can be anything and it can be anything quickly BUT the side is still young and youngsters tend to struggle at consistency.

This is a game the Lions should win and should win comfortably, especially on the back of both sides' performances last week. That mindset is what scares me. These excellent kids may not yet know how to handle expectation and hype yet. This week we find out.
I think we will be okay. We are young but we still have a lot of experience out there. Wasn't our average games like around 95 or something. We have experience on every line.
Forward: McCarthy, Cameron,
Midfield: Zorko, Neale, Robinson, Martin, Lyons
Defence: Hodge, Andrews (young but ultra consistent), Rich, Walker

Forward line is probably the most inexperienced part but we don't seem to have trouble scoring.

Hugh for the Brownlow - it’s simon black reincarnate. Watched the replay and watched him closely. Just freaking wow. I always loved watching blacky play by far my all time favourite lion. The time, the space, the ease of movement. The gracefulness to his football. Strap in folks we got ten years of him to look forward to

This side can be anything and it can be anything quickly BUT the side is still young and youngsters tend to struggle at consistency.
If they want to be ‘anything quickly’
Then we need consistency.
IMO last year we were very consistent, just not good enough.
This year, hopefully we are good enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back