Review Round 2, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats the worst bit of the last section (baring injuries). It was a great chance to practice killing the game and we seemed to have no idea on what to do. We were clearly not coached well on this

At some point it's gotta be on the players for not being able to execute a game plan. I doubt what what we saw transpire was what the coaches had drawn up.

Angry Butters Stotch GIF by South Park

Optimism is healthier than pessimism.

I reckon Bailey cost us 4 goals tonight in missed and broken tackles that resulted in direct Melbourne play. It was really obvious that he was a weak link tonight defensively and while he's never been great in that regard he just looked off tonight.

Every tackle he made seemed like one of those Mitch Robbo lunging ones he used to do that don't stop or impede the other player at all. So easily broken. Needs to work on his technique. Tackles are the one thing missing from his forward game.

Pre lights out we smashed them and if they didn’t go out it would have continued as we had all of the momentum. It just goes to show how important the mental side of football is. We go into sheds thinking the game is done and then have to come out and play that last part which lets be serious shouldn’t have happened. Game was done but got get them sponsors dollars right.

Truth sits somewhere in the middle I think.

The reality is, we smashed a really, really good side for three and a half quarters.

Letting it slip in the post-lights section isn't great but is also understandable when you've got players falling left right and centre. Cause for concern but probably not cause for anger.

Interesting to know that we've looked like killers when Zorko is on ground and like kitties if he's out of the side or subbed. Gotta work out who flies the flag for us when he's not around.

I think people here with your opinion have missed the point. To go from 40 pts up to only winning by 11 pts and making a rabble look world class. That is total bull s**t.

Typical Brisbane. Once we're ahead of the opposition we take the foot off their neck and let them back into the game. It's almost like we feel sorry for beating the opposition and we want them to feel good too.
To go from 40 to 11 points…. After a 40 minute break… half way through a quarter… get a grip champ. You are being ridiculous

I'm convinced plenty here think players are robots. ******* hell. Get a grip.
1679661496453.jpeg
Drafted Hymie and expect him to replace Berry. Then people will have nothing to complain about.

Not many people know that Hymie’s look was based on Marcus Adams.

Last edited:
We were absolutely on track for a 50+ point win. Instead, we were made to restart a game and risk injuries. % at that point didn't matter as the game was over. All for the sake of advertising dollars.

Ashcroft will be pretty hard to beat for the Rising Star nom this week. 31 touches, 15 contested and a goal in his second game. He was great tonight.
Quite possibly our best mid this week. I'd have Neale ahead in impact but Ashcroft was definitely most consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were absolutely on track for a 50+ point win. Instead, we were made to restart a game and risk injuries. % at that point didn't matter as the game was over. All for the sake of advertising dollars.
Gambling dollars... Got to get that correct margin...

Can't help but feel a little flat given that ending, but we displayed some premiership quality football in that game for the most part. I liked that we managed to respond every time Melbourne managed to snag a couple goals in a row (excluding the time after the break). Daniher, Ashcroft and Dunkley were brilliant, as was Zorko.

In my heart it's a 40 point win, but we've still got some issues to tidy up in regards to our ability to defend on transition. Joyce was solid in his first game for us - I'd like to see him retain his spot. Hopefully Berry is alright.

When zorko is on we play with flair and we attack.

When zorko is off we go into defensive mode and get smashed.

Our grand final aspirations depend on keeping zorko on the field.

It's both his skill and ability and his captaincy - if not in name this year, he is by actions of his teammates.

Ashcroft will be pretty hard to beat for the Rising Star nom this week. 31 touches, 15 contested and a goal in his second game. He was great tonight.
The little champ was fantatsic wasnt he - the brightest light from tnight, so was McKenna to i thought. Cant forget Zorks, best game hes played in years an absolute barometer.

I think people here with your opinion have missed the point. To go from 40 pts up to only winning by 11 pts and making a rabble look world class. That is total bull s**t.

Typical Brisbane. Once we're ahead of the opposition we take the foot off their neck and let them back into the game. It's almost like we feel sorry for beating the opposition and we want them to feel good too.
What a ridiculous comment .

I've calmed down.

Melbourne got a sniff and we were pretty much just trying to play out time. It's hard to come in 40 points up and thinking the game might be over. The only reason they got a go on was that we were going half pace . Not being critical , highly unusual circumstances.

We monstered them when both teams were flat out . They had their issues. It's a shame if Berry's shoulder has half popped again but it was always going to happen at some point. He was good tonight.

Melts about the last 10 minutes are pathetic. We dominated when it mattered, clearly we were going to win by 40+. Melbourne only managed to get a run going when the game was dead, I hope they’re thrilled with themselves.

I’m more frustrated that the game was continued after such an extensive time off the field. Completely avoidable injuries we now have to deal with. The AFL clearly gave no consideration to player safety what-so-ever. Did not take a rocket scientist to know that soft-tissue injuries were going to happen. Unbelievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Back