Game Day Round 21: Geelong vs Port Adelaide, - Saturday 5 August 7:25pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is kind of wild
It's very easy to only have a lens on your own clubs recent results I guess.

Is getting thumped by Carlton and Adelaide and losing a close one to the Pies better than losing a close one to Freo at home, a close loss away to Brisbane and a thumping dished out to Essendon? Probably not. But we can't get over the horror of last week so we expect Port will bounce back.

Might be a bridge too far with the loss of Blics and Hawk. Still a few of us live in hope to make the eight, and to me that sounds less catastrophic a fall from grace than ninth. Okay might not go any further but hopefully if we make it, get some finals experience into some young ones. Plus money. So plenty of motivation, go hard.
Really hope our coaches have done their homework with a decent midfield plan in place that involves more than Sav.
Geelong have only ever lost 2 home games in a row once before under Scott, and odds are narrowed with Port outs.

For those going to the ground, temperature btw 7pm-930 pm = 11 down to 9.7 degrees

7utaqi.jpg

One of the frequent times where I am hoping this blows up in my face and Esava is MOTM with a defensive masterclass.

Might be a bridge too far with the loss of Blics and Hawk. Still a few of us live in hope to make the eight, and to me that sounds less catastrophic a fall from grace than ninth. Okay might not go any further but hopefully if we make it, get some finals experience into some young ones. Plus money. So plenty of motivation, go hard.
Really hope our coaches have done their homework with a decent midfield plan in place that involves more than Sav.
Geelong have only ever lost 2 home games in a row once before under Scott, and odds are narrowed with Port outs.

For those going to the ground, temperature btw 7pm-930 pm = 11 down to 9.7 degrees
If we win today we would be 5-3 against top 8 teams (position based on when we played them - except for Collingwood round 1 who I've included). Admittedly Adelaide and Essendon have since fallen out for GWS and Carlton but the point stands, we have been reasonable when facing a side in the 8 and terrible when facing a side a few spots outside of it. So we'd be a solid chance in an EF.

7utaqi.jpg

One of the frequent times where I am hoping this blows up in my face and Esava is MOTM with a defensive masterclass.

For all the frustration with selections from Thursday night, I don't think there's a single Geelong fan that would actually be upset to see Ratugolea or O'Connor pull our a best on ground performances, or named amongst our best

If we win today we would be 5-3 against top 8 teams (position based on when we played them - except for Collingwood round 1 who I've included). Admittedly Adelaide and Essendon have since fallen out for GWS and Carlton but the point stands, we have been reasonable when facing a side in the 8 and terrible when facing a side a few spots outside of it. So we'd be a solid chance in an EF.

Yes i think that's been the horse Scott has ridden, get in and we'll give them a shake. It's probably true that no one will be comfortable playing us, and even injury ridden/hungover several losses were close. It's been awhile since we haven't been assured of finals at this stage, and dependent on the failure of others. Definately question marks over them i.e. STK, Carlton

As an aside, I've got to stop tipping against the teams we need to lose. Tumbling from first to third with heart over head picks!

I'm still trying to fathom why Neale and Knevitt didn't come in for Blic and Hawk. Even if we win the game it's questionable.
We already have 3x 21 and unders in the side, the same number as Port. I'm guessing they didn't want to tip that to 5. Of all the games where we have been stacked with youngsters, only one time have we played well (vs Bulldogs). There is a tipping point. And yes I know we were poor last week. But we were good with experienced sides at GMHBA in the 3 games before that.

We already have 3x 21 and unders in the side, the same number as Port. I'm guessing they didn't want to tip that to 5. Of all the games where we have been stacked with youngsters, only one time have we played well (vs Bulldogs). There is a tipping point. And yes I know we were poor last week. But we were good with experienced sides at GMHBA in the 3 games before that.

You make too much sense to be posting here this week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but who cares about ages when it's the youngsters leading the way at VFL level

How about selecting players on form, rather than on age, especially when it's the veterans who've been the most disappointing over recent times...

And let's just expand on the 3 players in question for some perspective:
  • Bruhn who turned 21 back in May & has played 46 games
  • O. Henry who turned 21 last month and has 43 games until his very
  • Holmes, the youngest of the lot who doesn't turn 21 until later this month but has already played 47 games

Those are 3 young players locked in our 22

It's not like 21 & under players are all inexperienced 18 year olds with 2 or 3 games each

Again, no reason we couldn't have selected at least 2 of Neale, Knevitt & Dempsey

For all the frustration with selections from Thursday night, I don't think there's a single Geelong fan that would actually be upset to see Ratugolea or O'Connor pull our a best on ground performances, or named amongst our best

In theory maybe.

In reality Esava has been named in our best more times than quite a few players this year and it hasn’t done much to appease most on here.

In theory maybe.

In reality Esava has been named in our best more times than quite a few players this year and it hasn’t done much to appease most on here.

Not much different for O'Connor.

He was one of the few who clearly improved in the first half of this year. 2 weeks ago he destroyed Merrett. Now people are wanting him dropped because Neale hurt us (let's ignore that O'Connor wasn't on him) and a game where he was managed as sub.

5 players 21 or under is by no means excessive in my humble, especially on our home track.

I will however bow to superior wisdom so long as, should we lose, we see more youth next week.
I would've been fine with either situation, but I can see why they went the way they did. I think if we weren't losing two such experienced and crucial players we may have seen Knevitt it Dempsey in for someone managed.

Rohan, Cameron and O.Henry in itself is still a solid set of targets up forward. So again, I can understand them playing Rohan or Jezza out of the square instead of Neale.

I would've been fine with either situation, but I can see why they went the way they did. I think if we weren't losing two such experienced and crucial players we may have seen Knevitt it Dempsey in for someone managed.

Rohan, Cameron and O.Henry in itself is still a solid set of targets up forward. So again, I can understand them playing Rohan or Jezza out of the square instead of Neale.

At least with our home games, we already play Rohan out of the square with both Hawkins & Cameron further up the ground

At least with our home games, we already play Rohan out of the square with both Hawkins & Cameron further up the ground
Beautiful. Our three leading targets, with J.Henry as a potential swingman, means we have some solidly experienced and versatile options.

O.Henry deep can be a Langford style player if he gets more responsibility.

Beautiful. Our three leading targets, with J.Henry as a potential swingman, means we have some solidly experienced and versatile options.

O.Henry deep can be a Langford style player if he gets more responsibility.
Or we could give Neale a run which would also provide a marking target along the wing - something we've been calling out for over recent times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back