Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping Brad makes a few changes…
Need pace against Saints - bring in Hind and Davey - Hind plays back, Martin forward
Cox & Jones to rotate wing/CHF
2MP & Draper rotate ruck only - neither as a key forward...
Stringer SUB - needs a rocket

OUT: Menzie, Guelfi, Perkins, Goldy
IN: Hind, Davey, Hobbs, 2MP

Redman McKay Kelly
Ridley Lav McGrath
Cox Caldwell Duursma
Martin Jones Gresham
Langford Caddy Davey

2MP Durham Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Hind Draper
SUB: Stringer
Bringing in Wright to only play ruck?

Good way to get us a top 5 pick

Maybe things not as bad as were suggesting

We've been inaccurate, we've had shitty i50 entries, we've also conceded horrendous transition goals giving the opposition very easy i50 entries and shots on goal.

We probably should have won against Adelaide based on the scoring opportunities we had, but I also don't think we'd have deserved it. Twice they forced the game back on to their terms by playing man-on-man and we couldn't cope, twice we got ourselves ahead because Adelade slacked off and it allowed us to score. I don't think we really forced the game on to our terms in any meaningful way.

We had a patch earlier in the season where the inverse was true. We kept winning despite the "expected score" going against us.

Proves one of two things (possibly both), either the "expected score" data, while interesting on the surface, doesn't mean much at all, or the old saying is true - things are not always as good or as bad as they seem.

We had a patch earlier in the season where the inverse was true. We kept winning despite the "expected score" going against us.

Proves one of two things (possibly both), either the "expected score" data, while interesting on the surface, doesn't mean much at all, or the old saying is true - things are not always as good or as bad as they seem.
The latter for me

The dogs have been a good side all year based on their xscore, tide is turning for them now

It has its place though. The issue being when sides get 40 points up like dees, they tend to take their foot off the throat

No, **** these pricks.

Not going to the game until they win a final.
I'm aware I may never go to the football again.
Sick of this shit
Me too.....
I believe the trouble with old time supporters is that we got used to the 83-86 sides, the 93 morphing into 99-00-01 then, well we all have seen the results since. An era of 4 Flags, should have been 6-7 of strong - mentally, physically - players, coaches, back office and supporters.
Guys like Bomber, a sparky, Vander, who would be building concrete swimming pools, during the day, then train and play and win and repeat.
The game is played from the neck up.
The mental weakness of this lot is on show week after week. Simple 15m kicks at goal become a mind f*** and they crumble like ice in the desert. Langford, Bighead #2, Stringer on ANZAC Day etc have all missed these. All have cost us games.
Raining? "Oh we don't like that" - Goodbye 2nd spot....
Adelaide at 15th (?) - "Ooh too hard at the aget" - see above....
Remember the minimum these FULL TIME PROFESSIONALS :)rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D😂) get is $200-$300k pa.
Are you telling me that in all they have to do is kick a pig skin at a target 21' or 7m wide from 15 is too hard? Come on...
I would send out the door all the mentally weak (some physical? Dunno. Anyone who crosses the white line is tough) and recruit only those with the mental toughness to win clutch games and important to the WHOLE CLUB - ie US - regularly.
This lot is totally weak as piss. St Kilda will flog us as we have already left the building mentally for Ibiza.
Rant over.

Me too.....
I believe the trouble with old time supporters is that we got used to the 83-86 sides, the 93 morphing into 99-00-01 then, well we all have seen the results since. An era of 4 Flags, should have been 6-7 of strong - mentally, physically - players, coaches, back office and supporters.
Guys like Bomber, a sparky, Vander, who would be building concrete swimming pools, during the day, then train and play and win and repeat.
The mental weakness of this lot is on show week after week. Simple 15m kicks at goal become a mind f*** and they crumble like ice in the desert. Langford, Bighead #2, Stringer on ANZAC Day etc have all missed these. All have cost us games.
Remember the minimum these FULL TIME PROFESSIONALS :)rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D😂) get is $200-$300k pa.
Are you telling me that in all they have to do is kick a pig skin at a target 21' or 7m wide from 15 is too hard? Come on...
I would send out the door all the mentally weak (some physical? Dunno. Anyone who crosses the white line is tough) and recruit only those with the mental toughness to win clutch games and important to the WHOLE CLUB - ie US - regularly.
This lot is totally weak as piss. St Kilda will flog us as we have already left the building mentally for Ibiza.
Rant over.

Old School Yes GIF

Nah forward ball movement and forward efficiency as well as defensive 50 efficiency has been terrible. Some of the worst in the competition. Throw expected wins out of the window if it becomes a consistent problem. It’s useful to highlight anomalies, but when it’s consistent, then you become an average side like the Bulldogs have been since 2021 (until the last couple of weeks).

Also, compare us to a side like Hawthorn who have probably won less of the expected scores. Though we’d be higher on both the real ladder and the ladder based on expected scores, they are far better than us this year.

The last 7 weeks IMO is a reflection of where we’re actually at rather than it being some anomaly. I think we over performed in the first half and the predicted drop off exposed how average the side really is.

In: Parish, Hobbs, Hind, A Davey, Roberts
Out: Guelfi, Menzie, Kelly, Perkins, Goldstein

B: Ridley - McKay - McGrath
HB: Redman - Laverde - Martin
C: Duursma - Merrett - Jones
HF: Gresham - Cox - Stringer
F: A Davey - Caddy - Langford
R: Draper - Caldwell - Durham
I/C: Parish - Shiel - Roberts - Hind
Sub: Hobbs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I am a massive believer in expected score but we have certainly been producing similar or more shots at goal and our inside 50 numbers are good. We have been creating opportunity but we have managed to butcher it too much.

Neither Wright nor Heppell should be back in until they have served their penance in the VFL.

Tough shit we had bye.
100%. I don't know why everyone wants Wright back in this week when he hasn't even played a game in the VFL to regain some type of form

We should not be rushing back parish has disaster written all over it. He should come back through the vfl
1. He always comes back rusty regardless so it’s not like he’ll hit the ground running
2. He’s on a long term deal, we can’t afford to have his calf become a long term issue. Coming back and playing on ball after a 3 month lay off is a huge risk.

100%. I don't know why everyone wants Wright back in this week when he hasn't even played a game in the VFL to regain some type of form

Not even about form imo- even though we scored alot last we we missed him. I liken him a bit to Dixon at port- hes and ahd beat up, and might not mark everything but hes their true north, they are aimless without him, and he draws a crowd releasing others. 2mp a bit the same to us

Not even about form imo- even though we scored alot last we we missed him. I liken him a bit to Dixon at port- hes and ahd beat up, and might not mark everything but hes their true north, they are aimless without him, and he draws a crowd releasing others. 2mp a bit the same to us
Really? Recent stats would should we play better without him. We look for other options and we actually find targets inside 50 rather then bombing to Peter

We'd have beaten Adelaide with him... But that's probably more due to them being down 2 tall defenders on the night
The issue against Adelaide wasn’t our forward half, we had more than enough chances. The reason we didn’t beat Adelaide was because our whole backline was pathetic

Me too.....
Rant over.
Now that's a rant.
What we have here is a lack of communication, we have a b+ list with a b+ list coach.
Someone somewhere needs to MAKE A NOISE.

OUT: Kelly, Lav, Jones, Guelfi, Shiel, Perkins, Goldy
IN: Reid, SEH, Hunter, Parish, Davey, Hind, Bryan

Ridley McKay Redman
Martin Reid McGrath
Cox Parish Duursma
SEH Caddy Davey
Langford Hunter Stringer

Bryan Durham Merrett

Bench: Cadwell Tsatas Gresham Draper
SUB: Hind

Have to think with you bunch at rock bottom this is the week we come out and play our best footy. Badly out of form but I hope they don't just give up. Cats looked finished not long ago. Unlikely we win a final but a competitive one would be enough for me given the stage of rebuild we are at.

Just go small up forward. No 2mp, Draper or Goldy. Force them to kick to a lead. 2mp needs to clunk some and kick a bag in the 2s and if he can't move him on.

Perkins and Goldy out to start with. Guelf obviously and maybe Kelly.

In Hind, Roberts, Hobbs. Parish sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back