Preview Round 20, 2024: Adelaide Crows v Hawthorn, 28 July 2024, 4.10pm AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else worried about all the press we have had this week affecting this weeks performance, bit worried about how the youngsters would be handling all this.

Hopefully we aren’t drinking our own bath water
Yeah I'm worried, it's been full on. Everywhere you turn people singing Hawthorns praises. It just adds pressure imo, would prefer to be going under the radar a bit.

But....... I feel like Sam keeps them fairly grounded and we're working hard and enjoying our footy. They might handle it quite well but it's a bit of an unknown for me.

Anyone else worried about all the press we have had this week affecting this weeks performance, bit worried about how the youngsters would be handling all this.

Hopefully we aren’t drinking our own bath water
No chance when you have leaders like Day, Moore, Breust and Gunston keeping the boys level headed. Reality is despite how well we are playing were in 11th spot. There's no reason to be drinking any bathwater because we are not where we want to be yet. We are driven to play in September right now. Every week is a stepping stone to that.

Yep. Back this week.
With Tex.
Well that's good then, for us that is. Slow, old ,shit kick.
Honestly we better turn up as this week has been aal about the Hawks and it could be a soft approach by the players ( mentally). Cats got us big time after a similar week leading in to that game.

What will be will be. In saying that we are purring along and will be hard to beat. Hawks have a way more even side with our small forwards and midfield much superior to theirs. It's a natural thing to be anxious about a result but Adelaide are no Geelong at GHMBA stadium. Also we were without Ginny and Sic that day. Why not be quietly confident?

Hawks last time on top the the media charts was the week before the Geelong game. Never fired a shot. Hopefully another lesson learned.
Plenty of lessons have been learnt from poor experiences this year so hopefully this is another. We were hyped before that game and didn’t meet the level. The hype this week as been even greater, and it’s deserved after 3 great months and thumping the premier. But let’s hope that lesson has been learnt and the group maintains the standard. Our side is simply better than Adelaide’s, and quite comfortably with Dawson and Rankine out, so this should be a win.

So, Nash is going to play in the backline? Keays has predominantly played as a defensive forward all season and Nash plays out of the centre square. Keays had 16% CBA's on Friday night, and 0% the previous 6 games. This match up will not happen.

Keays more likely to try and go to Sicily, Amon or Impey.
Keays will play on Sicily - no doubt in my mind.

No way crouch gets up of the injury report is right he’s not even in contact training.

Crouch has been reevaluated after initially being ruled out for the season, with the midfielder in line to play again before the year's out. He responded well to surgery and has a surgical review this week to decide if he can resume contact training.

Key is clearances. Laird gets the ball wrapping round the back so less if a concern given his lack of penetration by foot. Soligo comes out the front of stoppage and Hinge has a long and precise left foot similar to Dawson. Win clearances and limit those 2 and we win easily.

No way crouch gets up of the injury report is right he’s not even in contact training.

Crouch has been reevaluated after initially being ruled out for the season, with the midfielder in line to play again before the year's out. He responded well to surgery and has a surgical review this week to decide if he can resume contact training.

Key is clearances. Laird gets the ball wrapping round the back so less if a concern given his lack of penetration by foot. Soligo comes out the front of stoppage and Hinge has a long and precise left foot similar to Dawson. Win clearances and limit those 2 and we win easily.
I'd say Keays is our biggest worry.

Looking at some stats I think the key to winning and winning well will be scoring from forward half turnovers and keeping the game played in our forward half.

Over the last 5 weeks it’s been a strength of ours and something they’ve struggled to defend. They’re 17th at scoring from their back half and we’re 1st at restricting scores starting from the opposition back half.

Additionally they have conceded the 3rd most scores starting in the opposition forward half in their last 5 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was purely tactical. Conditions didn't suit him and I think Sam saw an opportunity to really put Collingwood to the sword for some much needed percentage so brought Maginness on to expose them further with some extra run. Resting him was a bonus.
Sam said in the presser that Calsher was cramping and needed a rest.

I feel like worrying about any of Adelaide's players at the moment is misplaced, the only genuine worry for me is if we don't show up and execute. Over the past 5 games it's a tale of the best Centre Clearance team in terms of differential against the 2nd worst Centre Clearance team, the 3rd best Clearance Team against the 5th worst clearance team.

If we show up and can't execute through the middle, and give their talls too many opportunities, we're in trouble - but if that's the case we'd be in trouble against most sides. Ours to lose.

Hardwick has a good track record of stopping players like Keays. I'm more worried about their talls with quick ball delivery, but if our midfield rocks up they should cover theirs comfortably with Rankine and Dawson missing.
Assuming he tags Sicily. Which may mean we have to send him forward.

Then we'll have Frost, Weddle and Scrim, taking Tex, Thilthorpe and Fogarty.

It's the move that potentially can throw our structure out. If I'm Nicks, I'm 100% doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back