Autopsy Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

How can lade possibly fix that? Serious question
The team has obviously been told to kick it to King as much as possible. If they haven't the coaches should create a better forward structure and tell the team to look for the best option. We go to King more than any other forward in the league. We have Members, Sharman resting ruckman and Hayes prior to the injury who can all be good marking targets

This sounds like a direct quote from 3-4 seasons ago.

Then we went out and got Hanners, Hill, Jones and Howard. Working well
When you go out and get players from other clubs you always have to pay overs.

We just need to accept that we're going to be trash for a few years (again) but instead of investing in outside talent, we need to invest in recruiters who actually have an idea and just go to the draft time and time again.

Build a list around King, Windhager, Owens, NWM. Bring them all up together like Roo, Dal, Joey, BJ under GT.

Then instead of giving anyone outlandish contracts, you set a limit with whoever is captain - like Geelong do - and no one gets paid more unless they can look at the list manager and honestly say they'd beat Jack Steele in a fight to the death.

De Goey, Hill, Jones, Hanners etc all these blokes are just bandaid fixes that get paid way too much money which leads to talent that we draft also wanting too much money.

Set some standards ffs

The team has obviously been told to kick it to King as much as possible. If they haven't the coaches should create a better forward structure and tell the team to look for the best option. We go to King more than any other forward in the league. We have Members, Sharman resting ruckman and Hayes prior to the injury who can all be good marking targets
Too an extent. Yes they have been told to kick it to king. Which is why they put so much work in to get him free with smalls blocking/intercepting his man.

But it isn’t the only instruction

Hill hasn't warranted being dropped this year. Got lucky last year with our lack of fit players.

Your post was an attempt to get people worked up. Unfortunately it worked for some. All it took was a minute of critical thinking to see through it.

Unfortunately we just don’t have a team set up (off or on field) to use a player like Hilly effectively.

If we swapped Freo wingers and we got Ed Langdon and Dees got Hill, we’d be having the same conversations about Langdon and everyone would be lauding how great Hilly is.

Had a few lessons from a part timer in high school.
All is going well 5 years later so no need to seek help.

The mentally deficient proliferating I see.
Triggered again. Shelling peas.

I loved Windhagers ability to make a mistake then not go into his shell. He just went to the next contest and went beast mode. The way he takes off and backs himself to power away shows some real grit. Owens is just a competitor, he doesn't shirk anything. They are two of the more exciting kids we've had in years. Nas has some silk and King despite his bad night is still going to be at least a very good forward with an unlimited ceiling.

It's a good reminder to back the kids in over players like Hanners and Ryder. The next time we challenge they are not taking us any further, the kids might.
Absolutely agree with this. Spot on.

A better midfield will help with the forward line, it was painful watching the ball movement into the forward line last night

Yeah when two clean passes inside 50 are a highlight, you know something sucks.

It all starts in the middle.

Our fwd entries suck and our fwd line movement sucks because we play an extra at the ball allowing the opposition to have a spare back.

The loose defender blocks up space, same as the opposition winger that spreads fast to get back. Hence why we see 3v1 multiple times and the ball easily transitioned out.

We better draft the best available midfielder with our first draft pick this year to pair up with windy and Owens.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's fairly biased. Bruce is a proven better player than both. They can both be better than him, haven't proven anything yet tho
I never liked Bruce so yep.
Thought he can only run in straight lines and is terrible at ground level

Looks like the trade was a good one in the end for us

Peter Hudson taught Loewe how to kick for goal if I recall. Mark the spot and walk in a straight line and kick straight through the ball.

Rocca trained an older Casboult to undo a lifetime of terrible kicking.

How much does it hurt seeing this group try the slow play, chip kick, build up from defensive 50 only to see it inevitably get spoiled out of bounds between the two 50 metre arcs because any team can prepare for it? Outside of the occasional Roma contested mark. THEN. Salt in the wounds, you see the brilliant brain trust of Lyon-Brown-Riewoldt point out the bleeding obvious at half time which our club has failed to see at Round 22 of the season? I love Roo, but let's be honest he's a brilliant player without really seeming like a gun strategist, Jonathon Brown was dropped on his head as a baby, and then another 50 times as an adult on the football field and Garry Lyon seems to be pinging half the time on TV.

We change, and all of a sudden there's a possibility of a game breaking out after half time. And you can't tell me that's the players misinterpreting the message. You cannot have all 22 players misinterpreting the message and playing like that at once like we did in the first half. The skills are off yes, but something stinks within our gameplan/coaching. I just don't know who.
It doesn’t matter who. Ultimately Ratten as senior coach and Rath as director of football are responsible..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele tagged out of it by Mathieson.
Playing like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.
Needs to bulk up for season 2023 looks easily pushed off the ball this year.
Windhager destroyed Neale

Mathieson was pretty good last night. I'd have a crack at him as a depth option. He'd be best 22 at Saints and fringe at Brisbane.

I just picked a footy up at home and held it like that.

For me I felt the muscle on my left arm stretch out and to compensate I turned the bottom of the ball to the left.
It just doesn't feel natural.

Its not a great technique.

Jesus Christ. The coaches are scared of hurting the players feeling? We need that Adelaide camp to get going again and sack anyone that is soft. Melbourne have a drafting guide of competitive and resilient. I don't think many Saints would pass their guidelines.
I don't understand your someone says something positive and it's not true, someone says something that's a bit negative and out there and you're all over it hook, line and sinker.....strange...

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

11 of the players who played last night have been dropped throughout the year. Of the other 11, it would be hard to make a case that any have deserves to be dropped

So if they were too scared of hurting the players feelings by dropping them, they don't seem to be doing a good job at following through with it.
Whether it’s true or not, I think it was completely unprofessional of Lade to be talking about the players like this to people outside the club actually, coterie group or not.

Have said on this post months ago about Kings kicking for goal how he twirls the ball not dropping it correctly. Now its just coming to light, what a joke.
People have been saying it for ages...many more than you.

However, he stops twirling it way before he kicks it....it has about as much bearing on his kicking as Lloyd throwing grass in the air at the telstra dome under the roof....absolutely no bearing what so ever.
The ball is in the same position every time. It's that he seems to be getting to close to the man on the mark, then leaning back or stabbing through the ball.

Not keeping his head over it and kicking through it.

It's all mental. He would be thinking more of the outcome than the actual kick...

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In all likelihood, he didn't.
Well that’s why i said “or not.”

And you’d have to hope it was that, because otherwise the relationship between coach(es) and players would be untenable.

How many kms did plugger, dunstall, fev, hudson, lloyd, brown etc etc etc cover in a match?
How long did they take preparing for a shot?

So easy to focus on technique when you aren't expected to run 10+kms a game plus kick dead-eye straight plus take your kick before the shotclock expires.

Any and all references to any old forwards is entirely unuseful.
I think Hawkins would run no more the 5KM a lot of it is structure as well. But comparing 90s forwards even 2000s isn’t accurate or fair..

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back