Preview Round 2 - Port Adelaide vs West Coast @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus you are a sad piece of work! :rolleyes:
Your telling me at the end of the year when they review the year gone nobody ever comes up with the....We are developing a side for the future excuse?:rolleyes:
We are developing jack shyte,3 years after Geelong pulled our pants down in the grand final, THE BEST.. we can come up with as a key forward this week (in some peoples eyes)is a 31 year old over the hill defender.
If that's development than we are in for a lot of long cold winters for many years to come.
How long do the excuses go for Toots? until they close the doors and put the ...up for sale sign?

Your specific accusation was that our recruiters and coaches deliberately draft guys who are not ready for AFL as a self serving method of prolonging their tenure.

Well last Saturday we had in the side 2 guys who were drafted a few months ago and the total might well have been 3 had not Jacobs gone down with glandular fever. So that destroys your accusation which was a ridiculous one in the first place.

The fact is that Choco had a liking for speedy players and didn't place enough value on strength. This was a coaching philosophy and had nothing to do with prolonging the tenure of himself and other coaches. Now with Geoff Parker given a much freer reign and with a new coach we are drafting more strong bodied types.

I'm all for well founded criticism and discussion but your level of cynicism and carping criticism over a long period leaves me pretty disenchanted.

We are developing jack shyte,3 years after Geelong pulled our pants down in the grand final, THE BEST.. we can come up with as a key forward this week (in some peoples eyes)is a 31 year old over the hill defender.

Daniel Stewart goes alright. And Westhoff for that matter.

We are going to be much better at the end of the season than at the start this year, its almost guarenteed IMO.

Your specific accusation was that our recruiters deliberately draft guys who are not ready for AFL as a self serving method of prolonging their tenure.

Well last Saturday we had in the side 2 guys who were drafted a few months ago and the total might well have been 3 had not Jacobs gone down with glandular fever. So that destroys your accusation which was a ridiculous one in the first place.

The fact is that Choco had a liking for speedy players and didn't place enough value on strength. This was a coaching philosophy and had nothing to do with prolonging the tenure of himself and other coaches. Now with Geoff Parker given a much freer reign and with a new coach we are drafting more strong bodied types.

I'm all for well founded criticism and discussion but your level of cynicism and carping criticism over a long period leaves me pretty disenchanted.
Wheres the midfield or KP players since 2007?. plenty of flankers, plenty of injured types but what we got this week...Chad Cornes?...3years after the clubs worst day and this is the best we have find in that time
Thats right we have Butcher, hes developing needs a couple more years KP players don't just come good over night, they take years... sometimes many years... if you get a chance check out number 27 for west coast on the weekend.. yes i know hes got a AFL ready body that's why hes playing... another lame excuse used here to often.
You ever ask yourself why we never draft someone that has a AFL ready body?
The 2 guys that played on the weekend are a flanker and a small forward,as good as they showed its not going to get you back on the dance floor for the Last Tango.
Our midfield is second rate and that kills us "all day everyday"

We are going into a game with our Forward hopes resting on a 31 year old who was told at the start of the year he would struggle to get a game this year....we are at round 2 when i last looked ,that's not me being negative that's Reality!

Wheres the midfield or KP players since 2007?.

I reckon Hartlett, Jacobs and Butcher fill those rolls pretty well. Sure they're not fit yet but they will be. You just need to have some patience.

Just look at Trengove. He definitely fits the bill as a KPP (and can do some ruck work) and he was drafted in 2008. He missed 2009 with injury but he's got himself right and now he's good to go. He didn't have a great game last week but judging on his performances from last year that will certainly not be the typical output that we get from him as time goes on.

The others could quite easily follow Trengove's path and then all of a sudden we've got two KPP's and two genuine mids in our team all under the age of 22.

You could even add Salter to that list. I'm pretty sure he was a rookie elevation from 2007 or 2008 and he's only 23 himself. Now we just need to give him a freakin game up forward!!!!

I reckon Hartlett, Jacobs and Butcher fill those rolls pretty well. Sure they're not fit yet but they will be. You just need to have some patience.

Just look at Trengove. He definitely fits the bill as a KPP (and can do some ruck work) and he was drafted in 2008. He missed 2009 with injury but he's got himself right and now he's good to go. He didn't have a great game last week but judging on his performances from last year that will certainly not be the typical output that we get from him as time goes on.

The others could quite easily follow Trengove's path and then all of a sudden we've got two KPP's and two genuine mids in our team all under the age of 22.

You could even add Salter to that list. I'm pretty sure he was a rookie elevation from 2007 or 2008 and he's only 23 himself. Now we just need to give him a freakin game up forward!!!!
I am really not sure about Butcher even if he makes it i am not 100% sure he will stay.

Hartlett? you don't want to go there mate:)

Jacobs i like, the sort we should have been looking at a long time ago.
Jackson shows promise and gives his all.
Salter up forward....."i like to see that"!!

I am lookig forward to our younger players developing

Our more seasoned Midfielders standing up and supporting them

Our forwards getting clean delivery and having their leads respected

Seeing all of our players building their fitness

And getting the 4 points because I believe we should aim for the 8

Kerr + Nic Natt + WCE in a bit of form = good contest.

We can do it of course, but so can they

I think we'll see this week that the AFL is more even than we took it for, and that teams are able to do anything on their day if they are hungry, clean with their skills and the bounce goes their way

Win or Lose I don't mind, as long as we see 4 honest quarters and intensity and effort like last week

(said with tail still between legs)

Wheres the midfield or KP players since 2007?. plenty of flankers, plenty of injured types but what we got this week...Chad Cornes?...3years after the clubs worst day and this is the best we have find in that time
Thats right we have Butcher, hes developing needs a couple more years KP players don't just come good over night, they take years... sometimes many years... if you get a chance check out number 27 for west coast on the weekend.. yes i know hes got a AFL ready body that's why hes playing... another lame excuse used here to often.
You ever ask yourself why we never draft someone that has a AFL ready body?
The 2 guys that played on the weekend are a flanker and a small forward,as good as they showed its not going to get you back on the dance floor for the Last Tango.
Our midfield is second rate and that kills us "all day everyday"

We are going into a game with our Forward hopes resting on a 31 year old who was told at the start of the year he would struggle to get a game this year....we are at round 2 when i last looked ,that's not me being negative that's Reality!
It's your accusation that our coaches and recruiters deliberately draft guys who are not ready to play AFL because they are motivated by self preservation and prolonging their careers at the club that I'm having a go at.

Reasoned criticism is fine, going over the top with wild accusations is not.

It's your accusation that our coaches and recruiters deliberately draft guys who are not ready to play AFL because they are motivated by self preservation and prolonging their careers at the club that I'm having a go at.

Reasoned criticism is fine, going over the top with wild accusations is not.

there is a bit of truth to his comment you know toots

one must recognise these guys arent able to take their skills to many other industries, its not like they have a real trade. if you dont over perform thats one thing, just dont underperform

bit like that old saying no-one ever got fired for buying IBM

i think he's more saying its convenient for them to have players that never end up playing afl because they are always a work in progress. the jury is always out.

of course they want them to star one day. but they rather they are always injured, or a depth player, or developing ruck project, as against just turn out a dud

at some stage will we call time on Lobbe and just say he's no good? or will we read SANFL reports from the PAFC saying "coming on nicely" etc

i must say i can't argue against what 240 is saying in that here we are 4 years on from 2007 GF abomination and we're recycling Chad. Primus is being legit in many things, such as playing these youngsters, but then we see Salter not getting a gig. I see mixed messages and am confused

im looking forward to you nicking off elsewhere, join date july '07, fair weather fan much.

LR isn't this exactly the type of fan we do need to keep?

As a club we need all we can get. If thats what fans are (whatever it is) we need to engage them.

Primus is doing well by putting faith in some new players. Perhaps he can give us his method behind recycling Chad over giving a glimpse through Salter.

Maybe Chad is going into defence and he will play a small forward up there, and leave Westhoff and Stewart to be stay at home CHF and FF. He doesnt have to tell us this, it might be a game day surprise, if we see something like that it will be great stuff and come together

If not, and its just Chad up forward and we get what we know we'll get, well, we can ask questions, and the walk up fans they will.

we need everyone. toxic fans like me, 240, you. Telling some to shove won't help the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am really not sure about Butcher even if he makes it i am not 100% sure he will stay.

Hartlett? you don't want to go there mate:)

Jacobs i like, the sort we should have been looking at a long time ago.
Jackson shows promise and gives his all.
Salter up forward....."i like to see that"!!

Don't give up on him just yet. He's only 20 years old FFS!

He is a player worth persisting with and one day, when he's fit, and that day will come, he will rip the AFL a new one!!!

Butcher is in the same boat. He was injured all last year (just as Jackson was in 2009) so once he gets an uninterupted season of training and games into him he will be ready to go.

I'm not sure why you think he won't hang around....is it because he's from Victoria? I think the club has shown to be more than capable of resigning the interstate boys. Just last year we resigned Boak, Gray and Salopek, all from Victoria. In fact the only notable player to leave in recent times was Jnr Burger, and he's a South Australian!!! I spose you could put Krak in the same box (if you're stretching the term 'notable' a bit) but he didn't even go home the bloody mercenary!

Anyway my point is that I think we're in pretty good shape for the future.

We just gotta be patient.

I had a look at last weeks WCE v NM Pro-Stats stats @

http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/reports/free_match_report_8.pdf

As you would expect in a 4 pt game there isn't much in the game, but one set of stats stood out.

Hitouts
WCE 47 v 14
Centre Bounce hitouts
WCE 18 v 5

This was reflected in the clearances
WCE 42 v 30
Centre Bounce clearances
WCE 17 v 9

Now North's ruck stocks were down as they had no McIntosh and Hale has gone to ruck for Hawthorn. So nullify Cox and Lynch's advantage in the centre bounces and around the ground and we give ourselves a decent chance of winning.

I had a look at last weeks WCE v NM Pro-Stats stats @

http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/reports/free_match_report_8.pdf

As you would expect in a 4 pt game there isn't much in the game, but one set of stats stood out.

Hitouts
WCE 47 v 14
Centre Bounce hitouts
WCE 18 v 5

This was reflected in the clearances
WCE 42 v 30
Centre Bounce clearances
WCE 17 v 9

Now North's ruck stocks were down as they had no McIntosh and Hale has gone to ruck for Hawthorn. So nullify Cox and Lynch's advantage in the centre bounces and around the ground and we give ourselves a decent chance of winning.

Natanui is playing also. So it's much tougher.

As sure as night and day we will beat the eagles

Pretty confident 50 down on 49.5 point margin:thumbsu:

Eagles didn't play well last week they played a very undermanned Roos side and only beat them by 4 points (at home) And roos had no ruckmen our loss while a hiding to nothing to me was different then the hidings we copped before

Us by 103 points

We have beaten you once at AAMI Stadium. Ever. 1 from 10. Not wonderful.

Not one participant from that meeting in 1998 will play in this one, although one remains on an AFL list (Michael Gardiner).

Interestingly, in 10 meetings there has been a 1 point game, a 2 point game and a 3 point game. You have also beaten us by 64, 91 and 112. Hmmmm.

We have a minimum score of 51 and a maximum of 79 for an average of 63.6 per game. We consistently don't score well. You have a minimum score of 55 and a maximum score of 163 with an average of 105.8. You really are consistently inconsistent.:thumbsu:

The numbers tell me you will win, by a comfortable but not excessive margin.

I predict Port to win roughly 16 goals to 10.

Why are our supporters so unconfident aBout this game?:confused:

I don't wanna jinx it but I am very confident about a hefty margin win for us with this game....

If we can win this game by over 60 points I'll go nuts! Its been way too long since we've demolished a side in the season proper.

Once again, no disrespect to the Eagles, but I feel we have them covered easily at AAMI.

If we can win this game by over 60 points I'll go nuts! Its been way too long since we've demolished a side in the season proper.

Once again, no disrespect to the Eagles, but I feel we have them covered easily at AAMI.

Go have a look at west coasts team on paper than come back. This game will not be a walk over. If the like of priddis and kerr get it going the have a pretty fair spine to hold up strong for most of the game.. We should have enough inside 50s to kick a bigger score but i can see it going right down to the wire. This lineup of our does not make me feel confident of winning games by big margins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 2 - Port Adelaide vs West Coast @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back