Autopsy Round 21, 2018: Essendon v St.Kilda *Ross' 100th*

Remove this Banner Ad

So disappointing. You must be disappointed. It's disappointing to see a disappointing loss in front of a dissapointed crowd culminating in a disappointing season. Was really dissapointed with the dissapointing commentary from the usual dissapointments on a dissapointing friday night telecast.

On a less dissapointing note Essendon are the bogey team of the comp for past 2 years. Can be dissapointing one week then outstanding the next. As an outsider looking in I thought Saints looked young and inexperienced lastnight. Need to adjust that for next season. Can't have 18 teams in the finals so chins up for next year.
Thanks mate.
Lycett and Gaff will help set us up for a better 2019

Short answer…....NO.

Pretty clear Alan is a moron ( nice bloke ) staggering really.

Particularly with so much experience in AFL.

The players are making simple mistakes because they don’t care , they don’t believe in the coaches
philosophy , if he says pleasing one more time I will vomit , nauseatingly so.

Webster is classic example good footballer but is dumb , makes rookie mistakes , knows he will get
a game next week unchallenged.

Newnes to me looks lost , has done for most of the year .
Why he has played given his form in current role mystifying .

Steven is another good footballer playing dumb , making rookie mistakes by trying too hard .

Carlisle plays well early taking intercept marks most weeks, opposition take his influence out
by change of tactics , our coaching doesn’t change & then play him forward .

Armitage being played half back flank pretty much sums Richardson played him on McLean & Hunter
last week & Essendons fastest player in forward line.
Responds past game both weeks like what I see with David playing there, by the way there are men
in White coats waiting for you Alan post season , rubber room included.

Never seen anyone more out of their depth other than Mark Neeld .

Armo is a mid/fwd- yep let's play him in def against a fast fwd line.

Patto is a hbf/mid- let's play him fwd.

Gresh is a mid/fwd- gets maybe 10% game time in the position he excelled at as a junior.

Just a small example why our team is so ducked up atm .

Gresh should have been playing 70% game time as a mid this year and this is why none of our younger players have gone to the next level. Stop holding our players back richo and gtfo!!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Said the same thing 3 weeks ago and got howled down. Can see why Swans let him go. Clubs do not let potential A graders go players are let go for deficiencies in their abilities that probably hard to fix. Become gof at other clubs but rarely what you build a team around. Good luck Tim I think you are a great number 3 but no Rooey

Membrey decision making
Bruce hard hands
Stringer attraction to 15 y/o

Having said that GWS must regret trading Devin Smith and to an extent Steele as they are probably exactly what they are missing at the moment tackling pressure and a stopper that gets his own ball.

Make Ross and Steele co captains next year.
Put Geary on the opposition's running half back play as defensive forward where he can tackle and put pressure acts where it counts.

You were shot down because the Swans 'didn't let him go'. They wanted him to stay and offered him a contract. Membrey wanted to leave because he wanted game time and Goodes decided to play on. We couldn't come to a trade, and since we had pick 1 in the preseason draft, the Swans 'delisted' him so he could start training straight away.

You were shot down because the Swans 'didn't let him go'. They wanted him to stay and offered him a contract. Membrey wanted to leave because he wanted game time and Goodes decided to play on. We couldn't come to a trade, and since we had pick 1 in the preseason draft, the Swans 'delisted' him so he could start training straight away.
Skunk also wanted to come back to Vic.

The highlights were Freezer’s Goal and Longy’s Mark.

Liked Freeman in the first half. Not sure why he had reduced minutes, last week he seemed to be on the field for much longer. He may have screwed up two kicks in a row but he showed a lot more intent, and half his limited possessions were contested. He’s an odd one to rank because he’s been in the system so long, but done a similar amount to a new draftee. I think he’s shown enough to warrant another season.

Long brought back some actual pressure in the forward line. Not a complete game but it was good to see him out there doing his thing.

Lonie has been in our best the last 3 weeks. He’s playing for a career and it’s showing, he probably gets another year, or a trade to another team, but most likely not a delisting.

Ross has been outstanding the last two weeks. Can’t believe some people in here are still bagging him, what more do you want him to do in a struggling side?

On the bad side, Rice had a putrid game. Coffield had a quiet one last week, but doubt he would’ve been that bad last night. Geary continues to be trusted with his disposal.

Would have had a contract waiting for Pierce in the quarter time huddle. Comfortably beat Bellchambers until he tired in the last.

Richo’s 2 moves; move the best defender forward (but only when the ball isn’t going into the forward line) and play your new midfielders in the forward pocket.

Good news is we get another look at Goddard/Austin/Joyce.

Game was lost at selection again. Against the team with the fastest forward line, we play Geary, Rice and Armitage in defence (I’d only want one of those blokes in the team next year and he’s only played 5 games)

White is back in VFL today after injury, hopefully can get back into the seniors for a game or 2.

Paton’s goal was fantastic... New kicking coach?

3 goals from Ray today and bring him in for Newnes or Sinclair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Goddard, White, Minchington, Weller, Gilbert and Phillips

Outs: Rice, Long, Lonie, Brown (IF suspended), Carlisle (Rested) & Paton.

If he can play again like he did last night Pierce is ahead of Longer and Hickey, so trade whichever out of Hickey or Longer will get us a second rounder, delist the other, get Lycett as a FA and elevate Pierce. Marshall backs them up.

Ruck sorted.

In: Goddard, White, Minchington, Weller, Gilbert and Phillips

Outs: Rice, Long, Lonie, Brown (IF suspended), Carlisle (Rested) & Paton.

Think we persist with long, paton and rice. Don’t see the point of bringing in minchington, Weller or Gilbert at this point. Need games pumped into the younger blokes, they say after 50 games you’ll get less mistakes and they usually come into their own. The way we are at the moment we need as many games pumped into the younger brigade that will be there over the older blokes.
It’s a shame that you get mistakes with younger blokes but only way they’ll learn is getting more exposure.

The highlights were Freezer’s Goal and Longy’s Mark.

Liked Freeman in the first half. Not sure why he had reduced minutes, last week he seemed to be on the field for much longer. He may have screwed up two kicks in a row but he showed a lot more intent, and half his limited possessions were contested. He’s an odd one to rank because he’s been in the system so long, but done a similar amount to a new draftee. I think he’s shown enough to warrant another season.

Long brought back some actual pressure in the forward line. Not a complete game but it was good to see him out there doing his thing.

Lonie has been in our best the last 3 weeks. He’s playing for a career and it’s showing, he probably gets another year, or a trade to another team, but most likely not a delisting.

Ross has been outstanding the last two weeks. Can’t believe some people in here are still bagging him, what more do you want him to do in a struggling side?

On the bad side, Rice had a putrid game. Coffield had a quiet one last week, but doubt he would’ve been that bad last night. Geary continues to be trusted with his disposal.
Freeza's and Longs mark were good but my boy's goal in the last quarter was the highlight.

ATM I doubt anyone else on our team could make a set shot from there!

Said the same thing 3 weeks ago and got howled down. Can see why Swans let him go. Clubs do not let potential A graders go players are let go for deficiencies in their abilities that probably hard to fix. Become gof at other clubs but rarely what you build a team around. Good luck Tim I think you are a great number 3 but no Rooey

Membrey decision making
Bruce hard hands
Stringer attraction to 15 y/o

Having said that GWS must regret trading Devin Smith and to an extent Steele as they are probably exactly what they are missing at the moment tackling pressure and a stopper that gets his own ball.

Make Ross and Steele co captains next year.
Put Geary on the opposition's running half back play as defensive forward where he can tackle and put pressure acts where it counts.

My boy Jack Steele. He’s at the level now to take the next step which he is doing. Moves well, links well, plays within his limitations, cracks in hard, takes a clutch mark & makes his opponent accountable.

Everything I saw him do in the NEAFL for Giants reserves when racking up 40+ & 10 tackles every week, he is starting to show right now that same form. He’s a beacon in the darkness

Unfortunately the saints are basically the most insignificant team in the league. They show up, kick 8-11 goals 13-15 behinds and do as they should and lose. The same uninspired stuff every week. But not quite bad enough that everyone talks about it.

The best thing of the night was the bullet pass from Geary to Gresh - haven’t seen that all year. And the minutes later, the forward line was set up perfectly for once and a long kick inside 50 (I think from membrey) was put to our blokes advantage (Gresham). Typically Gresh missed both goals so it didn’t even count for anything.

Also is armitage pretty much out there having a laugh? I’m not even criticising him because he does some nice things every now and then but just seems like he’s taking the piss most of the time.

If he was an A grader or Swans thought they could have developed him into one they would have kept him and traded someone else clearly they did not hence the reason we got him.

I like the bloke he can play just not good at decision making which is clear from his actions last night and stopped us potentially kicking a couple of goals.... potentially.

That's why the Swans let him go if he was that good they would have told Goodes to retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2018: Essendon v St.Kilda *Ross' 100th*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back