Preview Round 21, 2024: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, Sun 4 August, 1.10pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes.

We can only play who we have in front of us. Next week we'll play carlton without SDK. It might be disappointing but what can be done about it.

Do the omissions opposition teams have had over the past fourteen weeks diminish every victory we've had in that time?

In my mind, no. Not at all.
I'm not saying it diminishes the wins I just think playing sides at their best is better preparation. Still haunted by how slow out of the blocks we were after dominating West Coast.

King highlighting our free kicks from high tackles. He is saying it is a good thing but you can tell he is deliberately highlighting it to try and get through to the umpires to stop paying them

We are likely to get nothing on Sunday

Last edited:
King highlighting our free kicks from high tackles. He is saying it is a good thing but you can tell he is deliberately highlighting it to try and get through umpires to stop paying them

I wouldn't worry about the external noise we focus on ourselves and our opponents

King highlighting our free kicks from high tackles. He is saying it is a good thing but you can tell he is deliberately highlighting it to try and get through umpires to stop paying them

I stand by reasoning that we have more small forwards so we get more free kicks to small forwards.

Dylan Moore has 38 free kicks for (ranked 5th in the league). He is one of only 3 hawks in the top 50 of the league for free kicks for.
Jack Ginnivan has received 19 frees (ranked 67ths in the league)
Nick Watson has received 13 free kicks and is ranked 155th in the league
Nick Breust has received 9 free kicks and is ranked 281st in the leauge

Dylan Moore receives 1.95 free kicks per game (ranked 8th in the league)
Jack Ginnivan is ranked 101st in the league for free kicks for (1.12 per game)
Nick Watson is ranked 113th in the league for free kicks for (1.08 per game)
Luke Breust is ranked 285th in the leaugue for frees per game (0.69 per game)

So Dylan Moore gets a lot.
The others have more than 100 players in the league getting more frees than them.

I stand by reasoning that we have more small forwards so we get more free kicks to small forwards.

Dylan Moore has 38 free kicks for (ranked 5th in the league). He is one of only 3 hawks in the top 50 of the league for free kicks for.

The others have more than 100 players in the league getting more frees than them.
Ginni and wiz ham it up a bit but Moore is just first to the ball and prepared to take it on. That bloke wouldn’t have time to think about playing for a free. All those bandages are warranted.

Ginni and wiz ham it up a bit but Moore is just first to the ball and prepared to take it on. That bloke wouldn’t have time to think about playing for a free. All those bandages are warranted.
I think Breust is the one that legitimiately plays for frees the most, he often twists into a contest in a way that means the opposition player crashes into his head.

But he's super humble.

Let's be real here - this is just Kingy finding a stat to justify the dislike of Ginni and Wiz. He wasn't thinking about Moore when he called this out.

I think Breust is the one that legitimiately plays for frees the most, he often twists into a contest in a way that means the opposition player crashes into his head.

But he's super humble.

Let's be real here - this is just Kingy finding a stat to justify the dislike of Ginni and Wiz. He wasn't thinking about Moore when he called this out.
Really? I don't see it. I feel the opposite. In terms of this year I think Watson has had the most obvious ones, Moore gets the most because he's around the play more often than the other guys. Ginnivan has had his moments but has overall been a lot better than he was at Collingwood.

We're specifically talking high frees in 50 though, not frees in general, and individually Wiz, Ginni, Moore, Breust and Croc hold 5 of the top 6 positions in the comp for them. That's nothing to do with having more smalls.

I don't think that can be coincidence, I think it's attacking the loose ball and staying low and defying the opposition to make a clean tackle. The technique involved has surely been coached.

They all go low but they don't duck. Challenging the tackler to get it right is ok in my opinion.

Ginni only very occasionally does the arm lift now but I reckon thats almost out of his game. The others dont.

Agree that its bruest who is the wily old pro that can milk a free - but through my brown and gold glasses I reckon its more him positioning his body to draw a free - slipping in front of someone to get a nudge in the back, running into someone semi-deliberately to draw a hold or high contact. Again its challenging the opposition not to give one away - play on in my book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all go low but they don't duck. Challenging the tackler to get it right is ok in my opinion.

Ginni only very occasionally does the arm lift now but I reckon thats almost out of his game. The others dont.

Agree that its bruest who is the wily old pro that can milk a free - but through my brown and gold glasses I reckon its more him positioning his body to draw a free - slipping in front of someone to get a nudge in the back, running into someone semi-deliberately to draw a hold or high contact. Again its challenging the opposition not to give one away - play on in my book.
There was one late on with Breust at the weekend in the 4th quarter when he scooped up a loose ball in our F50 and drove really low, he was playing the odds but the Adelaide defender executed a perfect tackle, getting underneath him and it was holding the ball. Breust clearly wasn't taking the option that have him the best chance of dishing it off.

It shows the tackles can be made but on the balance of probabilities I doubt most players could make that tackle cleanly more than not. They're going to have to get better though.

Watson and Ginnivan have done it multiple times this season. Everyone can see it bar Hawks fans.

It's probably cost them both other legitimate frees that weren't paid. Watson should have had at least two against the Crows and one against the Pies.

Watson and Ginnivan have done it multiple times this season. Everyone can see it bar Hawks fans.

It's probably cost them both other legitimate frees that weren't paid. Watson should have had at least two against the Crows and one against the Pies.

I do think they've cut it down since the bye.

Watson's worst ones were vs Richmond where he leaned into two or three. Since then he's pretty much just been hitting the ball at 100% pace.

Ginnivan is playing through the high contact a lot more. His lowering of the body was much more evident earlier in the season.

I'm not saying it diminishes the wins I just think playing sides at their best is better preparation. Still haunted by how slow out of the blocks we were after dominating West Coast.

It’s something we learn from hopefully as if we play finals, we will need to be switched on after the end of season bye.

Saying that the Hawthorn smalls "play for frees" is a lazy conclusion to the stat that our smaller forwards make up 5 of the top 6 spots for high free kicks awarded inside 50.

It ignores the fact that Hawthorn lead the comp for hard ball gets differential. Not just over the period we've been winning. The whole season.

When the ball spills loose our players swarm to win it back. And when dangerous smalls go low to win a ground ball inside forward 50 the chances they'll be taken high by a panicking defender are also high.

I wouldn't expect the umpiring to change. They review decisions from every game and I'm sure there's extra scrutiny over free kicks inside 50. If there was anything dodgy going on, then they'd have already adjusted. And from what I've seen, we're already not getting all the ones we should be anyway.

In: Gunston
Out: Maginness

Sub: Breust

Need to bring out the big guns for the next two weeks, so reckon Gunston is a trump card we need to play to get the job done against Giants and Carlton. What a luxury it is to have someone of his class and experience to call on.

Morrison very unlucky not to get selected but reckon Ward has done enough to warrant he stays

Need to bring out the big guns for the next two weeks, so reckon Gunston is a trump card we need to play to get the job done against Giants and Carlton. What a luxury it is to have someone of his class and experience to call on.

Morrison very unlucky not to get selected but reckon Ward has done enough to warrant he stays

Couldn’t agree more. If we want finals we have to win 3 more games, it’s time for Gunston to return. He can rest against the tigers if he needs.

Nowhere near enough discussion about the actual game of footy this week, strange considering this is our biggest game in 6 years.

I wouldn’t be worried about free kicks. We have 5 small forwards and two hard working talls, that’s why we get them, not some game plan of ducking.

Gunston needs a game ot two before finals, but our strength at the moment is our small forwards and pressure, so don’t reckon he and Dear can play together. Dear has been cramping and looks like he needs a rest. So, this week or next I would rest CD and play JG.

Saying that the Hawthorn smalls "play for frees" is a lazy conclusion to the stat that our smaller forwards make up 5 of the top 6 spots for high free kicks awarded inside 50.

It ignores the fact that Hawthorn lead the comp for hard ball gets differential. Not just over the period we've been winning. The whole season.

When the ball spills loose our players swarm to win it back. And when dangerous smalls go low to win a ground ball inside forward 50 the chances they'll be taken high by a panicking defender are also high.

I wouldn't expect the umpiring to change. They review decisions from every game and I'm sure there's extra scrutiny over free kicks inside 50. If there was anything dodgy going on, then they'd have already adjusted. And from what I've seen, we're already not getting all the ones we should be anyway.
Being at a game you realise the average fan has no clue what’s going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back