Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want CJ who hasn’t trained wing all off season to suddenly learn a whole new position in 1 week based off one game?

This sort of reactionary chaos could go on forever. more often than not you need to stay the course.

It's not a reactionary opinion at all. I've thought wing would be the role to best utilise his talents for two years, and have said as much on here.

He is too loose as a defender at times and makes Frost-like blunders regularly. He's able to make up for some of it thanks to his freak athleticism, but I think that could be put to better use on the wing. Similar to what Mitchell seems to want to do with Weddle.

I am surprised Hardwick isn't in the leadership group and I was surprised that Scrimshaw was not selected for the yesterday's game. Puzzling.
You haven't been reading the coaches views

In Morrison(if fit), Nash
Out: Bramble?, Kosi? (I doubt it though)

All you ppl suggesting positional moves ie CJ to the wing etc... it is highly unlikely until they actually start training there. You can't just send a HBF to a wing he will have NFI

Given the fact that the team is a major WIP I don't see any problems with trying Jiath (and other players) in different positions. I See Jiath as a Chance Bateman type who was instrumental in our 2008 premiership season. We need to use his ability to break lines and move the ball forward at a rate of knots. It's a rare ability he has.

All you ppl suggesting positional moves ie CJ to the wing etc... it is highly unlikely until they actually start training there. You can't just send a HBF to a wing he will have NFI

He won't have NFI. You're acting like he's going to have to solve complex equations, when he's just moving 50m up the field.

Yes he hasn't trained there, and he may get caught out of position at times, but he has the athleticism that will help cover for some of that.

He won't have NFI. You're acting like he's going to have to solve complex equations, when he's just moving 50m up the field.

Yes he hasn't trained there, and he may get caught out of position at times, but he has the athleticism that will help cover for some of that.
Mate seriously this is not suburban footy. He will have NFI... where to run, when to run, synergy with the mids which we already struggle with. You are going add to an existing issue. It's never as simple as it might seem to ppl looking in from the outside.

Mate seriously this is not suburban footy. He will have NFI... where to run, when to run, synergy with the mids which we already struggle with. You are going add to an existing issue. It's never as simple as it might seem to ppl looking in from the outside.

I still think it is worth a go. He seems to have good instincts from an attacking standpoint whereas he seems a little restrained in defence.

Swans will only have 1 tall fwd this week, being Logan McDonald.
Reid is still injured.
Unsure who their 2nd ruck is.

Will be interesting to see how we reshuffle the backline.
DGB was great on McDonald as a junior.

Do we bring him in to gain some form?

I am surprised Hardwick isn't in the leadership group and I was surprised that Scrimshaw was not selected for the yesterday's game. Puzzling.
He was asked about this on the Talking Hawks podcast.

He says he prefers to let his footy do the talking but understands the need to be more vocal down back given he's now one of the senior players on the list.

I still think it is worth a go. He seems to have good instincts from an attacking standpoint whereas he seems a little restrained in defence.
Coaches never do things willy nilly mate they have a plan in place for the year. That plan obviously has CJ playing HBF and playing his role there. For Mitchell to change that plan there needs to be a significant shift in the way we think this team sets up going forward. Plenty have said we are planning and playing for the future. Yes we are and CJ is marked as HBF. We changed Day to play in the midfield and he has been training and now playing there. That's where the coaching staff see him in our premiership side. If in the future they see CJ playing on the wing he will train there pre season and you will see him play there in the pre season and in season

CJ having the athleticism to cover for being caught out of position?

Sounds interesting….

I don’t think that’s going to fix any of his issues.

We already have too many unaccountable defenders, we don’t need to push that problem up another line on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The poorest part of Kosi’s game is his bodywork in contests. No able to get his hands on it. Simply not going to make it but would still keep him in until Lewis is back.

If feels like Scrim and Hardwick are in the outer with the coaches. Both in our top 10 players.
Pretty hard for Kosi to be the lone tall forward. I thought Meek and/or Reeves would rotate forward to provide us better options but either didnt or I didnt notice they did anything. Kosi is a better player with Lewis there but it has shown he is not a class forward option for us and we need better.

Scrim and Dimma are not on the outer. Thats a crazy idea. Scrim was being tested in the 2s recovering a quad and Dimma is a lock in that side.

If he has NFI even after all these years of training, listening to the coaches, watching and playing with wingmen then he would have to be the dumbest player of all time.

Did Day train as a wingman at all this off season? Or at any point in his Hawthorn career to date? Yet he lined up on the wing several times.

I appreciate that there is level of coaching for positioning, etc. involved, but you're making it sound more complicated then it is and you're giving CJ absolutely no credit.

Everything is an issue at this point and this is a year of development and learning. I don't see the harm in giving it a try as it will mitigate some of his weaknesses and potentially highlight his strengths even more.

1v1 battles against their opponent on the wing? I'm backing in CJ to win more then Morrison every day.

Using the space available on the wing? CJ would be far more damaging playing on than Morrison, who loves to stop and slow things down.

Coaches never do things willy nilly mate they have a plan in place for the year. That plan obviously has CJ playing HBF and playing his role there. For Mitchell to change that plan there needs to be a significant shift in the way we think this team sets up going forward. Plenty have said we are planning and playing for the future. Yes we are and CJ is marked as HBF. We changed Day to play in the midfield and he has been training and now playing there. That's where the coaching staff see him in our premiership side. If in the future they see CJ playing on the wing he will train there pre season and you will see him play there in the pre season and in season

I sincerely appreciate your knowledge and what appears to be close links to the club. However, this team is a moving object. All plans need flexibility and adjustments need to be made. That is the nature of planning. I don't think Sam Mitchell and the coaching team can afford to stick rigidly to a single plan. They are very much in learning mode as the players are. I am not suggesting that there needs to be panick after one game and we are not really playing for 4 points per se but there are some signs from last year and not just from yesterday. A kind of seeing the seen.

There is a good podcast with Rob McCartney online who explains that Blake is not keen on all the meetings at extra stuff that goes with being in the leadership group .

Also I have been to two recent Hawks training sessions and Scrim was on the sidelines not participating.

Perhaps this explains why he wasn’t selected and might need some miles in his legs. From all reports he was a long way off it when playing for Box Hill on the weekend so can’t see him coming back in.

It's not a reactionary opinion at all. I've thought wing would be the role to best utilise his talents for two years, and have said as much on here.

He is too loose as a defender at times and makes Frost-like blunders regularly. He's able to make up for some of it thanks to his freak athleticism, but I think that could be put to better use on the wing. Similar to what Mitchell seems to want to do with Weddle.
CJ was our best player on the ground in something 4 of the first 5 games last year playing HBF before he got injured and never quite had the same impact. That was all-australian form, and that's what the club see him doing at his best and what he's been training for.

They spend months watching footage, learning running patterns and living and breathing a certain role and for him that is HBF. We can't just throw the baby out with the bath water after a bad game.

If he has NFI even after all these years of training, listening to the coaches, watching and playing with wingmen then he would have to be the dumbest player of all time.

Did Day train as a wingman at all this off season? Or at any point in his Hawthorn career to date? Yet he lined up on the wing several times.

I appreciate that there is level of coaching for positioning, etc. involved, but you're making it sound more complicated then it is and you're giving CJ absolutely no credit.

Everything is an issue at this point and this is a year of development and learning. I don't see the harm in giving it a try as it will mitigate some of his weaknesses and potentially highlight his strengths even more.

1v1 battles against their opponent on the wing? I'm backing in CJ to win more then Morrison every day.

Using the space available on the wing? CJ would be far more damaging playing on than Morrison, who loves to stop and slow things down.
Morrison slowing things down and hitting a target closer to goal

-v-

CJ running like a cut cat and turning the ball over and being miles out of position.

I know what I would take….

I think it’s time we trial DGB as a key forward.
I remember he went forward at times in his draft year in WA and kicked goals.
We have zero marking power up forward and his biggest strength is flying at the footy, something he’s not doing down back.

It can’t possibly be worse than what Kosi provided yesterday

Yes as did Ward. Day has been training wing and mid. And dimma has floated forward this pre season in fact he did in the practice intra we had this year

Morrison slowing things down and hitting a target closer to goal

-v-

CJ running like a cut cat and turning the ball over and being miles out of position.

I know what I would take….

There's a time for both of course.

Morrison is a tidy user of the ball within 30/40m, no doubt. But I think he loves to slow things down even when some explosiveness would be preferable. TBH I'd rather he was getting the ball around our forward 50 arc, as opposed to out on a wing or near the backline.

I sincerely appreciate your knowledge and what appears to be close links to the club. However, this team is a moving object. All plans need flexibility and adjustments need to be made. That is the nature of planning. I don't think Sam Mitchell and the coaching team can afford to stick rigidly to a single plan. They are very much in learning mode as the players are. I am not suggesting that there needs to be panick after one game and we are not really playing for 4 points per se but there are some signs from last year and not just from yesterday. A kind of seeing the seen.
Of course this is true but they are not going to change their minds on a player and his position based on one game

Edit: Given he has played HBF his entire career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back