Preview Round 21, 2024: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, Sun 4 August, 1.10pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won 4 games in a row with Gunston and Breust in the team prior to the cats game, they provided 11 goals in those games even with Breust the sub in all 4.

Specifically against GWS, Gunston kicked 3 and completely nullified arguably the best fullback in the league, whilst Breust kicked 2 including the winner from the boundary.

A one off bad game doesn’t tell the story.

Gunston in, Breust the sub.

If not, arguments can be made for the other ins.

I would argue we won those games because they didn’t start together. The 1-in 1-sub combo makes sense.

Last edited:

I am just wondering how often a team gets two interstate games in a row? I can’t remember this ever happening to us?

*Except for Gather round.
Straight off the top of my head, in 2017 we played Sydney in Sydney, which we won, then had a six day break and played Port in Adelaide. We celebrated this by kicking 0.3 in the first half.

Straight off the top of my head, in 2017 we played Sydney in Sydney, which we won, then had a six day break and played Port in Adelaide. We celebrated this by kicking 0.3 in the first half.
Imagine how much of a meltdown WC fans would have had if they had to do that.

I would argue we won those games because they didn’t start together. The 1-in 1-sub combo makes sense.

I’d agree with Breust as the sub. Gunston starting lets us give Dear more breaks so he can run the game out.

I don’t want to shoot Bambi, but Dear having huge cramp issues in the third quarter each week is a huge concern. We’re one injury away from being down a rotation every week.

The only way to manage that is to start Gunston so he rests.

I’d agree with Breust as the sub. Gunston starting lets us give Dear more breaks so he can run the game out.

I don’t want to shoot Bambi, but Dear having huge cramp issues in the third quarter each week is a huge concern. We’re one injury away from being down a rotation every week.

It’s not every week that he’s been cramping up, he has just been subbed in some games - a mix of cramp, youth and fitness. But yes, it could be a concern.

What I don’t quite know is what impact playing a man down would have on our game style. Interesting to see that most of our mids are averaging mid 70% game time. Far lower than previous years or other clubs. I wonder whether they have the capacity to take that to 80-85%, or whether that much rest is needed given the intense game style.

It’s not every week that he’s been cramping up, he has just been subbed in some games - a mix of cramp, youth and fitness. But yes, it could be a concern.

What I don’t quite know is what impact playing a man down would have on our game style. Interesting to see that most of our mids are averaging mid 70% game time. Far lower than previous years or other clubs. I wonder whether they have the capacity to take that to 80-85%, or whether that much rest is needed given the intense game style.
Sam is wanting the intensity flat out style, when everyone is out there it’s what’s expected plus a team work ethic. More breaks to maintain the rage. It’s working !

Is it an unpopular opinion to say that I don't like them missing key guys? I know we need to win but I also want us to beat teams at their best, it's much better preparation.
Pretty much every team is missing key players at this point in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Dear contributed in the 2nd half against the Crows. I remember he was involved in a few scores and kicked at least a goal.

Jasper Scaife

I am just wondering how often a team gets two interstate games in a row? I can’t remember this ever happening to us?

*Except for Gather round.

We do it quite often given we play home games in Tassie.

Imagine how much of a meltdown WC fans would have had if they had to do that.

They did it last year and I don’t recall any riots occurring out west.

Wingard couldn't get through a block of VFL games without a soft tissue injury.

It's absolutely nothing personal against the man, but his AFL career is over. I had that gut feel when he was helped off the ground against the Bulldogs last season following the Achilles injury.

If he doesn't get a lifeline somewhere else then I hope he sticks around in some capacity, because he's clearly a popular guy amongst the playing group.

If a small forward gets injured I'd suspect we'd look to push Hardwick up the ground and bring Serong or Seamus in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back