Game Day Round 20 - Ess v WCE - 11/8 @ ES

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton FC
Fear not, for I have returned! Sure, you may have enjoyed @QS’ funnier, more informative and far shorter preview last week, not to mention the win that went with it, but you need to stop living in the past. As much as I’d love to hang the boots up for the season and nurse my injuries back to health, it seems the match committee are hell bent on torturing me for the next four weeks. So let’s give it a crack.

I’ll be honest, I did not see a single second of the Gold Coast game. It’s the first time in a very long time that I’ve missed an Eagles match and not been overly arsed whether I caught a replay during the week or not, but thanks to Twitter and all of you lovely folk on here, I feel as if I got a pretty good handle on things. We stunk up the place against a team that is one preseason away from completely overtaking us, but thanks to some interesting umpiring and a sexy goal from EMac, we managed to get the win. I suppose we shouldn’t have expected much different, considering we are now down to our fifth string midfield, but it’s certainly no fun being run so close by sides we should be taking care of. It was good to see JK get amongst the goals again, as his run for the Coleman is pretty close to all we have to be interested in for the rest of this season. Apart from that, did anything good really happen? Anyone else play that well? It didn’t really sound like it. Seems as if we can move on pretty quickly then.

watsonpic.jpg

And move on we shall, to a game that I’m sure we are all looking forward to. That’s right, it’s the Bombers! Those brave and honourable bastards from Windy Hill that triumphantly stood up to us and our yucky crowd a month or so ago to record a famous victory. The club whose champion coach is being thrown under the bus by the jilted former employees that did him wrong. Whose players are all the innocent victims in an unjust and ugly witch hunt. I’m pretty sure I went on a similar rant in the preview of the first game against them, and to be completely honest not much has changed in the time since then. We know they took performance enhancing drugs, we know the coach was a part of putting the program together, and we know that they were, at best, incredibly negligent in their operations and decision making. And we are all still pretty confident that they are going to cop something closely resembling a slap on the wrist. We saw the worst of citizen journalism the other night, when for a glorious half hour it appeared that Hird’s departure was imminent, but that turned out to be jarg. Mark Ricciuto has claimed something similar during the week, but Essendon were swift in releasing media statement 275 to discredit those rumours. So who knows how it will finish up, but for now we just get to keep on watching the lies unravel.

121947-wc-v-ess-2.jpg

Oh right, football! The thing we are doing on Sunday! Truthfully, we are probably going to get bummed all over the show, but it’s not really about results for us anymore. We want to see improvement in our young players and in our midfield, and we want to see Josh Kennedy kick bags of goals every week. Insanely, we’ve dropped one of the most promising youngsters to debut for us this season in Adam Carter, but at this point of time crazy team selections are to be expected. A few kinda injured players may well return, and will no doubt go down injured again by half time. What was that definition of insanity again? McGinnity, LeCras, Masten and Priddis have all been named as ins for the week, but it’s highly unlikely that they will all return for this match. At a guess, I’d say McGinnity and Priddis will play, while the others will get another week’s rest. I base that prediction on absolutely nothing.

There’s not much else to talk about really. Glass signed on for another year, which is great news. He’s been pretty close to our best player this season, and his renewal may prove to be the first of a few in the coming weeks and months. Maybe he believes that we can still have one more serious crack at it next season? I don’t know why he would think that, but it’s a nice thought nonetheless. There’s also some word that Naitanui will play again this season, a decision that could lead to a complete mental breakdown for yours truly. The club have made some pretty poor decisions this season, but that one would be the worst of the lot. Fingers crossed they see some sense.

111364-jobe-watson.jpg

I reckon that’ll just about do it for this week, given that Eagles related enthusiasm is at an extreme low and we will more than likely get done by a team of cheats this week. But maybe we could go and do the league a solid and knock them over on their own patch. And maybe then everyone would like us? Maybe not.

Who cares, go Eagles and that.

Hutchi had a good game last week (no Priddis) and scored his first goal. It would be really smart to build on that and play him through the remaining games. Build his confidence and set him up for next season. So I'm expecting him to be dropped this week .....

All the (continued) bombers controversy this week, expect them to fall apart.. and only win by 30 or so. The prospect of losing all their premiership points will certainly undermine their effort, but they'll still be harder at the ball then our lot. When Kennedy kicks his fifth I'll be content

Hutchi had a good game last week (no Priddis) and scored his first goal. It would be really smart to build on that and play him through the remaining games. Build his confidence and set him up for next season. So I'm expecting him to be dropped this week .....

I'm not sure I actually like Priddis and Hutch in the same team tbh.

Credit to hutch tho, he has played well and I'd say even if he didn't play again he has had a great debut season. Will be interesting if he can add some more strings to his bow and what another pre-season can do for him. But ultimately I think the lack of class or pace are working against him if he ever wants to be a feature in the best 22.

We shall stand tall as representatives of all that is good in the face of the heathen drug cheats.
Regardless of the score it will be a moral victory, just like those fine Olympians who were cheated by the East Germans.
Or, they could implode and we get a lucky win!

Perhaps Cuz could do the coin toss!

Unfortunately this may be true to form for our MC, but Hutch shouldnt worry about it. He just needs to keep his head up, keep building his confidence, take the game on and just let his onfield actions and everyone else do the talking on his behalf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Brown, Glass, Wilson
HB: Butler, Mackenzie, Smith
C: Gaff, Wellingham, Dalziell
HF: Cripps, Kennedy, Hill
F: Schofield, Lycett, Darling
Foll: Cox, S Selwood, Sheppard
I/C: Masten, LeCras, Priddis, McGinnity
Emg: Embley, Hams, Hutchings
In: Masten, LeCras, Priddis, McGinnity
Out: Carter, Embley, Hams, Hutchings

Why was Hutchings dropped? he was one of our best last week....got a feeling he flew over and will play instead of Priddis. Surprised Embley got dropped as figured he would play his 250th next week.

Why was Hutchings dropped? he was one of our best last week....got a feeling he flew over and will play instead of Priddis. Surprised Embley got dropped as figured he would play his 250th next week.

Priddis - the super-sub

Cannot believe Hutch was dropped, has showed he is not a one trick pony, actually tagged Jobe last time and did a fairly good job until jobe moved to the forward line away from him. He was clearly in our best 5 last week with his clearance work and effort around the packs really important. Mcginnity has obviously come in for Carter but I don't think he gives us enough offensively to be a factor.

Getting harsh with these previews. Particularly; [quote="against a team that is one preseason away from completely overtaking us[/quote]
I don't think so, even if next year's run with injury is a carbon copy of this year's. I understand that we shouldn't expect to be front runners of the competition, but to suggest that there has been zero development over this year is to be naive. Like I said, I don't expect us to be the best (next year) but certainly better than this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 20 - Ess v WCE - 11/8 @ ES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back