Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot talk midfields are missing the point.

Midfields are funny things in our sport. You look at the Hawks midfield that we did well against last week. They smashed the ladder leaders yesterday.

Centre bounce work can be a bit flukey. There’s a reason the most recent team to have a dynasty, The tigers, didn’t care much about clearance stuff.

It’s all about having a system that stacks up.

Problem is, outside of defence and manic pressure, we don’t have a good system and can’t execute skills and move the ball effectively under pressure.

Until our players are developed to do that, we are going nowhere, no matter what our list looks like.

I agree to a point but Pep wouldn’t win a title with Burnley’s list. I think Ross is whipping his donkey hard but it’s never going to win a Melbourne cup.

I agree to a point but Pep wouldn’t win a title with Burnley’s list. I think Ross is whipping his donkey hard but it’s never going to win a Melbourne cup.
Should be able to make finals though, 1 win more than last year with a much healthier list. Anything else is a failure

36 disposals says he was at least in the contest unlike our captain.
Mason even said himself that whenever he gets plenty of it it's usually a reflection of how poorly we're playing. He shouldn't be having the ball in his hands 36 times.

Not so simple - The caveat to that is what is the quality of the ball movement going from midfield to the forward?

In the extreme, if you are the greatest forward the game has seen (Plugger), do you want Nicky Winmar or Luke Dunstan delivering it? Quality entry to advantage matters.
It goes both ways. It's not as if every entry we have is completely shit. But even most of our decent/good entires fail because of how we are set up and the overall lack of quality performances.

We have been 18th this year for converting inside 50s to scores. That is more than a midfield problem. It's a forward problem and a coaching problem as well for barely trying anything different 21 rounds into the season.

We have been 18th this year for converting inside 50s to scores. That is more than a midfield problem. It's a forward problem and a coaching problem as well for barely trying anything different 21 rounds into the season.
Hilarious that we have admitted to not changing anything all year in that space lmao. When you've got Harvey and Hayes in the box then I shouldn't really expect any better - great players but very average coaches.

The entire midfield should offer to hand back there pay .

Did we get a crumb or win a ground ball in the last .

Steele should step aside at the end of the year . You can’t churn that quarter out as a leader . How do you not get a touch .

Only ourselves to blame we simply refuse to draft midfielders .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 25 we’re effective whilst Steele had 11 in total and Stocker “the f#%mg sub” had 9.
I wasn’t actually comparing him to Steele. I was responding to a post that said Wood was fantastic. He was not.

Interesting all us arm chair experts got it right - RTB - we were smashed in the midfield in the second half - the mids let us down and couldn’t get it done.

Lose clearance then lose field position, backs tire and eventually crack open.

Coaches rolled Sinclair, Gresham and Windhager through the midfield and they couldn’t get it done.

Coaching is not the problem - they tried pretty much everything - we lack sufficient quality!

Said this before but Clark is brave as hell and has some decent skills BUT u want to play in the midfield against the elite of the competition you need to be super fit and strong / powerful. Clark is neither - needs to work his backside off in the gym and on the track preseason.
Has another mare with the defensive "effort" that resulted in a goal against.

He can't get it done in there consistently and never will.

Still needs a rebuild.
Too many blokes that ultimately cannot get it done.
Correct. It's nothing against them they give the effort but the results ultimately have spoken for themselves for a long time now.

We have a bunch of guys who cannot perform at an elite level for long enough.

We can keep expecting more of them but they're not going to get better. We need to call it for what it is and move on.

Trade the guys who aren't part of the engine who still have currency and have played enough games to know they will never be part of the engine.

We are still paying for past mistakes. Lethlean and Gags ruined the list after being in a similar position before by making stupid calls and not understanding the list. The last couple of years have been better but part fo that was our academy kids landing in our lap. Otherwise we have still only been doing what normal clubs do drafting and trading at an okay standard. We will stay behind them unless we can outperform in draft and trades.
100%

The nepotism under lethers was like nothing else. Brings in his mate who plays glorified super coach then exits when the footy dept gets a head coach who knows a thing or two.

Lethers needs to go. There's no two ways about it. He's been there a long time. Everything he's touched does nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back