Autopsy Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

You can’t be serious with that question…
We’re melting because of the importance of the game and because we could have won it.
it’s quite understandable people are disappointed and frustrated.
I don’t see the point in melting about max king. He is what he is. Likely our best player on the team. He’s not going to be dropped he’s likely going to kick bags of both behinds and goals in his career. Hopefully the bags of goals in big games.

I said this about Kings kicking 6 months ago now its all coming out I was shot down by people saying there was nothing wrong with him hahahah

Yeah but he didn't so let's send him to the VFL where he might learn to.
You have all excuses in the world club off for being mediocre for the last 10 season but want to drop a 22 year old with the most shots in the league for the season. A set shot is a set shot, may as well address the issue at AFL level. Who is going to replace him?

So reading through the forum it seems that our major task for this trade & draft period is to find 2 key forwards.

One to help Max and one to replace Max. Of course the one that’s coming in to help Max will now instead be used to help the one that will be replacing Max.

After all that’s been taken care of we can turn our attention to ‘mids, mids, mids, mids, mids and more mids’ and a tall key defender without a penisy name.

And then there’s the little task of replacing all the coaches, but one thing at a time me thinks

So reading through the forum it seems that our major task for this trade & draft period is to find 2 key forwards.

One to help Max and one to replace Max. Of course the one that’s coming in to help Max will now instead be used to help the one that will be replacing Max.

After all that’s been taken care of we can turn our attention to ‘mids, mids, mids, mids, mids and more mids’ and a tall key defender without a penisy name.

And then there’s the little task of replacing all the coaches, but one thing at a time me thinks

Mids are needed, been saying it for years now. Mids and maybe another KPD to help Dougal etc.

I have confidence in Max King, hope the club is around him with the amount of guff out there about him.

My young bloke (15) is lucky enough to be in Melb for a footy trip - Saints/Brisbane, Melbourne / Carlton and Hawthorn / Richmond. He was texting me during the game saying he loves Maxy but.... Part of me feels guilty getting both my kids to be Saints supporters but it sure is building resilience!

As others have said our delivery into the forward line, conversion and lack of ability to keep it in there hursts us. It can be changed but do we have the tools off the field to do so, reckon we need some belief along with some improvement in tactics.

Oh for some improvement over the next couple of years. If we can pick up Ownes, Windhager who I reckon are guns with low picks we just need improvement from Bytel, Sharman, Clark and Coffield (and them all to get a good run at it), with luck with other picks and continued improvement from Marshall and King that I believe will come. The list is not that far away.

Yeah I'm a optimist

Just proves what a rubbish bunch of forwards this comp has atm.

l_26501101_tony%20lockett.jpg

It's a different era, even Plugger would struggle to kick 100 goals these days. If you bombed the ball to Plugger he'd beat his man and mark. Now someone would sit in the hole in front of him while someone else blocked his run and the wings would have peeled back to block up leading space.

The guys that score heavily now are hard to rate against the legends because the role is so different.

It's a different era, even Plugger would struggle to kick 100 goals these days. If you bombed the ball to Plugger he'd beat his man and mark. Now someone would sit in the hole in front of him while someone else blocked his run and the wings would have peeled back to block up leading space.

The guys that score heavily now are hard to rate against the legends because the role is so different.

Yeah but who would be brave / stupid enough to be the one to 'block his run' :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two thing are obvious with the Saints..1. King is out of form, regardless of the large list of excuses some are putting forward 2. Our forward systems/ structures don't work. We will improve when both of those issues are resolved.

Let's have one person do all our scoring. What could go wrong? Our forward line is so dysfunctional that we don't deserve to win games. King is going as well as any KPF in the land for where he is in his career but we are making everything much harder than it should be for him. A normal club would have multiple avenues to goal and when one was off the boil you'd go through the others.

Some simple forward structures could open others up, make us less predictable and less vulnerable to Max having a bad night. There is a lot of hysteria around King that really wasn't why we lost. Our idiot game plan is setting us up to fail.

Yeah but who would be brave / stupid enough to be the one to 'block his run' :oops:

These days he'd be a small forward with a weight problem. He's shorter than Bont and 3 cm shorter than Cripps.

I said this about Kings kicking 6 months ago now its all coming out I was shot down by people saying there was nothing wrong with him hahahah
Actually alot of people said it months ago....alot of people said it last year as well...

But it is just between the ears, because when he is kicking goals he has a magnificent action...

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

When he had that late start to the year, came back and went gangbusters I think Sheedy put an end to it by plonking Dean Wallis or someone right in front of him.
Thing is, he would have got a LOT more free kicks these days, and goals out the back with defenders pushing high.

Anyway, at his height he'd probably be a bullocking midfielder if he started now! Pushing forward now and then for a lazy 6.

Either way, he's the best kick I've ever seen - whether passing (only did it now and then but it put a hole in the chest) or taking a shot.
Pretty much did everything in his technique that Max doesn't do, go figure.

There is nothing wrong with it when it's working. He has shit technique but if it's working sometimes it's not great to mess with it. There is a touch of hysteria about his game. The coaches lost the match not him. We would be the most predictable side in the league and not even competitive with it.

Coaching staff should watch Gold Coast with Ben (I know they are different players).

Ben always got loads of space in the forward line to lead into.

Poor Max works in a crowded phone booth in our forward 50. That’s on our gameplan, we clearly kick to “hotspots” rather than to leading players (to try and bring our small forwards into the game).

Max has pretty much got the worst working conditions in Australia. No wonder he looks miserable, he’s set up to fail, you couldn’t design a gameplan worse for him.
This has a lot to do with Gold Coast having a much better midfield than Stkilda

Let's have one person do all our scoring. What could go wrong? Our forward line is so dysfunctional that we don't deserve to win games. King is going as well as any KPF in the land for where he is in his career but we are making everything much harder than it should be for him. A normal club would have multiple avenues to goal and when one was off the boil you'd go through the others.

Some simple forward structures could open others up, make us less predictable and less vulnerable to Max having a bad night. There is a lot of hysteria around King that really wasn't why we lost. Our idiot game plan is setting us up to fail.
Rip Lade

Ben is a leading forward, he runs leads much more than Max.
Could be how they are coached…gc leave stoppage chest out at pace, we move the ball inside 50 with long bombs under pressure or snap kicks.
Our mids are slow can’t move from stoppage at pace and don’t kick goals. Max would lead more if he knew we had players that could exit contest quick and will hit him 80% of the time. I am hopeful but not confident our game plan isn’t just bomb it to max😕

These days he'd be a small forward with a weight problem. He's shorter than Bont and 3 cm shorter than Cripps.

Same height as Mitch Owens , slightly more solid. Just slightly.

Jack Darling, also the same height, is 95Kg, Lockett was 112.

When he had that late start to the year, came back and went gangbusters I think Sheedy put an end to it by plonking Dean Wallis or someone right in front of him.
Thing is, he would have got a LOT more free kicks these days, and goals out the back with defenders pushing high.

Anyway, at his height he'd probably be a bullocking midfielder if he started now! Pushing forward now and then for a lazy 6.

Either way, he's the best kick I've ever seen - whether passing (only did it now and then but it put a hole in the chest) or taking a shot.
Pretty much did everything in his technique that Max doesn't do, go figure.

Lol like he'd be fit enough to run in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back