Review Round 22, 2015 - Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was probably because a lot of our players weren't rushing back like they should have. I know a few culprits who didn't run hard enough defensively.
(Actually it was 4 on 1, not 3 on 1)
Very true, and I understand some lack of um, enthusiasm, at this point in the season, but I'm more concerned it is structural/organisational than effort or fitness.
Okay, 1 on 4 is unusual, but we are very often caught with 1 on 2 in our endeavours to push forward. When we are one of the worst for turnovers, the big losses will keep coming because we can't defend.

(Actually it was 4 on 1, not 3 on 1)
Very true, and I understand some lack of um, enthusiasm, at this point in the season, but I'm more concerned it is structural/organisational than effort or fitness.
Okay, 1 on 4 is unusual, but we are very often caught with 1 on 2 in our endeavours to push forward. When we are one of the worst for turnovers, the big losses will keep coming because we can't defend.

I think these easy goals will disappear from our game when we tidy up our ball movement. The reason why we get out numbered, besides being out worked, is we pick a poor option or stuff an easy pass leading to a turn over. This completely exposes us and teams have been killing us with this all year.

This doesnt worry me because im confident as the team improves, this will decrease. We do play a possession type style of footy, and when we give it to the other team cheaply, you will get found out. TBH the coast to coast goals where we dont touch a man or a ball (usually from a behind kick in) is what annoys me more. We should be in position for that.

Of all the youngsters playing today Mcstay is the worry - good build good size but 1 kick all day - not so good.
I still think Billy Evans is a lot like Dan Bradshaw from the back at the same age - he will fill out like Dan did I hope

He was playing a defensive forward role and kept his opponents accountable with 2 goals. It is not exactly a position/role in which you are required to rack up possessions.
1 goal was from a very soft free kick and another kicked off the ground.

I know he is a favourite of yours LS but today wasn't exactly a "Why aren't you giving me a contract" type of game, which I was hoping he would have and still does next week, since I believe it's wrong to cut him anyway.

Cutler is one I am very happy to get games into. He really looks like he has a lot of improvement to come. So too Dawson and Evans. All three seem a good height and will benefit from a few months in the gym. Add in Andrews and those four alone are going to come back stronger players next year.

BTW, you lose points for listing Daniel Zorko in the poll list.:rolleyes:

Inb4 changing;
View attachment 167650
I have no idea what you're talking about with that fraudulent picture. And if you say otherwise your post might magically disappear too... errr... not that anything else has magically disappeared.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think these easy goals will disappear from our game when we tidy up our ball movement. The reason why we get out numbered, besides being out worked, is we pick a poor option or stuff an easy pass leading to a turn over. This completely exposes us and teams have been killing us with this all year.

This doesnt worry me because im confident as the team improves, this will decrease. We do play a possession type style of footy, and when we give it to the other team cheaply, you will get found out. TBH the coast to coast goals where we dont touch a man or a ball (usually from a behind kick in) is what annoys me more. We should be in position for that.
I agree things will improve, re. turnovers, but all teams turn the ball over occasionally. Rarely are teams caught with forward options outnumbering defenders so much. Defenders can be caught off guard, and they can be outsmarted but the frequency with which we allow so many loose numbers bothers me.
Anyway, the point is, although turnovers will decrease, in the interim we continue to cough it up and have no answer when we do. In the period of when we are competitive without dominating, it could be the direct cause of losses in games we could otherwise win.

Of all the youngsters playing today Mcstay is the worry - good build good size but 1 kick all day - not so good.
I still think Billy Evans is a lot like Dan Bradshaw from the back at the same age - he will fill out like Dan did I hope

I don't see how Mcstay can be seen as a worry from today's game tbh, the kids has shown glimpses at either end which is all you can expect at the moment from a young bloke in a struggling team in his second year. Personally I'd put guys like Clarke and paparone higher up on the list of worries however the same can be said for them as they will become better with experience

Billy evans had suprised me with some of his inside work. Got a few good handballs out of congestion including that one on the wing as he was getting tackled he held long enough to get the ball out to christo(i think) on the wing. Has alot of work to do but the raw signs are there. A big boy to so should fill out nicely.

Where is the love for Zorks? I know Rocky was at his brilliant best today leading from the front but Zorko was nearly our best player for me. He was the only player who hurt Hawks with his pace and good decision making. He actually took them on. Hanley who is normally our best at this seems to only be playing at 75-80% and maybe thats the reason for him playing half forward.

Been a long year for our kids and it's starting to show. Paparone was awful today. He really needs a big summer in the gym. The wind could knock him over. Mayes also got knocked off the ball far to easy today. Also think Mayes needs to get fitter. Seems to struggle to run out a game. McStay non existent today. But we all know he has talent just has to work a lot harder.

Thought Leppa should have stacked the back line in second qtr. We all knew what was coming. I don't care if it looks ugly. Other teams would have done it. Stick 2-3 extra defenders down there and try to restrict them to 4-5 goals for the qtr.

Special mentions to Stef Martin for another super game and Mitch Robinson who had been enormous for our club this year. Mcguane gets another year for me as well.

Where is the love for Zorks? I know Rocky was at his brilliant best today leading from the front but Zorko was nearly our best player for me. He was the only player who hurt Hawks with his pace and good decision making. He actually took them on. Hanley who is normally our best at this seems to only be playing at 75-80% and maybe thats the reason for him playing half forward.

Been a long year for our kids and it's starting to show. Paparone was awful today. He really needs a big summer in the gym. The wind could knock him over. Mayes also got knocked off the ball far to easy today. Also think Mayes needs to get fitter. Seems to struggle to run out a game. McStay non existent today. But we all know he has talent just has to work a lot harder.

Thought Leppa should have stacked the back line in second qtr. We all knew what was coming. I don't care if it looks ugly. Other teams would have done it. Stick 2-3 extra defenders down there and try to restrict them to 4-5 goals for the qtr.

Special mentions to Stef Martin for another super game and Mitch Robinson who had been enormous for our club this year. Mcguane gets another year for me as well.

I thought Zorko was great and got in my votes but he went missing a bit today.

If I got offered a final margin of 72 at the start of the day, I would have taken it.

This time next week the season will be over and I can't wait.

Perhaps we could get a really good free agent with the cap space to get them, oh wait we aren't Hawthorn and can get them for half the price.

Equalisation working a treat, give Hawthorn more of a leg up then the living away from home allowance ever did.

We didnt kick the lowest score for the round!
dwight-schrute-celebration-jump.gif

I admire Justin Clarke's effort, but I just feel like his decision making is still quite poor. Maybe just the pressure of the hawks.
Maybe with more fit players he would have a spell in the seconds?

Yeah i'm not sold on Clarke. Think he would be a decent 3rd defender but he struggles with the best forwards. Also looks panicked when he has the ball. He has to hold the defence together for most of the year so don't want to be to hard on him. But he is another player on my list that needs a huge summer in the gym.

One of the many issues we need to look at for next season in getting players who use the ball better in defence. Merrett - Clarke - Paparone can all panic and turnover the ball. Would like to see Harwood and Rich down back permanently next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2015 - Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions

Back