Review Round 22, 2015 - Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Knee jerk reaction to Clarke's disposal? If his ball use was that big of an issue, we'd be having this discussion every week. Kid will be fine.
I think it's always been an issue (like a few of our players), but we've had so many other issues at the same time that it probably doesn't get brought up as much as it could (if you can decipher that into English you're doing well)

I think it's always been an issue (like a few of our players), but we've had so many other issues at the same time that it probably doesn't get brought up as much as it could (if you can decipher that into English you're doing well)

Funnily enough though, I reckon if we didn't have so many issues, his disposal wouldn't be getting questioned in the first place (If that makes sense). Plenty of times when we were up and about I can remember Justin show quite a bit of dash off half-back.

As I said though, there's definitely room for improvement, but it won't be his undoing as a footballer.

I hate to sound like one of those pensioners at the Gabba screaming, "Just kick it!" but yesterday at times it really seemed like we tried to handball it too much. We don't have the skills to play this type of game to a high standard and too many times we handballed it to someone who was immediately under pressure. Which goes back to what people are saying above about ball use out of the backline. We need some good ball users down there.

I liked seeing Freeman rucking yesterday. As much as we need him to develop into a big target forward if he can give Stef a chop out in the ruck it'll be a big boost to our team balance.

Can't agree with you on Clarke. He was recruited as a skinny 18 year project player who'd only played country footy and has made a lot of progress since then. I think it would be a bit premature to assume that he doesn't the potential to continue to improve.

I didn't say that Clarke can't or won't improve, if I thought that I'd be looking for him to be delisted.

At the moment I'm simply concerned that Clarke won't get to a level where he regularly takes good options by hand and foot, minimising the possibility of scores from turnovers. As we all know, turning the ball over in the defensive 50 is deadly against even average sides.

If you feel like a laugh check the Hawk fans review of the game yesterday. Apparently Rockliff did nothing and they barely noticed any of his 45 touches. No mention of him also kicking a goal and applying 14 tackles. I would have 45 touches for the bottom side against the premiers in a big loss was a massive effort. Not to mention the tackles and goal. But if that wasn't enough i saw a few people say McEvoy had a good game :) I must have watched another game - all i saw was Martin kill him in the hit outs and kill him around the ground and the stats back that up.

I am guessing these same Hawks posters wont be heard of when the Hawks start rolling down the ladder.

Rocky doesn't get any love on big footy except the fantasy lads, if he gets 40 touches he's overrated and ineffective

Even tho Rocky had 45 disp, didn't really notice him that much. That could be due to the fact that he is an in and under type of player but most of his possesions were uncontested and most were handpasses. Not as damaging as one should be if they had 45 possessions, imo.

Or it could be that he looks like every other player, maybe if he was bald l would notice him more...

Even tho Rocky had 45 disp, didn't really notice him that much. That could be due to the fact that he is an in and under type of player but most of his possesions were uncontested and most were handpasses. Not as damaging as one should be if they had 45 possessions, imo.

Or it could be that he looks like every other player, maybe if he was bald l would notice him more...

19 contested is a massive number

I used to think the same of Simon Black. Because he doesn't run & carry so much, and yes he has a huge hand to foot ratio, the impact can be easily missed when watching just general play unfold. If you go back and watch what he did, your view will change.;)

Rocky makes other players look good. He handballs to advantage, forcing the recipient to go, and it is usually into a gap. The man reads play at an elite level. With all the flak he has copped lately there is not another player in the game I would prefer as our skipper. To have those figures in a wooden spooner vs the reigning premier on the way to another is about someone that busts his guts to get to so many contests, someone that bleeds for his club, more than anything.

I used to think the same of Simon Black. Because he doesn't run & carry so much, and yes he has a huge hand to foot ratio, the impact can be easily missed when watching just general play unfold. If you go back and watch what he did, your view will change.;)
Agreed, l used to watch Black and never really notice him either. I reckon if you slowed the play down and focus on him a lot more than others, one would probably appreciate what Rocky does and how he sets up play.

Still think Nathan Jones from Melbourne and Rocky are pretty similar players except people from BF thinks Jones is more damaging because they notice him more and l reckon that is because he is bald so you tend to focus on him.

I think Clarke's disposal has been gradually improving over the year but I am a bit surprised with 85% de though. His process for hand balling is very slow, but his kicking is improving. He was terrible yesterday coming back after a couple weeks for a broken jaw, but I still believe he has considerable up side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tend to agree on both sides of this discussion. Definitely think the pace of our switches is painfully slow even when their isn't much pressure. But I do agree that clarke has improved his run and carry this year - in the past he just didn't do it all, this year starting to get moving.

My concern with the defense is the number of bags we've conceded this year. And I know it's not a big bag but letting Frawley kick a few yesterday is consistent wih those bags of 5/6/7 for dixon, Waite, Daniher, tex walker, josh walker, lynch and other bags every week through the year. We've largely had our first hcoice defence available and yes they've been under enormous pressure all season but to have had a bag kicked on our 'really promising young defenders' every week hasnt inspired confidence in me they are as much a 10 year lock as we all hope.

I've watched a few games of footy this weekend which is unusual as I generally only watch Brisbane and a few GC games. The difference between Brisbane and other teams is great, Ball movement, individual skills & execution, lack of finesse and poor disposal efficiency is poor in comparison to other teams, we almost always find a way to muck things up while other teams don't. Finding a KPF is only a small part of the problem, until we tidy up out general play who ever is at Full Forward is not going to matter.

426431-darryl-white.jpg

I've watched a few games of footy this weekend which is unusual as I generally only watch Brisbane and a few GC games. The difference between Brisbane and other teams is great, Ball movement, individual skills & execution, lack of finesse and poor disposal efficiency is poor in comparison to other teams, we almost always find a way to muck things up while other teams don't. Finding a KPF is only a small part of the problem, until we tidy up out general play who ever is at Full Forward is not going to matter.
I agree with you in regards to the fact that a key forward is not going to solve all of our problems and we have many issues to work through, however, I think everyone on here knows that. The point some are making is the importance of having a key forward for midfielders to kick to. It provides structure to a team. Things like ball movement and skills/execution are issues that you have highlighted and you have also stated that these issues will not be rectified simply with the addition of a key forward and that is true to an extent, however, I think you might underestimate the fact that a key forward helps with those things.

Our ball movement will look more purposeful when we have a key forward ahead of play to kick to. Instead of moving forward only to backtrack because there is no one to kick it to(Lewy Taylor has done this a lot this season), instances such as these will occur less and less with a consistent and reliable key forward ahead of play. We will also be able to execute our skills better due to the fact that the players can move the ball with direction towards our forward line and kick towards a target as opposed to having no target and having to double back and add a few more handballs in which increases the margin for error and usually results in a turnover with players hand balling to tea mates under pressure with no other option due to the fact that they are under extreme press themselves and are about to turn the ball over.

I'm hoping Clarke gets a bit better as his confidence grows. At the start of the year he was a pure spoiler, however I've been pretty happy with his marking this year. It's not perfect but he's certainly gone for the mark must more than in the past. I'm hoping his offensive play can make the same step and improve

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2015 - Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions

Back