Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1634489Photo I took of Scrimshaw, level 2 Ponsford at the game yesterday.

The compression bandage explains why he was omitted.

Will be interested to see if it's mentioned in the injury report this week.

Doubtful he plays against Sydney

I was distracted by the brick.

Sneaky chance to be selected in the back pocket next week? :moustache:

Could Scrimshaw play up forward maybe as replacement for Kosi, he is a better mark and kick. Bramble is not a good defender would rather Weddle or Morrison

Can anyone shed light on Cooper Stephens' game at BH?

My snap judgement is:

DBG for Kosi
Scrimshaw for Bramble
Butler for Wingard
Morrison for Impey

Frost plays forward taking Kosi's place, at least he will contest. We could have used Scrimshaws disposal today, and I'm assuming Wingard misses next week with his calf.

I particularly want DGB and Butler in because they are passionate and tackle with intent. Really need that.

I know there's the argument that we won't drop players after one week and need to gel etc. but Sammy was insistent over the break that if you don't perform you're dropped. I can't see how some are keeping their spots after that effort.

Feedback on Stephens..

Box Hill v Essendon practice match

Frost is meant to be playing more on the smalls this year, so to see him get almost toweled up by an overweight sub in 10 minutes, after some of his other decisions during the game, was probably the most disappointing part of the game for me.

I’m not certain if that means Denver comes in in his place to play the same role, but I would think that Frost’s output needs to improve in the next couple of weeks playing against some decent smalls for him to keep his spot.

Again, we know what we have Frost. We have someone that makes errors. We knew this when we recruited him from Melbourne and GWS.

Did we think at age 26 he was going to change who he was and all of the sudden hit consistent targets with no brain fades.

He will play some ripper games during a season where it all comes off and some horrendous ones where brain fades and basic skill errors drove everyone crackers.

He is not going to change who he is at his age .

So the question remains- Do you play him for what he is and ride the bumps with a grin or leave him out and let him be a leader at Box Hill?

Not that I think either will get dropped, but Impey had a better game than CJ. Weird seeing people pot Impey when he had almost the exact same stats but didn’t fall over constantly to hand Essendon goals.

Yeah Impey wasn't bad and used the ball well.

CJ was absolutely terrible, bar one nice goal and a second nice run. He would have cost us multiple goals (literally giving one away to an Essendon player in the square).

I think Kosi gets dropped. Being subbed out is a pretty damning move when you are the only KPF in the side. Makes me think the coaches were rather unimpressed with what he was providing. Ramsden may get a call up, even if he is still very raw he has the athleticism and height to at least make a contest.

Shame Jeka is injured as this would have been a good chance for him...

Frost is meant to be playing more on the smalls this year, so to see him get almost toweled up by an overweight sub in 10 minutes, after some of his other decisions during the game, was probably the most disappointing part of the game for me.

I’m not certain if that means Denver comes in in his place to play the same role, but I would think that Frost’s output needs to improve in the next couple of weeks playing against some decent smalls for him to keep his spot.
The annoying part was the whole ground knew where the ball was going but Frost would still let him have 15 metres. He got saved by Sicily the 1st time but still didn't learn the lesson

We moved the wrong half back into the guts. Day had the smarts to read the play and will be an elite half back which is fine. Leave him there. It’s where he was drafted. CJ is bigger and more explosive and doesn’t quite have the smarts so I reckon he’s better suited to the midfield than Day.

CJ to the wing. His mistakes will be less costly and he can be free-wheeling with his athleticism, he'd still be able to get back to help in the backline.

Scrimshaw is much calmer with the ball in hand and I trust him more as an interceptor. He's a better kick too.

Bramble out. Scrimshaw in, and CJ spends more time on a wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For everyone posting about multiple changes I highly doubt that Sam is going to be so reckless after trying to instill confidence and belief in the group over summer.

1-2 changes max.
In: Scrimshaw, Long
Out: Wingard (calf), Bramble

That’ll be it I think

CJ to the wing. His mistakes will be less costly and he can be free-wheeling with his athleticism, he'd still be able to get back to help in the backline.

Scrimshaw is much calmer with the ball in hand and I trust him more as an interceptor. He's a better kick too.

Morrison will get that spot if fit

I can’t see anyone getting dropped off one game, even Kosi. Yes Sam said games wont be gifted, but we’ve been working towards a game plan and structure all off season and it would be silly and reactionary to swing the axe this week. We’ve seen teams get jumped early in the season before and slowly work back in, and I think all our guys need that chance. We had awful performance across every line.

Morrison therefore the most likely to come in, and maybe Brockman if Chad can’t get up. Sounds no one particularly is slamming the door down from the box hill just yet, particularly Scrimshaw.

You want CJ who hasn’t trained wing all off season to suddenly learn a whole new position in 1 week based off one game?

This sort of reactionary chaos could go on forever. more often than not you need to stay the course.

Early days but there were some clear signs that Mitchell will need to keep experimenting and tweaking. I think Jiath is a running and offensive weapon so would try him as a wingman or outside mid. He finds space and knows how to move. He lacks certainty in defence. I would also leave Dimma in the forward line as he is a very good mark for his size and provides some leadership there to compliment Breust. Day plays his best footy at half back so I think he should play in defence and Scrimshaw is also reliable and should get the call up. Not sure why he wasn't in the team.

In the forward line, I would leave Kozi there for now but with the singular goal of competing for the high ball and bringing it down. Forget the marking and kicking goals. Just make sure the smalls are there and competing. Dimma and Greene as marking options (on the lead). Also, keep in mind where the team is at. Lewis isn't going to change things dramatically when he returns.

This is what I hope to see:

Hardwick - Blanck - DGB
Scrimshaw - Sicily - Impey

Meek - Newcombe - Ward
Amon - Worpel - CJ

Moore - Nash - MacDonald
Breust - Lynch - Brockman

Day - Mackenzie - Maginess - Wingard (if fit)
Sub: someone good

An experienced backline, which is what we will need once they get on top in the midfield.

If we are going to run a smaller forward line until Lewis returns then we need someone that will compete physically - and that isn't Kosi and certainly isn't Reeves.

Nash has struggled as a forward, but he will at least give us maximum effort and some size/physicality too - and more importantly he will help with keeping the ball locked in when we do eventually get it down there.

Early days but there were some clear signs that Mitchell will need to keep experimenting and tweaking. I think Jiath is a running and offensive weapon so would try him as a wingman or outside mid. He finds space and knows how to move. He lacks certainty in defence. I would also leave Dimma in the forward line as he is a very good mark for his size and provides some leadership there to compliment Breust. Day plays his best footy at half back so I think he should play in defence and Scrimshaw is also reliable and should get the call up. Not sure why he wasn't in the team.

In the forward line, I would leave Kozi there for now but with the singular goal of competing for the high ball and bringing it down. Forget the marking and kicking goals. Just make sure the smalls are there and competing. Dimma and Greene as marking options (on the lead). Also, keep in mind where the team is at. Lewis isn't going to change things dramatically when he returns.
The poorest part of Kosi’s game is his bodywork in contests. No able to get his hands on it. Simply not going to make it but would still keep him in until Lewis is back.

If feels like Scrim and Hardwick are in the outer with the coaches. Both in our top 10 players.

The poorest part of Kosi’s game is his bodywork in contests. No able to get his hands on it. Simply not going to make it but would still keep him in until Lewis is back.

If feels like Scrim and Hardwick are in the outer with the coaches. Both in our top 10 players.

I am surprised Hardwick isn't in the leadership group and I was surprised that Scrimshaw was not selected for the yesterday's game. Puzzling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back