Preview Round 20 2024 - Melbourne Demons vs GWS Giants, 7.30pm AEST Saturday 27 July, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for the intrusion:

I note Cumming is an out for the Giants. I get these lower tier players (compared to the high profile GWS stars) in Cumming and Perryman mixed up.

Who is the better player out of Perryman and Cumming?

Will Cumming be missed or is he a bit of a 'meh' out?

Lastly, I expect you guys to beat us this week after our appalling performance last week. And quite frankly, I'd expect Giants fans to expect a win too.
They play quite different roles … Pez is a hard nosed defender who can sneak forward and kick a goal … Cumming is a good winger who can take a mark link up and has a big kick for goal. Pez is less replaceable at the moment, but no Cumming with Kelly already out does hurt

Clearances aren't really our game style. Briggs is probably our best clearance player. We move the ball by handball and when we get that right, we are best in the league. We are getting better at stopping teams getting a run on and the defence is getting back to where it was last year. I think our biggest flaw with clearances and Tom Green in particular, is they stand too far away from the ruck contest. The circle rule doesn't help and lately umpires are not re-bouncing balls that dont go up straight. It's a low percentage play to think a ruckman can palm balls to advantage 1-2 metres away, looks great when it does but it rarely comes off. I think Gawn will definitely play so his ankle needs to be tested, Briggs needs to run him around and jump into him early as much as he can, I doubt Gawn will be wanting to jump much.

Clearances aren't really our game style. Briggs is probably our best clearance player. We move the ball by handball and when we get that right, we are best in the league. We are getting better at stopping teams getting a run on and the defence is getting back to where it was last year. I think our biggest flaw with clearances and Tom Green in particular, is they stand too far away from the ruck contest. The circle rule doesn't help and lately umpires are not re-bouncing balls that dont go up straight. It's a low percentage play to think a ruckman can palm balls to advantage 1-2 metres away, looks great when it does but it rarely comes off. I think Gawn will definitely play so his ankle needs to be tested, Briggs needs to run him around and jump into him early as much as he can, I doubt Gawn will be wanting to jump much.
I'm 100% we would be trying to win clearances....and the rebound game is to back that up when the other team win the clearance and in generally play.

Those two quarters against Carlton when we dominated clearance and scored from them....and also scored from our back half drive is how we want to play.

Centre clearance is super important.

From Zerohanger about contested clearances in our upcoming game:

Melbourne vs GWS - contested possessions

The Demons were beaten significantly in the contest against Fremantle last week and will need their talent to stand up to another challenging midfield. Melbourne recorded 36 less contested possessions than Fremantle, as Clayton Oliver and Trent Rivers struggled to have an impact, recording 18 and 19 disposals each.

The Giants boast contested bulls in Tom Green, Kieren Briggs and Finn Callaghan, who average 13.6, 10.7 and 8.1 contested possessions respectively. With Demons players out of form, the Giants have a prime opportunity to land a huge blow to Melbourne's finals chances in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is looking like Cogs won't get up for the Demons' game.

Team Tips: The Giants are starting to hit some form at the right time of the season and competition for places is really healthy right now. Star defender Sam Taylor will return after a nasty testicle injury, while Stephen Coniglio is seemingly still unavailable, as per reporter Daniel Garb’s observations on Thursday. The veteran midfielder remains a week-by-week proposition as he deals with a troublesome shoulder concern.

I'd suggest there will be just one change: Sam Taylor for Isaac Cumming. Fonti will probably push up onto a wing, where he has played in VFL this year I believe (and pre-draft).

It is looking like Cogs won't get up for the Demons' game.

Team Tips: The Giants are starting to hit some form at the right time of the season and competition for places is really healthy right now. Star defender Sam Taylor will return after a nasty testicle injury, while Stephen Coniglio is seemingly still unavailable, as per reporter Daniel Garb’s observations on Thursday. The veteran midfielder remains a week-by-week proposition as he deals with a troublesome shoulder concern.

I'd suggest there will be just one change: Sam Taylor for Isaac Cumming. Fonti will probably push up onto a wing, where he has played in VFL this year I believe (and pre-draft).

Puts a bit of pressure on Peatling et al to continue to step up, but feel its great for our development as a whole.

Bedford to Rivers? Or Kosi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back