Preview Round 20 2024 - Melbourne Demons vs GWS Giants, 7.30pm AEST Saturday 27 July, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The good thing about the last 3 games is that we've won them, notwithstanding some questions over how we've won them. Which sees us in 5th place on the ladder. But it's a very tenuous 5th place, with just 2 games between 2nd and 10th, so 1 loss can see us tumble out of finals. This round's results really didn't help us too much - at least not in putting any buffer between us and the chasing pack - so it remains for us to keep winning. The next 5 rounds will be a tough test for our boys, as they are all against finals contenders, and it starts next Saturday under lights at the G against Melbourne.

The very good thing about the wins has been our efficiency in F50, kicking straight and winning despite the lack of I50s. However, that could prove a weakness against other teams who are capable of squeezing our I50 count even further, or defending better. Melbourne at the G will be an interesting test. Their backline is definitely one that is capable of disrupting our forwards, but with injuries in their midfield, our misfiring midfield may not be so much on the backfoot. The loss of Christian Petracca, and Clayton Oliver's loss of form recently have been partly behind recent losses, as well as Max Gawn's absence over the last couple of games. He was originally meant to miss 3 games, but was listed as a test before the Freo game, but ultimately didn't play. If he is on the field next weekend, it will be a different Demons team.

For the Giants, Sam Taylor has been champing at the bit to get back on the field, and hopefully will do so next weekend. While Jack Buckley has done an excellent job for the most part in Sam's absence, Sam is such the backline general out there, that he'll help marshal the troops on top of his KPD role. Ironically, Melbourne is a team that we could actually go in one short on KPDs, given that they only have Van Rooyen and Fritsch, unless Gawn does return and they push Petty forward (or Petty back and MacDonald forward). Whoever makes way for Sam will be damned unlucky, as the whole defensive group has played well collectively. You would have to think that Joe Fonti might be that guy, unless they push him up onto a wing, and pushed someone else out.

The other possible returnee for GWS would be Cogs, but I guess it's likely to be a week-by-week proposition from now to see how his shoulder is. If not, I thought Peatling had a solid game, especially in the contest and presumably would retain his place. You would think that Bedford would tag Jack Viney initially - if we can stifle one of the two top-line mids in the contest, then our running game should be able to come into effect. We do need to have a plan to counter May & Lever though, rather than just bombing it in for them to intercept. If we do that, we'll court disaster. One of the best pieces of individual brilliance against the Suns was Darcy Jones' bullet pass to Jesse Hogan - we need more of those, plus KPFs leading out to receive the ball in the protected space in front of them.

I can't see too many changes other than players coming back from injury; Kingers will want to reward the team that's had wins on the trot.

Finally, it's the G, it's Saturday night primetime. We need to take advantage of this and play well, get another win at the grand final venue, knock a finals rival down another slot, and get some more confidence for the remaining home & away challenge.

A couple of personal milestone events that will make the Melbourne even more special: Jesse Hogan needs to kick just 1 goal to become the 3rd player in our history to kick at least 50 goals in a season - something that only Jeremy Cameron and Toby Greene have ever done before. Also Kingsley will be coaching his 45th game for us- thereby becoming the 2nd longest serving coach in our history, and going past our inaugural coach Sheedy’s 44 AFL games with us.

Keen for this one as I'll be down in Melbourne for it. :D

Happy to see the orange tsunami back and gotta say, watching us scoring from our defensive 50 on Saturday was chefs kiss. Great to watch.

Slammer and Cogs potentially both back this week. Still a couple areas to tidy up and strengthen our orange tsunami run but we've been on an upward trajectory overall so hoping for a win at the home of footy. 🏟️

Big weekend of footy coming up for moi, attending Carlton v Port, Saints v Essendon and then the game I'm most excited about, Dees v Giants game on Saturday evening :)

Would be great to be flying back with the 4 points banked. :D

Last edited:

Am concerned we are placing hopes in the returns of Cogs and Slammer.
Demons will be pissed with that loss today and playing at home.
We had a win, an easy one as the Suns couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn, but we are fighting week in week out with contenders. Will we stand up and tall?
I don't know that we're placing our "hopes" on their return, but clearly Slammer, Cogs and Chook - when fit - are best 22 and would help us win games.

If they're good to go, they'll come in, if not, we go with who we have.

GREATER Western Sydney knows if they want to win a premiership, they'll have to conquer their demons at the MCG.

A Saturday date with Melbourne looms and the Giants plan on making themselves comfortable at the Grand Final venue. Greater Western Sydney has won just eight out of 30 games played at the MCG across regular seasons and finals series since debuting in 2011. They lost all three matches in 2022, before claiming one out of three last season - their final match being a heartbreaking one-point preliminary final loss to eventual premier Collingwood.

Adam Kingsley's men were handed two home-and-away fixtures at the venue this year and won their first, beating a daring Richmond unit by 24 points in round 18. Another win at the venue will be crucial in their flag campaign and in-form goalkicker Jesse Hogan says his side are well aware.

"'Kingers' summed it up two weeks ago (against Richmond) when he said, 'If you're going to win the flag and hold up the cup, this is where you have to do it'," Hogan said on Monday. "Every opportunity we get to play there, we don't take it lightly. We were lucky enough to play a few finals at the end of the year last year and get a bit of experience there. It's a nice little precursor. I'm not going to say we're playing finals or anything by any stretch, but this is as close as it gets to without playing finals."

All-Australian defender Sam Taylor is expected to return to the side after recovering from a groin injury. Taylor had put his hand up for selection against Gold Coast last round but missed out.

(Notably, no mention of Cogs. When's the injury list come out?)

Keen for this one as I'll be down in Melbourne for it. :D

Happy to see the orange tsunami back and gotta say, watching us scoring from our defensive 50 on Saturday was chefs kiss. Great to watch.

Slammer and Cogs potentially both back this week. Still a couple areas to tidy up and strengthen our orange tsunami run but we've been on an upward trajectory overall so hoping for a win at the home of footy. 🏟️

Big weekend of footy coming up for moi, attending Carlton v Port, Saints v Essendon and then the game I'm most excited about, Dees v Giants game on Saturday evening :)

Would be great to be flying back with the 4 points banked. :D
I think worthwhile giving Cogs another week off, if the medicos think that will increase chances of him not getting injured again.
He needs to be able to be aggressive at the stoppages, not look to play non contact. Not blaming him if his shoulder is sore.
Melbourne have combined a couple of good performances with shocking over the last 5 weeks or so, another possibility is to start cigs as sub and then if we are going really well play him for limited minutes.
The forward line is a bit of a conundrum, there are reasons to drop Cadman but if we end up doing so and thrashing Melbourne it will be a shame to not have played him.

GREATER Western Sydney knows if they want to win a premiership, they'll have to conquer their demons at the MCG.

A Saturday date with Melbourne looms and the Giants plan on making themselves comfortable at the Grand Final venue. Greater Western Sydney has won just eight out of 30 games played at the MCG across regular seasons and finals series since debuting in 2011. They lost all three matches in 2022, before claiming one out of three last season - their final match being a heartbreaking one-point preliminary final loss to eventual premier Collingwood.

Adam Kingsley's men were handed two home-and-away fixtures at the venue this year and won their first, beating a daring Richmond unit by 24 points in round 18. Another win at the venue will be crucial in their flag campaign and in-form goalkicker Jesse Hogan says his side are well aware.

"'Kingers' summed it up two weeks ago (against Richmond) when he said, 'If you're going to win the flag and hold up the cup, this is where you have to do it'," Hogan said on Monday. "Every opportunity we get to play there, we don't take it lightly. We were lucky enough to play a few finals at the end of the year last year and get a bit of experience there. It's a nice little precursor. I'm not going to say we're playing finals or anything by any stretch, but this is as close as it gets to without playing finals."

All-Australian defender Sam Taylor is expected to return to the side after recovering from a groin injury. Taylor had put his hand up for selection against Gold Coast last round but missed out.

(Notably, no mention of Cogs. When's the injury list come out?)
Saying all the right things.

Make sure you back it up on the night, Giants.

We are last in the comp for clearances and I think about 16th for contested possessions. I know these aren’t everything, but it matches what I see with the eye. Really frustrating to watch so much ball in our back half.

I think we are at least one top quality mid short. Add to that our system in this phase of the game is extremely poor.
If nothing changes, it will get found out sooner or later. And there is really clear pattern to it across the last couple of months.

We need a large amount of improvement in this area over the next couple of weeks.

We are last in the comp for clearances and I think about 16th for contested possessions. I know these aren’t everything, but it matches what I see with the eye. Really frustrating to watch so much ball in our back half.

I think we are at least one top quality mid short. Add to that our system in this phase of the game is extremely poor.
If nothing changes, it will get found out sooner or later. And there is really clear pattern to it across the last couple of months.

We need a large amount of improvement in this area over the next couple of weeks.
It's definitely concerning. In the past 3 press conferences, Kingsley has alluded to us working on things that we're still not getting right and I'm 100% certain it's clearances and contested ball that he's referring to.

However it also gives a lot of cause for optimism I think. We are so damned good with our transition and outside ball movement that we're winning despite such poor stats in the middle of the ground. Our forward line, led by Hogan, is firing and we easily have the best set of small forwards in the comp at the moment. This is why we've been able to outscore opponents despite getting relatively low inside 50's. Super fast transition from turnover plus very dangerous forwards makes for extremely difficult entries to defend against.

Now if we can just improve our clearance and contested work, we will be damn near unstoppable.

Both common traits of Richmond and they won 3 flags with that profile.

Cogs and Kelly have missed a fair bit of football which hurts a lot for clearances.

If they can’t get near you, you don’t tend to rack up contested possessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This match has the vibes of a quasi-Elimination Final.

If we get Slammer back this week then we should have a legit 22 to fully compete without excuses.

Cogs and Kelly will be invaluable returns in coming weeks if we are to be competitive in the run home against the red-hot Lions and Poodles.

However, let’s first make it through Week 1 of what feels like an early finals series.

Season-defining game on Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Both common traits of Richmond and they won 3 flags with that profile.

Cogs and Kelly have missed a fair bit of football which hurts a lot for clearances.

If they can’t get near you, you don’t tend to rack up contested possessions.
Yes but they weren’t worst in the league at them iirc.

Yes but they weren’t worst in the league at them iirc.
In their 3 premierships for clearances the tigers were
18th
12th
16th

Contested possessions
6th
17th
13th

So with the exception of 2017 contested possessions they were below average at best in each category.

We are going alright. We are currently
Contested possessions: 4th
Clearances:12th

Last edited:
It's definitely concerning. In the past 3 press conferences, Kingsley has alluded to us working on things that we're still not getting right and I'm 100% certain it's clearances and contested ball that he's referring to.

However it also gives a lot of cause for optimism I think. We are so damned good with our transition and outside ball movement that we're winning despite such poor stats in the middle of the ground. Our forward line, led by Hogan, is firing and we easily have the best set of small forwards in the comp at the moment. This is why we've been able to outscore opponents despite getting relatively low inside 50's. Super fast transition from turnover plus very dangerous forwards makes for extremely difficult entries to defend against.

Now if we can just improve our clearance and contested work, we will be damn near unstoppable.
David King on First Crack on Fox did a small highlight on some of the defensive changes we've made to minimize the silly/soft goals we've been leaking at defensive stoppages. Nice to see the "working on things" stuff being shown and acknowledged. Cogs and Kelly back would have to improve our midfield at the pointy end.

David King on First Crack on Fox did a small highlight on some of the defensive changes we've made to minimize the silly/soft goals we've been leaking at defensive stoppages. Nice to see the "working on things" stuff being shown and acknowledged. Cogs and Kelly back would have to improve our midfield at the pointy end.
What kind of things did he highlight out of interest?

What kind of things did he highlight out of interest?
King wanted to highlight something positive and singled out changes to our defensive problems.
Our half backs in open play were more accountable 1 on 1 and still backed themselves to read the ball.
He showed vision of the thing that stood out at D50 stoppages.
All our guys were manned up, stayed goalside and looked "well-drilled".
Fox Footy did the thing with circles and freeze frame to make it look impressive...

So now that the injury list is in, here what I reckon our squad will look like against the Demons.

B: Idun, Taylor, Perryman
HB: Ash, Buckley, Whitfield
C: Ward, Green, Fonti/XOH
HF: Daniels, Riccardi, Thomas
F: Greene, Hogan, Jones
R: Briggs, Cogs, Callaghan
IC: Himmelberg, Bedford, Cadman, McMullin
Sub: Peatling

Not sure if we go with Fonti or XOH for that wing position. XOH has experience on the wing and is probably the safer choice, but Fonti is fast and has wonderful disposal. Either way I expect we stick with Peatling as the sub, as we'll need him in the event that Cogs hurts his shoulder again.

So now that the injury list is in, here what I reckon our squad will look like against the Demons.

Not sure if we go with Fonti or XOH for that wing position. XOH has experience on the wing and is probably the safer choice, but Fonti is fast and has wonderful disposal. Either way I expect we stick with Peatling as the sub, as we'll need him in the event that Cogs hurts his shoulder again.
I’d switch Peatling for XOH

We can’t expect Fonti to play wing after one offseason learning half back and just a few games at the level. Has to be XOH out of those two.

Apologies for the intrusion:

I note Cumming is an out for the Giants. I get these lower tier players (compared to the high profile GWS stars) in Cumming and Perryman mixed up.

Who is the better player out of Perryman and Cumming?

Will Cumming be missed or is he a bit of a 'meh' out?

Lastly, I expect you guys to beat us this week after our appalling performance last week. And quite frankly, I'd expect Giants fans to expect a win too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back