Preview Round 20, 2024: Adelaide Crows v Hawthorn, 28 July 2024, 4.10pm AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide has a potent forward-line and the ability to score very quickly. Three genuine hulking talls with some crafty smalls that can trouble opponents provided the ball comes in fast. Even in our earlier match where we dominated them in most aspects, they were able to score 3-4 goals in quick succession. It will be worse on their home deck.

Their midfield and backline are lacking.
Doesn't matter how good their forwards are if the ball doesn't come their way most times. We are doing very well in the middle and when the ball gets to our forward line most times we lock it in there. I am sure we will win this by 20.

Feel like some fans are a touch overconfident about this one. They are currently favourites for a reason.

I'd like to think I'm one of the more realistic posters when it comes to expectation. I probably fall beneath the line into 'pessimist' territory if I had to pick one.

However, I have no idea why we aren't favourites.
We've won 9 of our past 11 games.
Just knocked off the reigning premier by 11 goals.
Adelaide are missing their 2 best players and have underachieved all year.

It's as bewildering to me as Melbourne being favourites against GWS this weekend as well.

I fully expect both sides to meet in Canberra in a fortnight's time coming off solid wins.

One thing we can not not not do is take them too lightly.
I think the fact we need to improve our percentage so much really helps prevent a mindset of underestimating lower ranked or injured opposition from infiltrating the group.

I also think the team is really cognisant now that they've only been as good as they have been because they've kept that attacking, hunt the ball and oppo mentality. Whenever they've gone away from that during the winning run (eg. Port Q4 and v Geelong) we look ordinary.

I'd like to think I'm one of the more realistic posters when it comes to expectation. I probably fall beneath the line into 'pessimist' territory if I had to pick one.

It's as bewildering to me as Melbourne being favourites against GWS this weekend as well.

I fully expect both sides to meet in Canberra in a fortnight's time coming off solid wins.
We’re favourites now.

Don't see why we need to make changes to a team that won by 60+ points. Finn was good when he came on.. it's not a long flight to Adelaide, so no reason to rest Breust fresh off a 4 goal game.

I think the weather conditions helped Sicily rack up 30+ on the weekend and it seems like he's still protecting himself, hopefully with another week under the belt his shoulder is a bit stronger and he's going to be a bit more comfortable with it.

Without watching the game, i kinda feel like the Crows had to play outta their skin to beat the Bombers and don't see them doing it two weeks in a row. Keays kicked some ripper goals (from the highlights) and don't see him kicking more than 3 this weekend. I think we play Adelaide Oval pretty well, so got us down for the win.

Selection thoughts

- Finn and Ward are interesting additions last 2 weeks. bringing in our two of the strongest runners in the squad with elite aerobic capacity. The tough winter months when bodies are aching, sides like Crows carrying injuries, makes us pretty hard to play against to bring in two fresh players like this who are elite runners into a side that is already elite in this area.

- MacKenzie was having moments of breaking out and showing real class this year and offers a midfield rotation, but also was quieter with before before being 'managed'. He's in our best 22/23, just the question is whether for the above reasons we hold him back just one more week to run with the fittest squad to get through the tough double road trip fixture. Also who we want to play the sub tactics wise. Obviously he'd be a very handy in after a freshen up as well.

- Gunston still a viable option at some stage. Has played important games and chipped in for us. Just not sure it will be this week, as think we will go Chol/Dear + all of Moore, Watson, CMac, Breust, and Ginnivan to try to overwhelm oppositions. We've managed Breust for exactly this set up on the run home. Dear will need some help getting through the last patch of the season as well so doubt we've seen the last of Gunston in 2024, just not sure it is this week.

I'd either go no change, or MacKenzie in for Finn as the sub.

Don't see why we need to make changes to a team that won by 60+ points. Finn was good when he came on.. it's not a long flight to Adelaide, so no reason to rest Breust fresh off a 4 goal game.

I think the weather conditions helped Sicily rack up 30+ on the weekend and it seems like he's still protecting himself, hopefully with another week under the belt his shoulder is a bit stronger and he's going to be a bit more comfortable with it.

Without watching the game, i kinda feel like the Crows had to play outta their skin to beat the Bombers and don't see them doing it two weeks in a row. Keays kicked some ripper goals (from the highlights) and don't see him kicking more than 3 this weekend. I think we play Adelaide Oval pretty well, so got us down for the win.
Should be dry on the day so better for Dear. The blokes a rabbit foot, can’t drop him. I felt confident that if things went pear we could send fin in to do a job. Mackenzie will be better for a run in the magoos. Can’t drop Breust. Looked the best he has all year. Sic is better than most with 1 arm. Ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

It was a weird game. Lots of turnovers from both sides. The Crows got on an amazing run in the second, kicked 8 straight and looked unstoppable.

For the rest of the game the Bombers had their measure and looked like they'd almost cruise to a win. Somehow the Crows found a way to kick the last few goals of the match and Snatch it. It wasn't through compelling football though. It happened despite a bunch of errors/blown chances.

We SHOULD be ok but don't want them to get on a roll at home.

I know it's different opposition this week!!
But this week we need to bury the demons of the Adelaide Oval!!

Is it as bad as people suggest?

Off the top of my head I'm remembering a stirring win against Adelaide in 2017.
Dylan Moore's career saving game in a flogging of Gold Coast.
Smashing Port Adelaide in Sam's second game as coach.
And we've lost by a combined 6 points at the venue this season.

All I know, Hardwick is averaging over 4 goals a game there this season. Play him forward!

Zero excuses, and should win comfortably.

Adelaide lose Dawson to concussion, Rankine already out, two KPD out and Keays a chance to be suspended.

Maginness for Mackenzie would be the only change I’d think about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play our best side until the Richmond bye.

That means Frenchy comes in.

Broooost was awesome so want him to play but if Gunners comes in for Dear would rest Brooost for team balance.

Sic to spend more time up forward.

Sic to rest vs Richmond but play vs Kangas.

Last edited:
Play our best side until the Richmond bye.

That means Frenchy comes in.

Broooost was awesome so want him to play but if Gunners comes in for Dear would rest Brooost for team balance.

Sic to spend more time up forward.

Sic to rest vs Richmond but play be Kangas.

We're 10-1 with Dear for a reason. The forward pressure and aerial presence he provides is critical structurally. The games where he takes the big marks and kicks important goals are just the cherry. I love Gunners but he doesn't provide those elements, and while I'm an advocate for playing the three talls you can't omit anyone after the game we had.

Frenchy falls victim to this as well and will likely need to wait until Ward or Maginness have a poor game.

Couldn’t agree more I just put a small but absolutely responsible wager on that double it’s crazy. No rankine Dawson butts Murray and dees who are awful travelling back from Perth against a resurgent giants.

We're 10-1 with Dear for a reason. The forward pressure and aerial presence he provides is critical structurally. The games where he takes the big marks and kicks important goals are just the cherry. I love Gunners but he doesn't provide those elements, and while I'm an advocate for playing the three talls you can't omit anyone after the game we had.

Frenchy falls victim to this as well and will likely need to wait until Ward or Maginness have a poor game.
Agree on Dear.

I’m assuming he was subbed out this time because he needed a longer rest, and will need the time out.

Frenchy was rested, not omitted, so also assuming an age-related issue and straight back in. If so, for who?

Based on what I saw he comes back in for an unlucky Maginness not award - both were good but award looked like he belonged in the side to me.

I don’t think we start Broooooost and Gunners in the same side again.

Agree on Dear.

I’m assuming he was subbed out this time because he needed a longer rest, and will need the time out.

I think it was purely tactical. Conditions didn't suit him and I think Sam saw an opportunity to really put Collingwood to the sword for some much needed percentage so brought Maginness on to expose them further with some extra run. Resting him was a bonus.

I think it was purely tactical. Conditions didn't suit him and I think Sam saw an opportunity to really put Collingwood to the sword for some much needed percentage so brought Maginness on to expose them further with some extra run. Resting him was a bonus.
Re- Dear , he Cramped up and couldn't shake it off.

don't be fooled by the win Adelaide had last week, defensive pressure of the Bombers in that second quarter was laughable, and if you take out those disastrous 12 mins of the second quarter, its a comfortable win for Essendon, even with the Keystone-cops like last 5 minutes.
The loss of Butts and Dawson hurts them, but a fresh Walker is a real bonus.
Big Lloyd so vital for us, if he continues his current line of form, it will be a very comfortable win.
Don't listen to the media bullshit about the cooked Pies, they ran into a red hot Hawks who played wet-weather football like it has never been played before. Never. Now to repeat the dose on a sunny day in Adelaide.
A mate's son played for Collingwood Saturday, after the game the talk in the Pies rooms was that the Pies players were incredulous of the pace and tenacity of the Hawks forwards.

I'm really glad they got over the line against Essendon. It means we're less likely to take them lightly, and will hopefully be on song from the first bounce. Then we can really turn this into a % booster.

It's a bad sign, but I'm so much more confident about this - despite it being away - than the Pies game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back