Autopsy Round 19 2024 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday July 20, 1.45pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

If we drop someone to bring Brown back it'll be a small
Cadman is so close to being really good. He got UP three times and got both hands to it. When they stick he will be dangerous.
I think this is the perfect apprenticeship under Hogan.
I'm not really sure what people are worried about with him. 2nd year key forward getting a lot of games under his belt. It'll click and when it does it'll be fantastic. Let Hogan go to work.

Bedford's kick streaming into forward 50 might be the worst I've ever seen

If we drop someone to bring Brown back it'll be a small
Cadman is so close to being really good. He got UP three times and got both hands to it. When they stick he will be dangerous.
I think this is the perfect apprenticeship under Hogan.
I'm not really sure what people are worried about with him. 2nd year key forward getting a lot of games under his belt. It'll click and when it does it'll be fantastic. Let Hogan go to work.

Bedford's kick streaming into forward 50 might be the worst I've ever seen
His handballing is also pretty bad.
Maybe he just needs to kick more, slow down a fraction before kicking it.
Hopefully get some players back next week, perhaps Taylor, Kelly still a couple of weeks and Cogs shoulder probably still an issue.

Last edited:
Cadman competes better in the air than Brown.
He’s an undersized 19 year old learning the hardest position in the game.
Put a few kgs on over the offseason and… well, look at JUH.
In the meantime, I just want him to bring the ball to ground and follow up.
Brown needs to show that he’s better in the contest before he gets back in.

Assuming Cogs and Slammer come in… and with Cumming out, who else do you think misses next week?
We need someone to play the wing role that Cumming plays…

Assuming Cogs and Slammer come in… and with Cumming out, who else do you think misses next week?
We need someone to play the wing role that Cumming plays…
Cogs for cumming and push Callaghan out on the wing cogs in the middle.

I think my man Fonti misses for slammer

The talk of Cadman for Brown won’t happen. If Cadman were to be pushed out of the side again at this point of the season it’s almost certainly going to be Keefe. Brown would be replacing a small and he isn’t playing that well in the VFL and out smalls at AFL level are playing well. Cadman’s form could be better but he is playing the Keefe role of last season in which there was little output statistically but structurally it was significant. I’m bullish that cadman can have a significant impact come finals if we persevere with him during the H&A

I’m not sure Cogs and Slammer come back this week.
Slammer has been essentially been signed off to play and was asking to play this week but the club said he had to train another week before coming back.

Unless something has changed ?

Star defender Sam Taylor will likely join Coniglio in the team next week after a lengthy discussion at training on Thursday where he pleaded to return against Gold Coast after surgery from a ruptured testicle.

"He mounted a really convincing case but ultimately we felt he was a little underprepared. Two weeks off, a week's worth of training, a little bit of a history with hamstring issues, we'd rather be safe than sorry," he said.

"He was a little bit more eager to play but he'll have a good training block and be fit to play against Melbourne."

Last edited:
Cadman competes better in the air than Brown.
He’s an undersized 19 year old learning the hardest position in the game.
Put a few kgs on over the offseason and… well, look at JUH.
In the meantime, I just want him to bring the ball to ground and follow up.
Brown needs to show that he’s better in the contest before he gets back in.
Brown has not regained his confidence since his suspension.

It’s really rattled him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thought I had on the whole Cadman thing is you have to look at the context of his drafting and expected growth pathway.

We lost Cameron & recruited a pretty much washed up & busted Hogan as a stop-gap. He hadn’t played a full season in forever. In his first year here he managed just 9 games & we went looking for a long-term Key Forward. The talk out of the club was that if Hogan played 12-15 games that’s a bonus. In his second year he managed 18 games for 35 goals - nothing more than serviceable.

If Hogan had have stayed that way you would be looking at Cadman getting 7-11 games to ply his trade & develop as that key forward target at AFL level. Which, for a young KPF would be great for his development. Give him a taste, blood him in the role & not put too much pressure on him to carry us. Then step it up a bit in his second year.

This year, there’s no one who doesn’t have Hogan in their AA (team not just squad). Nobody but nobody expected Hogan to be doing what he’s doing, certainly not when we recruited him and not even when we recruited Cadman to essentially take his place. What Hogan’s outstanding form has done, to some extent, is stifle Cadman’s development in the role he was drafted to do.

Another thought I had on the whole Cadman thing is you have to look at the context of his drafting and expected growth pathway.

We lost Cameron & recruited a pretty much washed up & busted Hogan as a stop-gap. He hadn’t played a full season in forever. In his first year here he managed just 9 games & we went looking for a long-term Key Forward. The talk out of the club was that if Hogan played 12-15 games that’s a bonus. In his second year he managed 18 games for 35 goals - nothing more than serviceable.

If Hogan had have stayed that way you would be looking at Cadman getting 7-11 games to ply his trade & develop as that key forward target at AFL level. Which, for a young KPF would be great for his development. Give him a taste, blood him in the role & not put too much pressure on him to carry us. Then step it up a bit in his second year.

This year, there’s no one who doesn’t have Hogan in their AA (team not just squad). Nobody but nobody expected Hogan to be doing what he’s doing, certainly not when we recruited him and not even when we recruited Cadman to essentially take his place. What Hogan’s outstanding form has done, to some extent, is stifle Cadman’s development in the role he was drafted to do.
In no way is Hogan stifling Cadmans development. Receiving the third best defender and not having the pressure to deliver for a finals bound team whilst learning from hogan is only a plus for his development

In no way is Hogan stifling Cadmans development. Receiving the third best defender and not having the pressure to deliver for a finals bound team whilst learning from hogan is only a plus for his development
Maybe phrased badly - see my post above about the differences between being the focal point and the 3rd tall forward and what he does at VFL level vs what he does at AFL level - I meant it in that context.

But you’re right, he’s learning off Hogan and will be better for it - which is why we should probably get off his back a bit.

So I just watched the replay after going to the game yesterday.

My god the commentators were dick-riding Gold Coast so hard it was deadset nauseating to listen to. Literally complaining when the Suns didn't get free kicks going there way. Every bit of commentary was "what can the Suns do here to get in front?" You'd be forgiven for thinking there was only one team out there.

I think Healy actually forgot the name of our team after Greene's over-the-head goal.

My god the commentators were dick-riding Gold Coast so hard it was deadset nauseating to listen to. Literally complaining when the Suns didn't get free kicks going there way. Every bit of commentary was "what can the Suns do here to get in front?" You'd be forgiven for thinking there was only one team out there.

I think Healy actually forgot the name of our team after Greene's over-the-head goal.
Good call.
Mrs Aglett picked up on that, too.
I can understand it to a point - 2 low-drawing teams and one team is well on top in the 2nd half - they need to keep people watching. But it felt like they weren't being objective in their commentary.

I heard that Healy had picked the Suns to win so maybe he had a punt on them as well.

Good call.
Mrs Aglett picked up on that, too.
I can understand it to a point - 2 low-drawing teams and one team is well on top in the 2nd half - they need to keep people watching. But it felt like they weren't being objective in their commentary.

I heard that Healy had picked the Suns to win so maybe he had a punt on them as well.
I find that a lot when we play.

I was at a pub in Port. Obviously the sound they had on was the Stain Kilda game - which is never a bad thing because yeah, commentators and umpires both hate us

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 2024 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday July 20, 1.45pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back