Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

But we are in the now are we not.
He managed a few quality games but his last month has been poor.
If any mid deserved to be dropped for a 'poor' month, it would be Crouch. Until tonight, he has been our worst and least productive mid for weeks. Dunstan's performances have been better than his recently.

Makes the constant calls that Dunstan needing to be the one dropped seem a lot less about players performance and all about it just dropping Dunstan because he is a whipping boy.

But we are in the now are we not.
He managed a few quality games but his last month has been poor.
His last month hasn't been poor. His last few games have been average but still better than any that Bytel has managed.

He is a whipping boy, I get it, but the idea that Bytel would be better right now is ludicrous.

Bytel hasn’t had a proper chance. One game here or there is not enough. Persevere with him for a full match for a few weeks in a row. He’s been sub too many times too. It’s just not enough. We’re gonna lose him if we don’t start actually playing him.

Marshall is effective around the ground, and plays like a massive bodied midfielder...but absolutely agree with you about his ruck craft. He's good for a chop out and not much else. That's not being harsh either...just the truth.
Unfortunately didn't do much today around the ground

Bytel hasn’t had a proper chance. One game here or there is not enough. Persevere with him for a full match for a few weeks in a row. He’s been sub too many times too. It’s just not enough. We’re gonna lose him if we don’t start actually playing him.
about what is best for the future as well, games into him this year is a huge benefit for next year

We did. He played full games in 7 of our first 10 matches and got over 20 disposals once. Most games he would have a good half then fade away completely in the 2nd half.

The midfield was getting hammered and we had a guy in the VFL averaging about 35 disposals and 2 goals a game.

It shouldn't be surprising why one lost their spot and the other has stayed in the senior side.

We're a couple of A grade midfielders short. We've known this for years but haven't been able to do anything about it. That's why hannebry, crouch, Jones et al have been brought in. Problem is they're just not quite good enough to really take it up to the big boys.

We're dying for Clark, Gresham or someone else to compliment Steele in there but this year wasn't the year.

Ruck is strong. The backline is good, and the forward line can be dangerous if we kick straight.

It's just the midfield.

There's always next year, right?

Every year...there's always next year.
Every year us long suffering supporters lament the midfield...and every year we wait...I ain't gettin' any younger hey!?

His last month hasn't been poor. His last few games have been average but still better than any that Bytel has managed.

He is a whipping boy, I get it, but the idea that Bytel would be better right now is ludicrous.
I disagree though. In my opinion Dunstan hurts us in ways the stats sheet doesn't always show. Has zero spread which just doesn't hold up in the modern game with the speed the game moves. Bytel i admit isn't quick either but is cleaner and smarter with ball in hand with good defensive qualities too.

Port Adelaide are a good example of backing in the kids to play with some freedom and its paying off for them big time.

Yep. A few other players get armchair rides despite form. It's like the club has done everything they can not to let Bytel have a chance to shine.

Nick Riewoldt needs to get off the f***ing couch and teach our forwards how to lead, he used to bark instructions to our forwards when he played.

Put your money where your mouth is Nick, get down to Moorabbin and help us out.

Yep, him and "I love this club" Joey. I think Dal being around a bit more looks good though. Has a good head on his shoulders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how 'tanking' is about 1 draft pick. I think the (hopefully easier) draw is probably as important to us next year if we fall a spot or two down the ladder if we lose next week. Funny how things change over time...

Unfortunately didn't do much today around the ground

Has to be Injured doesn't he? He doesn't look right, and isn't playing to his standard. I think he'll be rested along with King next week...chuck big Punter in. See if McKernan is up for it. It's not like we're playing for anything. Might as well give the hacks a run.

If any mid deserved to be dropped for a 'poor' month, it would be Crouch. Until tonight, he has been our worst and least productive mid for weeks. Dunstan's performances have been better than his recently.

Makes the constant calls that Dunstan needing to be the one dropped seem a lot less about players performance and all about it just dropping Dunstan because he is a whipping boy.
Jones been terrible as well. When he plays well he is fantastic tho. Just doesn't happen on a consistent basis

Yep. A few other players get armchair rides despite form. It's like the club has done everything they can not to let Bytel have a chance to shine.
And have done the same with Battle
Bytel and Battle handled poorly this year
Let’s keep Dunstan and get rid of Battle lol ffs

Has to be Injured doesn't he? He doesn't look right, and isn't playing to his standard. I think he'll be rested along with King next week...chuck big Punter in. See if McKernan is up for it. It's not like we're playing for anything. Might as well give the hacks a run.
Yeah could be carrying something still. Was very good last week tho.

If his carrying something no need to risk it in the last game, but seeing Punter or Smack back in the team will give me nightmares

Jones been terrible as well. When he plays well he is fantastic tho. Just doesn't happen on a consistent basis
Jones was good last week - pretty much everyone was - but agree tonight wasn't his best game.

When he is 'on', he is a real game changer for our midfield and if he could get to that level most weeks next year, it would make our midfield much more dangerous.

Yeah could be carrying something still. Was very good last week tho.

If his carrying something no need to risk it in the last game, but seeing Punter or Smack back in the team will give me nightmares

Yeah...but if we're going to scrape the barrel we may as well go all in.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Punter is kept on (shudder)

And have done the same with Battle
Bytel and Battle handled poorly this year
Let’s keep Dunstan and get rid of Battle lol ffs
Battle is contracted we aren't getting rid of him. Dunstan is out of contract and will most likely leave unless we keep him for nothing.

Having said that Dunstan has been miles better than Battle this year. Battle had a shocking year before getting injured, needs to improve next year. Dunstan was probably in our best two players in about 5 games and could poll around 10 Brownlow votes, Battle was probably in our worst two players about five times.

Pretty amazing that up to this point, even after being battered with niggles and going through issues with form and confidence, Max King is

• = 3rd in the league for contested marks
  • = 5th in the league for marks inside 50
  • = 15th in the league for goals
in his second year....
He's gonna be monstering defences for years and years

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back