Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimal changes. I like it. We’ve had no continuity in the side this year thanks to the ridiculous number of injuries.

In addition, selectors have made some odd choices that weren’t actually forced.

Best we try and keep things as stable as possible now.

If we drop this game, play whoever we want to get a game or two into before we go again next year.

150 club games – Jeremy Howe (Collingwood)

SWANS

B: D. Rampe, T. McCartin, N. Blakey
HB: O. Florent, H. Cunningham, M. Roberts
C: C. Mills - C, Ch.Warner, E. Gulden
HF: L. Parker, H. McLean, R. Fox
F: T. Adams, J. Amartey, W. Hayward
FOLL: B. Grundy, I. Heeney, J. Rowbottom

I/C: J. Lloyd, J. Jordon, B. Campbell, L. McDonald, C. Cleary
EMG: A. Francis, P. Ladhams, S. Wicks

IN: D. Rampe, J. Amartey, B. Campbell, C. Cleary
OUT: A. Francis (Omitted), S. Wicks (Omitted), P. Ladhams (Omitted), Co.Warner (Omitted)

MAGPIES

B: B. Frampton, D. Moore - C, B. Maynard
HB: J. Noble, J. Howe, N. Daicos
C: J. Bytel, J. Crisp, J. Daicos
HF: B. Hill, L. Schultz, J. Elliott
F: B. McCreery, D. McStay, W. Hoskin-Elliott
FOLL: D. Cameron, S. Pendlebury, S. Sidebottom

I/C: P. Lipinski, I. Quaynor, N. Long, J. Richards, M. Cox
EMG: N. Kreuger, L. Sullivan, W. Parker

IN: J. Richards
OUT: J. De Goey (Injured)

Looks like we will ask Patrick Lipinski to spend time in the midfield. We know he is capable of playing a more inside role, provided he is not required to do it week after week. We will also I think ask others (Beau, maybe Jamie and Lachie to play rotations through there to compensate for the loss of JDG ithrough a team effort rather than an individual coming in as "like for like".

As others have mentioned, JDG played largely forward last week, and our midfield held up OK last week against the bestial Carlton midfield (until the final quarter).

Interesting that we have retained Long. He is clearly playing a role that it is harder for those on the outside to see, though I think from what I can observe he is clearly providing a physical presence around stoppages that we definitely need.

I think at this stage we are valuing stability over changing personnel with no prospect of any great benefits from doing so. Last week, we played in the vein of 2023 with pressure and swarming features again of our play, and so we are rewarding the entire team by only disrupting it by a forced omission.

Jack Bytel will have his work cut out - his opponent will be either Mills or Gulden.

The return of Rampe will strengthen their defence (if he is not being rushed back). This makes it much more difficult to follow the PA template, where they exposed the Swans' defence for height.

We are clearly going with the more hybrid model of forward line that, through necessity, we have created, with a plethora of dangerous small forwards along with two talls (McStay and Cameron/Cox) in the forward line. Most likely, I think Richards will be sub, as I think Lipinski will be needed in the midfield.

Swans won't be playing like last week. Their game last week is not overly useful for devising strategies to beat them, as it was an aberration. We will definitely be looking more at other games that the Swans recently lost as a more useful and realistic guide.

As usual everything will depend upon us configuring a midfield set up that can challenge the Swans, hinder their transition and allow us to move the ball with fluency.

Looking forward to see Darcy and Mason take on Grundy. I loved Grundy when he was with us, but I feel confident that Cameron and Cox together will hold him to account.

Looks like we will ask Patrick Lipinski to spend time in the midfield. We know he is capable of playing a more inside role, provided he is not required to do it week after week. We will also I think ask others (Beau, maybe Jamie and Lachie to play rotations through there to compensate for the loss of JDG ithrough a team effort rather than an individual coming in as "like for like".

As others have mentioned, JDG played largely forward last week, and our midfield held up OK last week against the bestial Carlton midfield (until the final quarter).

Interesting that we have retained Long. He is clearly playing a role that it is harder for those on the outside to see, though I think from what I can observe he is clearly providing a physical presence around stoppages that we definitely need.

I think at this stage we are valuing stability over changing personnel with no prospect of any great benefits from doing so. Last week, we played in the vein of 2023 with pressure and swarming features again of our play, and so we are rewarding the entire team by only disrupting it by a forced omission.

Jack Bytel will have his work cut out - his opponent will be either Mills or Gulden.

The return of Rampe will strengthen their defence (if he is not being rushed back). This makes it much more difficult to follow the PA template, where they exposed the Swans' defence for height.

We are clearly going with the more hybrid model of forward line that, through necessity, we have created, with a plethora of dangerous small forwards along with two talls (McStay and Cameron/Cox) in the forward line. Most likely, I think Richards will be sub, as I think Lipinski will be needed in the midfield.

Swans won't be playing like last week. Their game last week is not overly useful for devising strategies to beat them, as it was an aberration. We will definitely be looking more at other games that the Swans recently lost as a more useful and realistic guide.

As usual everything will depend upon us configuring a midfield set up that can challenge the Swans, hinder their transition and allow us to move the ball with fluency.

Looking forward to see Darcy and Mason take on Grundy. I loved Grundy when he was with us, but I feel confident that Cameron and Cox together will hold him to account.
DC is in career best form - his marking has been a feature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 187cm, Rampe is not fixing their lack of height in defence. McCartin -at 194cm is shorter than McStay. And although Blakey is their tallest at 196cm we doesn’t have the body to match it with either DC or Cox when they rest fwd.
I think their defense is very vulnerable.

Dead right - no one can work out what Long is doing on the park!!
He has no idea at centre bounces and was thrashed last week.
Like a deer in the headlights when he does touch the ball. Panics and immediately gives to the nearest player.
Finn and Reef are both far superior players. Makes no sense.

At 187cm, Rampe is not fixing their lack of height in defence. McCartin -at 194cm is shorter than McStay. And although Blakey is their tallest at 196cm we doesn’t have the body to match it with either DC or Cox when they rest fwd.
I think their defense is very vulnerable.
Yes, you could be right. But they are top of the ladder for a reason. They wouldn't be there if their defence was severely vulnerable, surely. I don't know much about the Swans...maybe they have another top 22 tall defender out atm? ( I know Melican is currently injured, but don't know his height).

Anyway, I like the dynamic nature of our forward line. We have done so well to create a different style forward line after the losses of both Checkers and McStay. I think our forward line is one of the most dangerous in the comp.

Our midfield is far more the issue atm.

Minimal changes. I like it. We’ve had no continuity in the side this year thanks to the ridiculous number of injuries.

In addition, selectors have made some odd choices that weren’t actually forced.

Best we try and keep things as stable as possible now.

If we drop this game, play whoever we want to get a game or two into before we go again next year.

I’m disappointed. We’ve lacked courage at selection. DeGoey is probably our biggest X-factor player. The guy outside the team with most X-factor is Kreuger. We should have brought him in. He would really worry the Swans defence.

And retaining all of Bytel, Long and Lipinski is so uninspired. None of them are making a meaningful contribution to team performance. And they’re all treacle-slow. I’d have gone with Parker and Harrison for pace and because they seem to make things happen.

Overall, a very underwhelming line-up in such a do-or-die match. The Swans’ players and coaches will all be happy with the side we’ve chosen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Not sure I've ever seen a winger get tagged but I'm all for Bytel shadowing Gulden tomorrow night 🤔
Like this idea.
Sometimes, I descend into superficial impressionism. But I see on Bytel's face, and in his actions, a dour desire to achieve everything he possibly can.
Tagging his direct opponent would be a fantastic, and clear role for him to fulfil.

Like this idea.
Sometimes, I descend into superficial impressionism. But I see on Bytel's face, and in his actions, a dour desire to achieve everything he possibly can.
Tagging his direct opponent would be a fantastic, and clear role for him to fulfil.
It would be nice... But, we simply don't tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back