VFL Round 2 v the Plastics

Remove this Banner Ad

JUH wasn’t dominant by any stretch but I think I’ve seen enough. He’s just gonna kick bags of goals throughout his career. I honestly think if he debuted next week and played the rest of the season he’d average close to 3 a game. I’d be playing him, alongside Naughty, Bruce and Timmy he’s gonna have it so much easier, and with the space at AFL level and our midfield kicking it to him he’s gonna be so dangerous. Naughty & JUH are as good as any small on our list at ground level so doesn’t really matter.

no ones stopping that forward line, I don’t care if the ball walks back out when it hits the deck, our midfield pushes up to lock it in and we’ll just win it back and send it back in anyway. One of those 4 talls are taking a mark more often than not. Time to unleash it. While the rest of the leagues going small ball we go tall. That forward line would win us the flag this year I reckon.

It wasn’t too tall with Wally there and Wally is more of a lumbering old school full forward than JUH.

watched at the pub with no commentary, didn’t realise Raak played, what did people think of his game?

West and Lip are way too good for VFL level and should be playing every week at AFL. Crazy that we could make 5 changes in the AFL and they still miss.

Weightman and Garcia will be good. Thought Shach was great too, and strong in the air.

watched at the pub with no commentary, didn’t realise Raak played, what did people think of his game?

Was reasonable as a loose tall defender, a lot to work with but just so lightly built that he wouldn't be able to have an impact if he was taken in the midseason draft. Would be keen on him in the draft and we should have taken him as a cat B last year but not kicking myself over losing priority access to him at the moment.

I thought Raak was pretty good from what I saw. Wasn't involved heaps but he looked like he belonged when he was involved. Very good first hit out at that level.

Here's my 2 cents worth on our AFL players last night;
- So many of our reserves are smaller mid/forwards, of them I thought West is closest. So good in a contest and adding forward tricks to his arsenal.
- Lipinski is class with ball in hand and was probably BOG but not sure he did enough off the ball to force his way back in. Hard running, spread and working back defensively are still his issues.
- Hannan has weapons and may well be our small forward come finals time. Needs at least 1 more at VFL level though.
- Butler is coming along well. Stronger, runs hard and uses well. Should get an opportunity across half back/wing before too long.
- Jamarras ability to present multiple times is impressive. Needs more time.
- Schache is bursting for opportunity. Contesting well. Would do well at AFL level.
- Enjoying Sweets progress this year. More assertive and dangerous around the ground. More AFL for him this year.
- Khamis is another one making strides forward and just waiting for a chance. Reads it well, covers ground, uses well.
- Young seems a real confidence player at a low ebb. Tried to assert against Hogan but Hogan too good. Looked unsure with ball in hand.
- Garcia has serious attributes with his burst and appetite for the contest, but ball skills are rusty. Has missed a lot of footy and needs more time,
- Weightman and Cavarra are a fair way off.
- Wallis is interesting. Won't be playing deep forward with the 3 talls in AFL but seemed to grow into his time more mid last night. Can provide an option across half forward.
- Hayes runs so hard and is a good contributor at this level but a player of his physical attributes just needs to hurt more with the ball. Close but not quite AFL level,
- Bedendo is exciting, when he's around the ball things happen. Very physically raw though. Reckon he's 12 months away, would like to see a bit of wing/half back time.

I thought Raak was pretty good from what I saw. Wasn't involved heaps but he looked like he belonged when he was involved. Very good first hit out at that level.

On the surface, it seems weird that the Bulldogs are playing him (and giving him plenty of game time) knowing that if he continues to play well, there is a big chance he'll be taken at the mid-season draft...IF he nominates.

I wonder what the chances are that they've guaranteed him a list spot at the end of the year and told him to stay out of the MSD or they're just doing him a solid and giving him the opportunity to show his stuff after being overlooked?

Here's my 2 cents worth on our AFL players last night;
- So many of our reserves are smaller mid/forwards, of them I thought West is closest. So good in a contest and adding forward tricks to his arsenal.
- Lipinski is class with ball in hand and was probably BOG but not sure he did enough off the ball to force his way back in. Hard running, spread and working back defensively are still his issues.
- Hannan has weapons and may well be our small forward come finals time. Needs at least 1 more at VFL level though.
- Butler is coming along well. Stronger, runs hard and uses well. Should get an opportunity across half back/wing before too long.
- Jamarras ability to present multiple times is impressive. Needs more time.
- Schache is bursting for opportunity. Contesting well. Would do well at AFL level.
- Enjoying Sweets progress this year. More assertive and dangerous around the ground. More AFL for him this year.
- Khamis is another one making strides forward and just waiting for a chance. Reads it well, covers ground, uses well.
- Young seems a real confidence player at a low ebb. Tried to assert against Hogan but Hogan too good. Looked unsure with ball in hand.
- Garcia has serious attributes with his burst and appetite for the contest, but ball skills are rusty. Has missed a lot of footy and needs more time,
- Weightman and Cavarra are a fair way off.
- Wallis is interesting. Won't be playing deep forward with the 3 talls in AFL but seemed to grow into his time more mid last night. Can provide an option across half forward.
- Hayes runs so hard and is a good contributor at this level but a player of his physical attributes just needs to hurt more with the ball. Close but not quite AFL level,
- Bedendo is exciting, when he's around the ball things happen. Very physically raw though. Reckon he's 12 months away, would like to see a bit of wing/half back time.
Agree with all above. I would like to see Schache given a chance , took some nice marks and tried to get others involved. Thought jammarra looked cooked when I started watching after half time, needs to build up tank, maybe that was the stint on wing was for.
As for umps, the ruck contests were crazy , like the old old days with scragging before ball even put into play

Just watched the replay. Lots to like with our depth. Wouldn't be upset to see any of Khamis, Butler, West, Lipinski, Garcia, Hannan, Weightman, Cavarra, Sweet, Schache or Ugle-Hagan get a spot in the seniors if one opens up. All played with great energy and effort, did all the right things to get considered. Hayes was the same but doesn't have the skills to match the rest, credit to him though. Wasn't really Wallis' day but did some selfless things and Bedendo looked good for a developing player.

A fair few faded in the last quarter though. Makes me think the AFL side chosen is as much about tank as anything else. The one weakness we have at both levels is still our key defenders. Think we have the creativity to cover it and Khamis actually didn't look bad on the moments he was on Hogan. Something to consider if it comes to that.

Good signs, I think the fact he’s playing for Footscray leaves me pretty confident if we can give him some reassurance we’ll draft him he’d skip the mid season draft. It would make a lot of sense to him to stay at the club he knows with the players he knows with all the coaches he’s been working with for years, rather than taking a 6 month contract possibly interstate

Raak basically played like Khamis did in Khamis' first year. Neat kick, can judge the flight of the ball pretty well. Is a skinny long term project but there's AFL quality there. Hopefully we get him and he doesn't nominate for the mid-season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Khamis will replace Wood eventually in the 1s (when wood retires)

Schache was great although i think we will lose him for peanuts which isnt ideal. Should be worth a 2nd rounder but we will get nothing for him. Id like to see him in the 1s and see how he went he still has a lot of great attributes

Champion Data has uploaded the missing stats from the first eight minutes of the third quarter and the final stats and ranking points are below.

Lipinski finished with a very impressive 40 disposals, 11 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal and 2 score assists. West 29 disposals, 9 marks (3 contested), 3 goals and 2 score assists.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 6.23.46 pm.png

Ranking Points
156 - West
141 - Lipinski
128 - Sweet
118 - Hayes
109 - Sullivan
102 - Cavarra
100 - Ugle-Hagan
92 - McComb
91 - Butler
89 - Cormack
88 - Wallis
86 - Hannan
85 - Schache
84 - Khamis
80 - Weightman
66 - Young
65 - Garcia
57 - Raak
56 - William
51 - Bedendo
31 - Glass-McCasker

I think Lippa and West are in our best 22. McNeil and Scott out for those 2 and Gardner back in for Cordy and we are nearly ok. Jong also line ball with someone else maybe Cavarra/Garcia

Bevo and others have praised Lipinski for his response to being dropped and fair enough, but Sweet deserves mention too.

Must've been a bit disappointed to be dropped after doing ok in his long awaited AFL opportunity, but responded with 15 possessions. 6 marks, 41 hitouts, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 goals 1 and a goal assist.

They are great numbers for a first Ruck. Big future.

Bevo and others have praised Lipinski for his response to being dropped and fair enough, but Sweet deserves mention too.

Must've been a bit disappointed to be dropped after doing ok in his long awaited AFL opportunity, but responded with 15 possessions. 6 marks, 41 hitouts, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 goals 1 and a goal assist.

They are great numbers for a first Ruck. Big future.
I reckon Sweet would have been told it was only for one game from the moment Bevo tapped him on the shoulder with news of his debut. Probably just rapt to make his debut.

But I agree. He’s doing everything right in the VFL. He’ll go okay next time he’s called up. Could even be next week (but I doubt it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back