Autopsy Round 21, 2018: Essendon v St.Kilda *Ross' 100th*

Remove this Banner Ad

Just realised that of the 3 teams we've played twice this year, two of them are 1st and 3rd on the ladder, and the other one is 7th.

So we haven't played any of the bottom 11 ranked teams twice so far, and the two teams we play for the 2nd time in this last two rounds are currently 4th and 10th on the ladder!

So of our 5 double-up games for the year, three of them could end up having been against teams who finish top 4, another will have been against another team that almost certainly plays finals, and the other will have been against a team that is likely to have won 12 or 13 games!

We've sucked balls this year, but by crickey, our draw for the 2nd year in a row sure as shit hasn't helped us.

Look for us to get a way way easier one next year (and a much worse one from a commercial POV!).

Just realised that of the 3 teams we've played twice this year, two of them are 1st and 3rd on the ladder, and the other one is 7th.

So we haven't played any of the bottom 11 ranked teams twice so far, and the two teams we play for the 2nd time in this last two rounds are currently 4th and 10th on the ladder!

So of our 5 double-up games for the year, three of them could end up having been against teams who finish top 4, another will have been against another team that almost certainly plays finals, and the other will have been against a team that is likely to have won 12 or 13 games!

We've sucked balls this year, but by crickey, our draw for the 2nd year in a row sure as shit hasn't helped us.

Look for us to get a way way easier one next year (and a much worse one from a commercial POV!).
Good post ARR.

Compare that to Melbourne who haven't managed to win this year against any top 8 side and still currently inside the 8.
Never be an even draw with 18 teams but this year and last certainly tough for Saints.

i think i've figured out why ross's disposals aren't particularly damaging. I think over the past few years ross has been working at finding that sweet spot between damaging and not too damaging. he knows if he uses it too well he'll cop a tag, so he purposely limits his use in order to avoid the tag, for the betterment of the team. Now he's gone from getting 30s to 40s. If he used it better he'd be stuck in the 20s.

smart player

also, who said hungover sundays couldn't be productive??

Ross's ball use has been vastly better the last couple of weeks, much closer to how it was in 2016 and for the first 10 or so rounds last year.

Three weeks ago he had a diabolical 10 turnovers from his 30 disposals, but that may have been the wake-up-call he needed, as the last two weeks he's had just the 8, from 83 disposals and gone at about 80% DE.

He's been right back to his very best the last two and it's been a big relief to see, as we badly need him playing his best and for Stuv to join him.

Neither have been at their previous B&F best this year and it's had a lot to do with our drop in form overall.

Good post ARR.

Compare that to Melbourne who haven't managed to win this year against any top 8 side and still currently inside the 8.
Never be an even draw with 18 teams but this year and last certainly tough for Saints.
Dont think Melbourne have beaten a team in about the top 10 as of a few days ago!

Amazing when you consider that last year they won something like 6 from 6 against teams who finished from about 5th to 10th from memory!

Ross's ball use has been vastly better the last couple of weeks, much closer to how it was in 2016 and for the first 10 or so rounds last year.

Three weeks ago he had a diabolical 10 turnovers from his 30 disposals, but that may have been the wake-up-call he needed, as the last two weeks he's had just the 8, from 83 disposals and gone at about 80% DE.

He's been right back to his very best the last two and it's been a big relief to see, as we badly need him playing his best and for Stuv to join him.

Neither have been at their previous B&F best this year and it's had a lot to do with our drop in form overall.
sounds accurate, however that doesn't really support my mind blowing theory so...

Dont think Melbourne have beaten a team in about the top 10 as of a few days ago!

Amazing when you consider that last year they won something like 6 from 6 against teams who finished from about 5th to 10th from memory!
Yeah the Dees have no heart. Long long build for them.
We on the other hand.....

I don't see it as a bad thing. To beat the best you have to learn from them. The only way you learn is by playing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did the numbers the other day, and our "double ups" were the hardest in the competition, with Sydney second and Essendon 3rd. As it currently stands, we only replay one team who isnt in the top 8.

In contrast, Melbourne sit 17th and haven't had a double up with anyone in the top eight (which will change as Geelong have Freo and GC the next two rounds so will go back in). And Richmond sit 14th with only 1 team in the top 8, Collingwood who are 5th (soon to be two with Geelong re-entering the 8).

I know you cant predict where teams will finish the following year, but we couldn't have had a harder draw this year.

I hate to be a bad loser but another positive out of tonight is that the bombers will miss the finals and haven't won one since 2001

Yea I sure am dreaming about those 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 finals wins. Definitely haven't won a final since 2001.

Did you really venture all the way over here twice to correct one of our posters and tell us that it has not been 17 years since you won a final, that it is actually 14 years?

I ask because we are still struggling to adjust to what it is like to be completely irrelevant and have nothing to look forward to. The Bombers appeared to have mastered this over the last decade and a half, and we would appreciate knowing how your supporters handle it.

After all, the Bombers have GC, Brisbane and even Carlton covered in their ability to not matter at all in September any time in the last 15 or so years ...

Last edited:
I did the numbers the other day, and our "double ups" were the hardest in the competition, with Sydney second and Essendon 3rd. As it currently stands, we only replay one team who isnt in the top 8.

In contrast, Melbourne sit 17th and haven't had a double up with anyone in the top eight (which will change as Geelong have Freo and GC the next two rounds so will go back in). And Richmond sit 14th with only 1 team in the top 8, Collingwood who are 5th (soon to be two with Geelong re-entering the 8).

I know you cant predict where teams will finish the following year, but we couldn't have had a harder draw this year.
They are certainly eye popping stats there BrutThough.

It doesn't say much for Melb…..their still yet to beat anyone in the 8.

One can't help but wonder where Melb would be on the ladder with 3 or 4 double ups.

They are certainly eye popping stats there BrutThough.

It doesn't say much for Melb…..their still yet to beat anyone in the 8.

One can't help but wonder where Melb would be on the ladder with 3 or 4 double ups.

From the main board … Melbourne and Collingwood are 25 & 15 this year. Sounds like they are going well right?

The W-L (& percentage) for Melbourne and Collingwood combined in 2018:

1-14 & % apprx 78 vs the current top 9
24-1 & % apprx 162 vs the current bottom 9

The one win was Collingwood over Melbourne. The one loss was us beating Melbourne.

Melbourne are flat track bullies and the Buckley renaissance is a myth. Both are actually rubbish against good opposition. Sure we are bad, but Collingwood and Melbourne (2 teams comparable to us over the last few years) haven't actually improved that much more!

Last edited:

well picked out brut - but still its been not a good year

did you see the article in the paper saying we should of kept montagna and roo another year.
the media hype is over the top

roo , could of still played on one leg but the story about he forgot that his sister died after a head knock just confirmed he should of retired / at the same time would paddy of got a game
montagna was useful but webster and dmac have come out of there shell since he went and leadership wise they never really groomed anyone so why keep them in the squad

leadership is a huge hole in the team and having geary in the team as captain maybe a feel good thing but really he is a very average player and a leader has to lead from the front and the guy can't really hold his own, even thought he would give everything for the club

if we can't secure a captain through trade ross has to be made as the captain and next year is the year he should take over , we have steven , carlisle .

our team will be far better next year with bruce , roberton back into the team and hopefully improvement in the players /
i'm still hoping we can secure a gaff class player to bolster our squad and i don't want to trade out any of our guys that are under 24

From the main board the W-L (& percentage) for Melbourne and Collingwood combined in 2018:

1-14 & % apprx 78 vs the current top 9
24-1 & % apprx 162 vs the current bottom 9

The one win was Coll over Melbourne. The one loss was us over Melbourne.

Melbourne are flat track bullies and the Buckley renaissance is a myth. Both are actually rubbish against good opposition
I'll use the same 2 words as I used for Brut's post above.

Eye popping!!!!!!!

You wouldn't get that level of detail from the general footy media...…...It was only a few weeks back I saw in the Hun headlines...….the words Pies and flag in the same sentence.

I thought WTF.

I suspected the above was the case....and yes...Pies have had some injuries but the way you presented the above Enclosed.....it's just so glaring re the 2 clubs.

Odd. Why would they do this that this late in the year? Earlier t could have been used. Now it is just a farce.
Can confirm that Essendon did the same this year. Inflates the membership numbers (for attracting sponsors and letting the AFL say there are 1M members) and effectively costs the club nothing because with only a few home games left and we are far from filling the stadium so a couple of freebie attendees (if they go) is neither here nor there.

Guys sorry I'm late to the party, l was getting my wallet emptied at the snow and didn't get to see the game.
Seriously, what's the conclusion on Lewie Pierce after that? I've had him pegged as a list clogger, but from his numbers it looks like the ruckman we needed has been unable to break past the two we don't need. Can we now trade Billy and Hick? Please say yes!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2018: Essendon v St.Kilda *Ross' 100th*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back