Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Riewoldt needs to get off the f***ing couch and teach our forwards how to lead, he used to bark instructions to our forwards when he played.

Put your money where your mouth is Nick, get down to Moorabbin and help us out.
Did you watch the first quarter? The leading is fine, improving week on week. The mids were pummelled, as per.
And nobody just walks into a club and takes lessons lol, you kinda have to work there to do so.

Nick Riewoldt needs to get off the f***ing couch and teach our forwards how to lead, he used to bark instructions to our forwards when he played.

Put your money where your mouth is Nick, get down to Moorabbin and help us out.
Forwards would like some good Mids to lead to

Did you watch the first quarter? The leading is fine, improving week on week. The mids were pummelled, as per.
And nobody just walks into a club and takes lessons lol, you kinda have to work there to do so.

King and Sharman were leading fine in the first qtr but our forwards have been too stationary for most of this year and they dropped off after qtr time.

Riewoldt could teach our forwards about repeat leading, Riewoldt didn't just lead once, he would lead 2 or 3 times and run defenders off their feet.

It's incredible when you look at the stats that we were as close as we were, mostly it was thanks to our forwards in the first quarter particularly King and the defence did an almighty job from then on. King's injury appeared to be the turning point of the game, disappointing but also very exciting, he looks like he could be the best forward in the competition as soon as next season.

I was impressed with Sharman. He isn't necessarily a good AFL player yet, but he is showing so many signs and if he can go away and work his arse off over this pre-season I think we could have a SERIOUS player on our hands. He's exactly what we need too which is convenient, a forward that works hard and knows where to go and is clinical. Reminds me a bit of Mihocek.

As usual we looked dangerous when we moved the ball quickly but struggled to get the ball off the Cats for long periods. No shame in that, I think they're probably the best coached and best team in the comp, and will win the flag. I was really surprised by Stanley's dominance over Marshall, Rohan will be gutted by that performance I'm guessing, bizarre to see him killed in hit outs by so much and he just couldn't get into the game in any way. A disappointing season for Rohan in general, with injury, covid etc. He'll be back better next year.

Weirdly, I'm kind of glad we're not going to make the finals. I'm hoping that it gives us the kick up the arse we need for next year, so many players should be better and more consistent than they're playing. I think we have the players to be a top four team if we can improve as we should. A guy like Zak Jones, go and look at what you need to be to help this team. Ditto Crouch. We need consistent mids. We also need Clark to get out there more and get in the guts. We need guys that can help Steele because he can't dominate every game. We saw that in the second half today.

I look at our side now and I'm thinking midfield. That's where we need to look. The forward line is getting there, with Max improving, Higgins will be better next year, Sharman looking the goods. There are many form issues there, not sure what is going on with Butler. But it will get there. The defence is great. But the midfield. It is unreliable and completely reliant on Steele. It needs to get better. If we start dominating in that area we will be scary to play against.

These are my criticisms of today:
- Byrnes has clearly been down on form, Bytel should have played ahead of him, he was absolutely hopeless today, Bytel did more in 10 mins than Byrnes in the whole game last week, poor selection.
- Membrey needs to lose the brain fades. That dropped mark, absolutely bizarre.
- Doogs, mark it.
- Hill, stop with the bullshit 8m shithouse chisel kicks.
- No 50m penalty when they kicked it into about 100m into the forward line after Steele dumped. I guess he didn't hear the whistle? Oh except there's no crowd.

Also Hawkins should go for that tackle, absolutely reckless, jeez he's a dangerous player and is so reckless with his body.

And some other positives:
- Sinclair enormous
- Goal kicking
- Highmore wasn't playing and we still nearly won
- Great forward pressure in the first quarter

Been rebuilding since 2013 and we are still struggling vs Geelong. Awesome!
Top of the ladder Geelong?
Lost by 2 goals with half the team out or underdone, cheer up. Not a good year by anyone’s standards, but there’s hope there and anyone deriding the team in the entirety is being disingenuous or is simply ignorant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing Kent will line up for his last game next week before flying to the US to play with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFL 🏈

icmjRAQ.gif

Bytel is becoming like Tom Curren/Tom Ledger...

It shouldn’t be that hard to force his way in, if he’s good enough.
Rubbish, he is nothing like either of them.

The crap thrown toward Bytel to protect Dunstan is amazing.
I sometimes think people are comfortable not being quite good enough.

Agree. Sharman knows how to lead and King is learning.
what this season has shown us - yet again - is the need to be drafting/acquiring very good, line-breaking mids, mids and more mids.

Oh, and a ruck and KPD would be nice on our Xmas wish list too.

Last edited:
Hill and Billing can call themselves Hilly Vanilli. Get a lip sync act going.. Honestly we lost it when Hanners was on the field but didn't actually play, Hill flopped, Byrnes had a drop off, DMac didn't get many touches, the midfielders couldn't get a touch and we had no system to move the ball out of defence.....and were still in the match until the last 5 minutes against a top 2 side. it was frustrating but also frustratingly close.
To me that tells a story about the Cats. Better teams will get over them in the finals again. Stanley won't cut it against the likes of Gawn. Stewart will be a huge loss if he's done for the season.

Can't wait to see the likes of Selwood, Hawkins and Danger trudge off after another Prelim loss.

Saints gave it their best shot. Can't question our effort. We just lack polish at crucial times as we have in many of our losses this year, most notably late in the game against Port.

Personally, I don't care whether Dunstan and Ross stay or go but count me in the keep Billings camp.

Baffles me the defence of him here got no idea what game they are watching.

Would take a 15 touch Bytel game over a 25 touch Dunstan game every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Easy to say now but when he first came in this year Dunstan was brilliant for us and played on a level way above Bytel.

I thought he was a bit underused a few weeks back. Now that there's only a game to go, I kind of hope he's left out again, and that he approaches the preseason angry, hungry with a point to prove. Really want to hear his name in the...what's it called? March Flyers or something like that?
They seem hellbent on playing the current midfield, no point now in bringing him in, we had the chance a few weeks back to give him a good run at it.

Will look forward to Dunstans final game for us next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back