Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know why people are saying bytel should be dropped.

He played well last night. Couldn’t fault anything he did. People complaining that he wasn’t running for a loose ball that was kicked to him and instead let it go out of bounds obviously weren’t at the game. Those two kicks to him that went out of bounds were horrible.

He had a goal assist and I thought played his role well.

Didn’t rate long last night, and with degoey injured you can’t drop bytel.

Not sure De Goey’s injury changes much for Lipniski. He already wasn’t getting a look in the midfield when De Goey was injured before and also went no where near the midfield when he came on to replace him.
Jordy didnt really play much mid yesterday, more forward and thats where he replaced him I suppose.
They seem to use Lippa wherever they need him. Whether its forward wing. So it'll be interesting if they do decide to give him some midfield minutes for the remaining games of the season. Seems to play his best footy half forward and mid.

Not sure De Goey’s injury changes much for Lipniski. He already wasn’t getting a look in the midfield when De Goey was injured before and also went no where near the midfield when he came on to replace him.
Jordy didn't spend much time in the midfield last night either.

Yes, but. Losing a game by nearly 20 goals does not scream contender to me; and if it’s due to taking their foot off the pedal, then it’s a major miscalculation. That was one hell of a hiding.

I’ve been on the Swans all year, and would have no problems with them winning the flag if we can’t. But this current run of losses looks to be far worse than a late season slump (as we had last year, reputedly due to a heavy training load).

For the Swans it’s more like the wheels have fallen off, the team is cooked, and the coach has lost the plot (to mix up a few negative footy metaphors).

I think we will win next week. Their confidence must be at an all time low - and they’re playing the reigning premiers. It still stands for something.👍
it needs to be a comprehensive belting. We blew our chance in the final quarter against Richmond especially. When you work out all the possible permutations over the next few weeks, it is likely to come down to percentage even if we get 14 wins.

Geel beating Freo this weekend and Bris winning convincingly against GWS will help open up that one finals spot for Collingwood. (Those two teams play each other the following week).
First things first, Collingwood need to take advantage of a hopelessly out of form Sydney and put them to the sword on Friday.

even if carlton lose to hawthorn, they won’t lose to StKilda and the bulldogs won’t drop 2 games from here. Overtaking one of gws or Freo will be the likely way in. Essendon kicking a point in the final seconds against Freo yesterday was massive for Collingwood

Jordy didnt really play much mid yesterday, more forward and thats where he replaced him I suppose.
They seem to use Lippa wherever they need him. Whether it’s forward wing. So it'll be interesting if they do decide to give him some midfield minutes for the remaining games of the season. Seems to play his best footy half forward and mid.
Jordy not playing much mid just makes the article make even less sense.

They seem to use Lipinski exclusively as a forward with the occasion rotation on the wing. He hasn’t been thrown around much at all.

I’d like the club to give him more opportunities up the field but I don’t think De Goey’s injury changes much in this regard.

Jordy not playing much mid just makes the article make even less sense.

They seem to use Lipinski exclusively as a forward with the occasion rotation on the wing. He hasn’t been thrown around much at all.

I’d like the club to give him more opportunities up the field but I don’t think De Goey’s injury changes much in this regard.

Jordy probably did step into the role that Lippa usually plays - a quasi mid role where they start forward and then push up towards the contest and try to break forward from there.

Is it just me thinking this or is it strange that Sydney are such heavy favorites in this game? They've been really bad the past month and this week's game was an abomination. I know teams can respond after a bad loss, but surely the odds should be closer if not 50/50 each way.

it needs to be a comprehensive belting. We blew our chance in the final quarter against Richmond especially. When you work out all the possible permutations over the next few weeks, it is likely to come down to percentage even if we get 14 wins.

Geel beating Freo this weekend and Bris winning convincingly against GWS will help open up that one finals spot for Collingwood. (Those two teams play each other the following week).
First things first, Collingwood need to take advantage of a hopelessly out of form Sydney and put them to the sword on Friday.

even if carlton lose to hawthorn, they won’t lose to StKilda and the bulldogs won’t drop 2 games from here. Overtaking one of gws or Freo will be the likely way in. Essendon kicking a point in the final seconds against Freo yesterday was massive for Collingwood

I have Freo as our only way in. They have the toughest 3 games remaining of the teams that can fall out of the top 8. As you said... Carlton will probably go 2.1 at the least. Dogs won't lose all 3. GWS only need to go 1.2 to make it. So our hope is that Freo lose all 3 games (Geelong, GWS, Port) - Our only problem here is that 2 of these are home games, so you would think Freo would win at least one of these home games...

The key to this entire equation though is This Carlton/Hawthorn game. I know that Pies fans aren't Carlton lovers and would all love them to lose to the Hawks this week... But realistically we NEED Carlton to WIN THIS GAME. The Hawks have Richmond and North after Carlton. Carlton have West Coast and St Kilda. Even if Carlton lose to Hawthorn, they will make the 8 because they will win those last two games. But If Hawthorn lose to Carlton, they won't make the 8. if Hawthorn win against Carlton, they will be taking our spot if Freo/GWS or whoever drops out... We need Carlton to win this game.

Ned Long is the biggest traffic cone I have ever seen, any of Fin, Allan, Sullivan or Reef would be an instant upgrade.
100 percent agree Ned Long tho is playing a role where he is getting matched up by star midfielders. This hurts his opportunity to develop and get better. Meanwhile if he gets put at half forward starting on the bench it would be way better for us.

surely we have a decent chance of beating sydney. There midfield is just getting beat every time.
Hopefully we bring in sullivan and krugs for degoey long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100 percent agree Ned Long tho is playing a role where he is getting matched up by star midfielders. This hurts his opportunity to develop and get better. Meanwhile if he gets put at half forward starting on the bench it would be way better for us.

It's the issue if you're not particularly suited to other roles, like Ned, Finn and Sullivan. You've got to come in and match the best straight away - no 2 years in the AFL against lesser opponents as you develop towards becoming a mid. But at the same time, not being suited to other roles often means that you have weaknesses or a lack of strengths that make you unlikely to make it anyway.

I have Freo as our only way in. They have the toughest 3 games remaining of the teams that can fall out of the top 8. As you said... Carlton will probably go 2.1 at the least. Dogs won't lose all 3. GWS only need to go 1.2 to make it. So our hope is that Freo lose all 3 games (Geelong, GWS, Port) - Our only problem here is that 2 of these are home games, so you would think Freo would win at least one of these home games...

The key to this entire equation though is This Carlton/Hawthorn game. I know that Pies fans aren't Carlton lovers and would all love them to lose to the Hawks this week... But realistically we NEED Carlton to WIN THIS GAME. The Hawks have Richmond and North after Carlton. Carlton have West Coast and St Kilda. Even if Carlton lose to Hawthorn, they will make the 8 because they will win those last two games. But If Hawthorn lose to Carlton, they won't make the 8. if Hawthorn win against Carlton, they will be taking our spot if Freo/GWS or whoever drops out... We need Carlton to win this game.
I feel dirty

Just plugged in the ladder predictior and even if hypothetically, we win on Friday night and all the favourites win (Lions, Freo, Dons, Port, Dogs) + Hawks beat Carlton, we’ll be at best half a game outside the 8. Should Suns win against the Dons it’s only percentage. That’s how close it is atm

The key to this entire equation though is This Carlton/Hawthorn game. I know that Pies fans aren't Carlton lovers and would all love them to lose to the Hawks this week... But realistically we NEED Carlton to WIN THIS GAME. The Hawks have Richmond and North after Carlton. Carlton have West Coast and St Kilda.

Comrade, before proposing this Devil's Tango...

Did you do your numbers on a draw?

(Hawthorn goaling after siren from 60 metres from dubious free kick)

Hawthorn's easier draw and existing percentage gap on us means 2 points gives similar outcome to Carlton victory

This past weekend's results has really shifted the likelihood of us making Top 8 if we win all 3 games

Top 4 is no longer possible like it was prior, but Top 8 has now become more likely than before somehow

I've done a while mess of permutations and we make Top 8 in more of them. There's one or two key games that will decide our fate ultimately, but we're no longer really relying on impossible/unlikely results.

Just need to keep winning really and a couple of big wins wouldn't go astray.

Winning the last 3 would more than likely net us 8th or 7th than it would 9th or 10th, which is great. Let's hope we keep up our end of the bargain.

Is it just me thinking this or is it strange that Sydney are such heavy favorites in this game? They've been really bad the past month and this week's game was an abomination. I know teams can respond after a bad loss, but surely the odds should be closer if not 50/50 each way.
they will lift for us ..home crowd ..probably a few back from injury ...and umpires will be on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back