Preview Round 20, 2024: Adelaide Crows v Hawthorn, 28 July 2024, 4.10pm AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Calsher is having a bit of trouble running out the game, it may be time for Gunston to get another crack.
His maturity would be important for a game like this where we will go in as favourite.

If Gunston starts, that would mean that Breust goes to the Sub role, giving Finn the opportunity to play a full match, or alternatively bring Frenchy back in.

Assuming he tags Sicily. Which may mean we have to send him forward.

Then we'll have Frost, Weddle and Scrim, taking Tex, Thilthorpe and Fogarty.

It's the move that potentially can throw our structure out. If I'm Nicks, I'm 100% doing that.
Personally those are the three I'm expecting to line up on their forwards. For me, it's how hard our HFFs run up and back and disrupt their leading lanes. They've been pretty good at doing that in the past weeks so I'm not expecting any change on Sunday.

It's the move that potentially can throw our structure out. If I'm Nicks, I'm 100% doing that.

Players and teams try to stop Sis every week, he’s still only gone forward when his shoulder has been hampering him. Sis will play his usual role and the only way Adelaide stop him is by smashing us in the middle.

If they bring Tex in, between him and Thilthorpe they’ll have two big blokes that can’t move much. Scrim, Sis, Weddle, Imp, and Hardwick will cut it off all day if the movement is slow. Teams relying on big blokes taking pack marks is exactly what we want, because we set up for it.

Well that's good then, for us that is. Slow, old ,shit kick.
Honestly we better turn up as this week has been aal about the Hawks and it could be a soft approach by the players ( mentally). Cats got us big time after a similar week leading in to that game.
Cats got us because we were coming off an interstate trip and two consecutive byes.

the only way Adelaide stop Sicily is by smashing us in the middle.
The only way they stop Sicily is by letting us have our way in the middle, so it never enters their forward line.

Tex will be cactus once the ball hits the deck. Weddle should be able to at least provide a good contest to force it to ground and from there his athleticism should come to the fore and Tex will be hung out to dry. He's a solid unit so he won't get brushed aside in marking contests. That's the matchup they may look to exploit but we could also exploit it the other way. Scrim and Frosty will take the other 2 nothing surer.

Cats got us because we were coming off an interstate trip and two consecutive byes.
Not to mention Sicily, Ginni and Dear out injured robbing us of not only our best intercept mark but also forcing us to go with a slow forward line which really couldn't provide any defensive pressure in our forward 50. Geelong walzted the ball out of our F50 with eaise all light long.

All things combined we were ripe for the picking. Won't be the same on Sunday.

If Calsher is having a bit of trouble running out the game, it may be time for Gunston to get another crack.
His maturity would be important for a game like this where we will go in as favourite.

If Gunston starts, that would mean that Breust goes to the Sub role, giving Finn the opportunity to play a full match, or alternatively bring Frenchy back in.
This gets tricky as far as team selection is considered because McKenzie was listed as managed last week and he didn't play at Box Hill so you would assume he gets straight back in. As good as Finns has been in VFL leading up to his selection last week, it was a more of a double bluff move(IMHO) from Sam to select Finn and have all that talk about tagging Daicos and then starting him on the bench. We would love to bring Gunners back to say one final thank you to Adelaide for trading him out but he will have to play instead of Breust who probably is feeling pretty good about his recent form to back it up this week. Good luck to the selection committee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon give Gunner a run at BH next to Scaife if his finger is right. Blood Scaife against tigers or north with gunner as sub. I’m concerned that Gunner has to play too close to goal. Just doesn’t have the journey to be effective around the arc. I back Breust to be more dangerous if the ball spills out in the goal square.

Crows are pretty defensively loose. We are hard to score against and do a good job blunting opposition clearances (which was an issue in past).

We do look a bit shaky when opposition can get ball in deep and quick (eg cats game) as typically we have slowed opposition down and limit inside 50s. But not sure Adelaide’s midfield (missing Dawson and ranking) is good enough to do this. Thiltrope has been injured most of year but I rate him - he does have height to worry frost if he gets going as Tex and Fogarty are dangerous enough to drag defenders away. I expect Keays to go to Sicily - will be a good contest as Keats has shown can hit the scoreboard.

With Breust moving well we are overloading teams with our smalls. While ginni is getting the media, opposition probably locking down on Breust, Moore, MacDonald first, letting ginni and Watson to roam free. Also not sure crows have the interceptors to stop us bringing ball to ground.

Of note Adelaide oval is a narrower ground - we struggled down in Geelong but have been surprisingly good at marvel this year. We seem to be adept at adjusting our style this year to the ground (or weather last week).

Form lines suggest we should cruise to a 5+ goal win. But with bigger challenges in the following weeks is a chance crows give us a scare and coming off a game in the wet vs a bruise free game vs dons for the crows.

Angry tidbit about this week: General consensus amongst the AFL is that we’re the most entertaining team in the league, yet here we are starting the first of 4 (likely 5) Sunday games in a row.

AFL should be embarrassed.

On the game, their likely midfield of Berry, Laird, and Taylor is not exactly a scary prospect. If we have the expected dominance out of the middle we could really run away with this one, confidence is growing each day.

Hawks by 6+ goals.

Angry tidbit about this week: General consensus amongst the AFL is that we’re the most entertaining team in the league, yet here we are starting the first of 4 (likely 5) Sunday games in a row.

AFL should be embarrassed.

On the game, their likely midfield of Berry, Laird, and Taylor is not exactly a scary prospect. If we have the expected dominance out of the middle we could really run away with this one, confidence is growing each day.

Hawks by 6+ goals.
This part of the fixture was scheduled before it had become clear that our form wasn’t just a flash in the pan.

I can’t criticize them too much for not scheduling us some prime time based on that. I would for some of the clubs they have though. Adelaide, Saints, Richmond for example.

I am very optimistic that we will win this. Feel we should play Gunners in this. Not sure who to drop though may be Finn.
Idk if they change the forward line after kicking 20 goals though.
Gunner to assist Calsh obviously has its rewards but would he be of similar value assisting Jasper in the magoos?

He looked really bad at AFL level as a KPD. Had an absolute mare.

I wonder how he has been performing in the SANFL?
1721874652549.png

Numbers are OK without being massive. Not sure where he has been playing though? Last two weeks has kicked goals, so perhaps mid/forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back