Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Been worried about his role in the team all year. Mentally I think he is weak, obviously been given feedback he can’t handle. Jack just can’t be captain anymore, it needs to be Wilkie or Mason
Mason Wood? As captain?

Ahhhh no.

A lot talk midfields are missing the point.

Midfields are funny things in our sport. You look at the Hawks midfield that we did well against last week. They smashed the ladder leaders yesterday.

Centre bounce work can be a bit flukey. There’s a reason the most recent team to have a dynasty, The tigers, didn’t care much about clearance stuff.

It’s all about having a system that stacks up.

Problem is, outside of defence and manic pressure, we don’t have a good system and can’t execute skills and move the ball effectively under pressure.

Until our players are developed to do that, we are going nowhere, no matter what our list looks like.

This one is on the coaches I think:

1. Playing Brad hill in the midfield / in the guts
2. Playing Gresham at half forward
3. No support for Marshall
The lack of second ruck is a head scratcher and the choice of stocker as a sub was a bit questionable but this performance is absolutely on the players

You learn to accept defeat watching the Saints. I'd put that as a mark against a potential player too. Although Rozee and Rory Sloane are alright, maybe we just chase the damaged goods.

Bro.... really?

Come on

There's enough real stuff to deal with without tripped out doom and gloom fantasies.

Just watched the rest of RTB press conference

RTB - We think we are in pretty good shape in front of & behind the ball (US code for like our defence & attack).

So they know our midfield doesn’t cut it (heard him use the term one paced earlier in the season).

So what can the drafting/trading/development teams conjure up - that’s the big question - if we can get it right we are going places - if not we are in a world of pain!

He’s a soon to be 30 year old player who has been outperforming his station for a year and a half at most.

I wouldn’t wanna give him any more to think about. I’m sure he’s a perfectly capable leader (the saints did a media thing about Nas living with him which was awesome) but just hard no. Captains are more than just the spiritual leaders (which he’s not) and he’s got way way too much to focus on outside of being captain.

The fact his name could even be mentioned shows the dearth of leadership we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RTB - We think we are in pretty good shape in front of & behind the ball (US code for like our defence & attack).

So they know our midfield doesn’t cut it (heard him use the term one paced earlier in the season).

So what can the drafting/trading/development teams conjure up - that’s the big question - if we can get it right we are going places - if not we are in a world of pain!
We are as bad in attack as we are in the midfield. We are in trouble if we aren't seriously addressing how dysfunctional our attack and forward structure is.

He’s a soon to be 30 year old player who has been outperforming his station for a year and a half at most.

I wouldn’t wanna give him any more to think about. I’m sure he’s a perfectly capable leader (the saints did a media thing about Nas living with him which was awesome) but just hard no. Captains are more than just the spiritual leaders (which he’s not) and he’s got way way too much to focus on outside of being captain.

The fact his name could even be mentioned shows the dearth of leadership we have.
Agree
And your logic absolutely rules Steele out.

I agree that Wilkie is the choice. Wood defently should be in the leadership group though…and probably will be once Membrey is playing elsewhere.l and Seb is the captain of Sandrigham

No shit. Jones and Gresham go and it will be slower than Hunter Clark getting to the gym. We are low skilled and slow with inadequate depth. They don’t need coaching changes to work that out.

Agree
And your logic absolutely rules Steele out.

I agree that Wilkie is the choice. Wood defently should be in the leadership group though…and probably will be once Membrey is playing elsewhere.l and Seb is the captain of Sandrigham
Yeh I’m all for Wood in the leadership group just not as captain.

And they got Blake Acres too
Take Acres over Hill every day of the week and Serong
Too late,,,that ship has sailed.
We gave him away and plenty of us were not happy about it.

Question: Whats the one thing that gives you time/space and draws opponents in footy?
Answer: MOVEMENT.

Another little observation after watching the first half of the Sandringham game and then the Saints. Is both the VFL & AFL side's consistently handball backwards/sideways to stationary players, who will then handball to another stationary player. All of our players have been programmed to give quick hands, but at some stage a player receiving needs to be in motion otherwise it just refers the pressure.

The entire list needs to have drilled into them to move when they win the ball ! Players don't have to move far to find space, but you aren't going to find it standing flat footed. There are plenty of handballing drills designed to get that perpetual motion and the Saints need to start using them. If you watched Carlton today they always had players running past contests at speed. They can do that because they are winning it in close, but the same rule applies to the midfielders at stoppages - positive movement gives them the best chance of first hands.

We are as bad in attack as we are in the midfield. We are in trouble if we aren't seriously addressing how dysfunctional our attack and forward structure is.
Not so simple - The caveat to that is what is the quality of the ball movement going from midfield to the forward?

In the extreme, if you are the greatest forward the game has seen (Plugger), do you want Nicky Winmar or Luke Dunstan delivering it? Quality entry to advantage matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back