Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh, only need to win 5-6 games in a row from here. Already done nine before so should be no problem.

The first quarter (essentially the loss quarter) created a weird quite vibe in the crowd. Still cheers and groans and some smaller chants but nowhere near the level noise that we can expect at home games.

I believe the players don't need the crowd to get them going, but i wonder if the way we go quiet and hold our breath when they take a shot after 7 behinds is felt by the players.

The first quarter (essentially the loss quarter) created a weird quite vibe in the crowd. Still cheers and groans and some smaller chants but nowhere near the level noise that we can expect at home games.

I believe the players don't need the crowd to get them going, but i wonder if the way we go quiet and hold our breath when they take a shot after 7 behinds is felt by the players.
Was it full today? It was flagged as a sell out, but there seemed a lot of empty seats in the first quarter. Can’t say i noticed after that…

Last edited:
Was it full today? I was flagged as a sell out, but there seemed a lot of empty seats in the first quarter. Can’t say i noticed after that…
Crowd was 31, 364. 4th highest crowd at the Gabba this season - Pies: 34,022, Sydney: 33,924, Blues: 33, 367

I'm amazed that Lester has 3 votes.

Anyway to be up for so long is mentally & physically exhausting. This exhaustion might partly explain the wayward goal kicking.

I like to see this as a reboot heading into the finals

GWS were great from 1/4 time onwards. We'd be unlikely to miss as many shots for goal. I noticed at halftime as the lions walked off the body language didn't look good. Maybe they were all wrecked from defending for 30 mins but normally they look a bit more upbeat in a huddle. That miss from Charlie in the 3rd just kills, we can't make it to and win a grand final if he's not kicking the easier ones.

I missed most of the 1st 1/4 which was half our goals :tearsofjoy: . I noticed Fagan mentioned that today was Ashcrofts best game since returning. I thought he still looked like he was trying to just throw it on the boot to get rid of it for quite a number of possessions. Not a game I would watch the replay of but maybe I missed some of his good disposals throughout the game.

A lot of the posts are a tough read but I'd still rather be here than see what vitriol is being posted on facebook lol.
So glad I left Facebook nearly two years ago .
Really bad for mental health , has just become a cesspool for hate about pretty much anything .

Was at the game. I will give credit where it is due. They were more switched on. You could see it with how they were juts making things difficult for our players off the ball and they seemed to have more players at the fall of the ball and were more up and about. In saying that I also got the sense it just wasn’t our day. Missed easy goals, hit the post 3 times, bounce of the ball, some interesting calls. Pantsed in the midfield as well. O’Keefe just negated Big O, their set up in the centre bounce was done really well, they allowed the backside/O’Keefe’s hip side open and nullified our midfielders with pressure. You could also see our skills were lacking by foot and also there was a lot of fumbling. It’s been a long season, they’ve done well to get to this stage. Two more to go. It will be interesting to see where we sit at the end of the season.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet:
Why were GWS allowed to break the 6-6-6 rule all day? They kept trying to get Jesse on Joyce so they would put 2 players in the goal square after a goal. In the first quarter we would play by the rule of only 1 in the square. But after no frees were paid we then just ran with 2 in the square from the 2nd quarter on.

Hi all one for the forum …Hate to point at any one player but what is the take on Fletcher. Over handballs never really backs himself, slow at moving it on.Maybe playing a role but not going to provide the spark we need imho. What are our other options in the VFL. Perhaps he just needs to be shaken up as he has shown glimpses of form during the year. Only young and not the worst with lots of injured options this year but is he only making up the numbers. What do others think ?

Last edited:
I would prefer Robertson coming into the finals. He has the advantage of being able to move through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lads and coaches have salvaged the season so kudos to them. It's been the fight we have wanted. Finals time is a different beast though and with the injuries we have will be one hell of a test. The silver lining is we have found some talent that can come in and play a role. Regardless of the result this year, next year depth wise, is looking very strong.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet:
Why were GWS allowed to break the 6-6-6 rule all day? They kept trying to get Jesse on Joyce so they would put 2 players in the goal square after a goal. In the first quarter we would play by the rule of only 1 in the square. But after no frees were paid we then just ran with 2 in the square from the 2nd quarter on.
It's not breaking the rules. The rule is "one player required to be inside the goal square". There's no clause saying only one player is allowed to be there, just that there has to be one. Having two players in the goal square satisfies that.

Edit:

6. Can a team start with more than one player in the goal square? Yes, the attacking team may position multiple players in the goal square. However, the defensive team does not have to match any more than one.

GWS certainly brought the pressure but there was too much fumbling and poor decision making by us.

Looked like they bullied and intimidated us like Geelong have done for many years.

We need to harden up as a group

Like most, I think Morris is going to be a player. However, I’d love another lead up tall. I’d be looking at Jack Martin who is strong overhead and, with our fitness staff, would be good for a goal or two a game.
I remember hearing that Martin was good friends with Cal Ah Chee when they were both at the Suns. Maybe Cal can play recruiting agent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back