Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Rampe will be back. Amartey too who they managed last week. Melican a chance to come back too.

Of course they'll all be back.

Shark Tank Lori GIF by ABC Network

Lippa at 190cm is taller than all their mids, most of whom are 186cm or less, with Gulden at 175vm.
Agree pace is an issue but, there’s no Cripps type 194cm monster the Swans midfield.

It’s more about attitude than size. Lippa isn’t at all physically combative. He just doesn’t have that mongrel streak in him. And he’s not very agile, so not suited to centre bounce work.

On a positive note, he is a beautiful kick so perhaps needs to be persevered with on a HFF. But please, no time in the centre square.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s more about attitude than size. Lippa isn’t at all physically combative. He just doesn’t have that mongrel streak in him. And he’s not very agile, so not suited to centre bounce work.

On a positive note, he is a beautiful kick so perhaps needs to be persevered with on a HFF. But please, no time in the centre square.

Cupboard is pretty bare and unlike the others in contention to support Pendles, Nick and Crisp, he has played a couple of good games from the centre square.

Cupboard is pretty bare and unlike the others in contention to support Pendles, Nick and Crisp, he has played a couple of good games from the centre square.
His debut game v saints for us in 2022 he had 30 disposals 5 clearances in the centre.
Its a role he can do.
He'll do whatever the coaches want of him, and what the team needs on any given week.

His debut game v saints for us in 2022 he had 30 disposals 5 clearances in the centre.
Its a role he can do.
He'll do whatever the coaches want of him, and what the team needs on any given week.
I hope he responds to the challenge. He said when he was chosen as sub for the GF, he wanted to be the best sub possible & he answered that call 🙏

He had a great start to the year.

I hope he responds to the challenge. He said when he was chosen as sub for the GF, he wanted to be the best sub possible & he answered that call 🙏

He had a great start to the year.
He did
Though with our ball movement and lack of Inside 50's.. I would hate to be playing half forward since the bye.

He wanted more minutes ‘on the ball’ with WB, but they didn’t see him as physically combative. When Collingwood came calling, seeking his services they acquiesced.

There is another way to view this. Other teams typically rush their top 22 injured players back when they play us. It is a signal that they fear us, and regard a victory against us of the utmost importance.
Did we not bring back pendles, checkers, de goey post bye in the suns game? Granted, didn't pay off
When your good players are available, you play your best team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lippa at 190cm is taller than all their mids, most of whom are 186cm or less, with Gulden at 175vm.
Agree pace is an issue but, there’s no Cripps type 194cm monster the Swans midfield.
Given this information, (I wasn't aware of this before), perhaps the need for Ned Long is not as great -as I had first thought, anyway.
I rewatched the game against Carlton, and saw that he was clearly playing a role at stoppages. But Carlton has some brutal beasts in the midfield, and he was no doubt assisting us in dealing with them.
I also noted that he often did appear slow in reactions, and even laying tackles, so understand the criticisms that have been raised.
So, the question of whether Lachie Sullivan might be a better choice is raised, although he too lacks pace (at least by foot). Does Lachie Sullivan have faster reaction times to Ned Long?

I think that the rotation of Beau and Jamie through the midfield might be something we should definitely consider. Both have excellent reaction times.

It seems like in this game the priority will not be so much to block space with a big body (as Long was focussed on), but more reacting quickly to prevent their fireflies from escaping the congestion.

Did we not bring back pendles, checkers, de goey post bye in the suns game? Granted, didn't pay off
When your good players are available, you play your best team.
Of course, but you have to weigh the risks when your top 22 players might not be totally ready.
The fact that we brought back all our top 22 players so quickly indicated our desperation, given our prospects to make finals.
Swans don't have such concerns right now.
Their main priority is to recapture form.
Will playing underdone top 22 players help in that respect, or in fact will it be a disastrous setback to the psychology of the team if they prove unable to perform?

Lippy did have a nice grand final yes
But that’s awhile ago now
Lippy even as outside mid /high half forward still has to go hard /tackle hard and show a level of intensity that’s applicable to the whole team
I don’t expect him to turn into maniacal Maynard but please can he show a harder less bruise free style

Mccreery and Jamie please more midfield minutes this week

Just for a moment I'm allowing myself to think about winning on Friday night & setting ourselves up for a GF replay the following Saturday afternoon.

Mind you I've had my first 🍷in over 2 years 🥴

Of course, but you have to weigh the risks when your top 22 players might not be totally ready.
The fact that we brought back all our top 22 players so quickly indicated our desperation, given our prospects to make finals.
Swans don't have such concerns right now.
Their main priority is to recapture form.
Will playing underdone top 22 players help in that respect, or in fact will it be a disastrous setback to the psychology of the team if they prove unable to perform?
For the swans. Amartey was just managed. Rampe was just a calf, so just natural progression he would be ready. They dont have a big injury list, so if these players are ready they are ready.

For the swans. Amartey was just managed. Rampe was just a calf, so just natural progression he would be ready. They dont have a big injury list, so if these players are ready they are ready.
Thank you for supplying some good honest, common sense Jen.

And we didn't rush him back, and look how he performed.

What are you getting at?
I am saying that your statement "Rampe is just a calf" has no accurate meaning.
It took Beau several weeks to recover.
How do you know that Rampe is ready to return, given the extremely variable nature of calf injuries?
We don't know what pressures are driving the Swans to announce that he is a "test" .
Their backline looked horrible without their talls.
They won't want to go into the game against us again with this defence.
Hence...pressure to get Rampe ready.

I am saying that your statement "Rampe is just a calf" has no accurate meaning.
It took Beau several weeks to recover.
How do you know that Rampe is ready to return, given the extremely variable nature of calf injuries?
We don't know what pressures are driving the Swans to announce that he is a "test" .
Their backline looked horrible without their talls.
They won't want to go into the game against us again with this defence.
Hence...pressure to get Rampe ready.
According to when he did it, he was only expected to miss 1-2 weeks with a low grade strain.
If they think he is ready he is ready. They have medical experts.
And they'll be better for it, to build up their defence.

According to when he did it, he was only expected to miss 1-2 weeks with a low grade strain.
If they think he is ready he is ready. They have medical experts.
And they'll be better for it, to build up their defence.
Every team has medical experts.
But there is a huge question about the objectivity of these experts.

We have seen that played out many times, with how some teams don't apply HIA protocols while others do in the same incident.

All that I am getting at is that with the Swans in Desperation Straits due to their recent form, they are being driven by tempest force winds to address the current debacle.

Their medical staff will be influenced by this in one way or another, just as our medical staff are.

Their backline was horrific last week. They will have the view that everything must be done to strengthen the defence in order to get their performance out of this crisis zone.

Arguably, we prematurely brought back Checkers, maybe Pendles and JDG as well.

Why do you think the Swans are immune from such pressures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back