Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Upon calming down, it is what it is. We really need to put anyone on ice that needs it next week, we looked pretty banged up there. Unlikely we finish top four now but we aren't likely to miss finals. So if result go our way tonight and tomorrow to ensure we can't miss finals, just treat next game as a training run for some of the depth and just give the banged up guys two weeks off and hope it freshens them up for a run from 7th or 8th.

Not looking forward to facing Hawthorn though.

I'm definitely looking forward to facing the Hawks. Perfect time for this group to redeem themselves for all the past times they've lost to a mediocre Hawks team.

Much as I love Oscar, I wish he would dish off a handball after a free kick or mark rather than hesitating for 10 seconds and then bombing the ball forward to a pack. The good opposition teams know what he is going to and set up for it. Most noticeable yesterday,and they also set up for his quick clearance kicks from the centre square.
Zorko must grow tired of running past for the handball that never comes.

On reflection we've lost the same way 2 weeks running , getting a 5 to 6 goal lead and wresting back ascendency twice more during the game only to really stop like a pricked balloon in the final few minutes. Yeterday Daniher had a shot to put us 4 goals up with 6 or 7 minutes on the clock.

Obviously we're tired. Or more tired than the opposition want to be.

McRae's observation about umpiring at the MCG in a tight finish proved to be spot on. Not that we didn't allow it to get to that stage.

We were playing the PREMIERS today. Not West Coast or anyrhing.
And Giants last week are Not a bad side . I've backed them to win the GF this year.
Brisbane lost quite narrowly to both those sides. 2 Very High rated sides.
It's Not the end of the World (or Premiership chance) a one point loss ??
sure... Lions missed the easy shots at goal so lost. At least they were Getting Easy Shots at goal . shows 'Some' ability.
Go Lions !! for the win.

Sure we played last year's premiers but they ain't worth shit this yr & losing to them bcos we couldn't kick straight is not something to celebrate

I was at a footy feast panel show last night with Zork, Rayner, Lohmann. They basically said they do heaps of goal kicking practice - it’s the pressure that is the issue.
So the work needs to be done with the sports psychologist, not on the training track.

We've been playing finals since '19 so how come they haven't managed to fix the psychology yet?
Seems to me that we just have too many gentle, blasé types in our team

This is shocking defence. Huge hole to run into - and even a loose player 10 metres off the pack in an acre of space.

View attachment 2082779

Is that Starce in front of Hill?
Why is his body in front & facing towards him & yet his head is facing the ball? That can't be a useful defence stance? You'd think the better stance would be to have body & head facing the ball while standing close enough to Hill to know when he's moving.

Or have I misunderstood & misinterpreted what's happening?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s not worry about Hawthorn or Collingwood at the Gabba in finals. Let’s just see if we can get over the line next week.

Once again feel blessed I got to witness a game like that in person

Yet simultaneously I feel absolutely ripped off

Supporting this club is good fun, innit?

Anyways. I don't think it's as bad as it seems, despite the obvious implications of the loss.

The reality is that this is obviously the tightest season ever and I genuinely think we still have a path to the GF. Smash Essendon, then an elimination vs perhaps a young feel or a broken Carlton. Win that and I would back us in to beat either Sydney or Geelong away. Beating Geelong at the MCG would be ideal for team psyche.

If we did that, Id then back us in to go over to Adelaide and flog port again haha

But yeah if another heartbreaking finals exit beckons, it's really not the end of the world. Our list is super strong, scary even.

We'll break through and my god it'll be sweet when we do!

On reflection we've lost the same way 2 weeks running , getting a 5 to 6 goal lead and wresting back ascendency twice more during the game only to really stop like a pricked balloon in the final few minutes. Yeterday Daniher had a shot to put us 4 goals up with 6 or 7 minutes on the clock.

Be nice if we could kick straighter. Should have led by far more than just 14 points at three quarter time.

Bailey kicks into the post from 25 metres out from a set shot. Rayner misses a set shot 20 metres out directly in front. Lohmann misses on the run 40 metres out. Ashcroft misses on the run 30 metres out on a 45 degree angle.

Rayner and Bailey in particular should have kicked those goals.

Last edited:
Struggling to calm down.
With 3.48 we are up by 11
Be nice if we could kick straighter. Should have led by far more than just 14 points at three quarter time.

Bailey kicks into the post from 25 metres out from a set shot. Rayner misses a set shot 20 metres out directly in front. Lohmann misses on the run 40 metres out. Ashcroft misses on the run 30 metres out on a 45 degree angle.

Rayner and Bailey in particular should have kicked goals.
It really is that simple. As others have said it’s between the ears. 3/4 of those should be kicked, especially Bailey and Rayner. They shouldn’t be missing them.

The 3 things I said would beat us did. The yips infront of goal, the running game and smalls (Schultz eg) would swamp us and the home ground free kick advantage. I was very wrong about the margin, 30+ I called.

Free kicks were 23-20 to the Pies in the end. 11-2 in the last qtr. Complete momentum killer, completely unbalanced. How do you not see the trip on Daniher then give a free kick the other way? Fletcher cops one high in a tackle from Schultz but then gets penalised for holding the ball for an easy goal to said offender. The umpires were not looking for free kicks to us, only against us. Plenty to be said for what Longmire expressed during the week.

Everyone has a right to express their disappointment any way they like. Just as I have a right to disagree with it and call it out for being sooks. For goodness sake, some of the vitriol, hate, player slurs, etc is disgraceful. It makes me wonder if many have ever played a team sport at any level after primary school and if they did I'd reckon they'd have been the very average player in the background backstabbing the captain or coach. Go on, have a crack back at me. I'm too old to give a flying rats arse.

We lost to a very good team, with the strongest home ground advantage and a game plan/style of play we struggle against, by 1 point. That's sport, that's footy. If ya wanna support a team that never loses, is perfect every week, then there's always the Harlem Globetrotters.

The 3 things I said would beat us did. The yips infront of goal, the running game and smalls (Schultz eg) would swamp us and the home ground free kick advantage. I was very wrong about the margin, 30+ I called.

Free kicks were 23-20 to the Pies in the end. 11-2 in the last qtr. Complete momentum killer, completely unbalanced. How do you not see the trip on Daniher then give a free kick the other way? Fletcher cops one high in a tackle from Schultz but then gets penalised for holding the ball for an easy goal to said offender. The umpires were not looking for free kicks to us, only against us. Plenty to be said for what Longmire expressed during the week.

Everyone has a right to express their disappointment any way they like. Just as I have a right to disagree with it and call it out for being sooks. For goodness sake, some of the vitriol, hate, player slurs, etc is disgraceful. It makes me wonder if many have ever played a team sport at any level after primary school and if they did I'd reckon they'd have been the very average player in the background backstabbing the captain or coach. Go on, have a crack back at me. I'm too old to give a flying rats arse.

We lost to a very good team, with the strongest home ground advantage and a game plan/style of play we struggle against, by 1 point. That's sport, that's footy. If ya wanna support a team that never loses, is perfect every week, then there's always the Harlem Globetrotters.
I think the issue most people have is that we've lost crucial games that we clearly should've won and we've more or less been doing it the same way at this end of the year for some time now.

Otherwise I agree with some of your points. The umps got caught up with the crowd late in the game but really we only have ourselves to blame for it getting to that stage.

Other than that it's only footy .I'm used to big disappointments except for 3 years out of 60+.

I have never screamed at the TV as loud as I did yesterday when Zac Bailey got run down from behind late in the game, MAN ON! MAN ON! I yelled, sadly Zac didn't hear me... I scared the grandkids.

It happens regularly to Zac, very disappointing he hasn't taken any learnings out of it yet.

I actually felt more down with that loss than the GF, we would have snatched the GF, yesterday was a bad bad loss. I am over it now though, move on to the Bombers.

We are all Eagles supporters next Saturday afternoon, they couldn't possibly do it could they?

Disappointed like everyone else.
The only mental remedy i see is beat the Bombers next week and hopefully the break helps us more than other teams.

Our forwards are a big reason we have been in the top 4 teams over the past years.
We can get things back on track, but will it happen is the question. Hopefully the answer is yes.

I think Jo has carried to much of the overall load up forward this year while also pinch hitting in the ruck.
Jo does some Jo things that are frustrating but overall, he is by far our most consistent forward.
He needs more consistent support from the other senior forward players.

Hipwood is important structurally for our forwards especially when Jo is in the ruck.
He is slightly ahead in career averages so playing up to expectations in that regard.
In my opinion he did not have any influence on the game yesterday.
Hopefully it was not groin related and just blowing out cobwebs after missing 2 games.

Cameron just does not look comfortable shooting from set shots this year.
Charlie is doing other pressure things especially down back. But why is he down there in the first place.
Tackles this year just 47 with a few games to go. Previous two years 77 & 76.
He is a low possession small forward who we need to kick more goals in the remaining matches.
He has only kicked more that 2 goals on two occasions this year.

Rayner according to the media is having his best year but overall stats are just a fraction better than 2023.
He did have a purple patch of 3/4 games where he moved into elite category in a few key arears.
Talks of $1 million plus a year to retain him
But the last two weeks he was back to his usual average. Missed a sitter v Pies when the team needed a lift.

Lohmann 21 years old with 30 AFL games.
He has showed a lot of promise but in and out of games. Great 1st quarter yesterday then faded.

Morris is only 19 and shows huge potential after only 14 AFL games.
He has great goal sense when on the run, a thing you can't teach a KPF.
However, he needs to fix up his set shot accuracy.

Bailey and Ah-Chee forward or wing
First of all, wings have been an issue for us for years before Fletcher arrived. Still very much not our strongpoint though.
Fagan has been alternating Bailey & Ah-Chee for a while now and i wish he would settle on one.
Or move Willmot to the wing but a bit late in the year for that maybe.

Bailey i still hold hope for but the coaches need to tell him the fend off is his last resort before offloading the ball.
He also needs to be told to not run in straight lines when he thinks he may be in the clear.
Good players change direction by going slightly right or left while still going forward.
You know what you are doing but any chasing player does not. He has been caught from behind many times over the years.

Ah-Chee is having a consistent season. I wish he stayed forward as he applies more pressure than Bailey.
It's the ball coming out of our forward line easily that teams score fairly easily against the Lions

Conclusion
Going into these last few games of 2024 we need the senior players Daniher, Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner, Bailey/Ah-Chee to step up bigtime.
We can't expect 19-year-old Morris to have the experience of a Gardiner/ McStay.
Same with Lohmann over the experience of Linc McCarthy.

Disappointed like everyone else.
The only mental remedy i see is beat the Bombers next week and hopefully the break helps us more than other teams.

Our forwards are a big reason we have been in the top 4 teams over the past years.
We can get things back on track, but will it happen is the question. Hopefully the answer is yes.

I think Jo has carried to much of the overall load up forward this year while also pinch hitting in the ruck.
Jo does some Jo things that are frustrating but overall, he is by far our most consistent forward.

Hipwood is important structurally for our forwards especially when Jo is in the ruck.
He is slightly ahead in career averages so playing up to expectations in that regard.
In my opinion he did not have any influence on the game yesterday.
Hopefully it was not groin related and just blowing out cobwebs after missing 2 games.

Cameron just does not look comfortable shooting from set shots this year.
Charlie is doing other pressure things especially down back. But why is he down there in the first place.
Tackles this year just 47 with a few games to go. Previous two years 77 & 76.
He is a low possession small forward who we need to kick more goals in the remaining matches.
He has only kicked more that 2 goals on two occasions this year.

Rayner according to the media is having his best year but overall stats are just a fraction better than 2023.
He did have a purple patch of 3/4 games where he moved into elite category in a few key arears.
Talks of $1 million plus a year to retain him
But the last two weeks he was back to his usual average. Missed a sitter v Pies when the team needed a lift.

Lohmann 21 years old with 30 AFL games.
He has showed a lot of promise but in and out of games. Great 1st quarter yesterday then faded.

Morris is only 19 and shows huge potential after only 14 AFL games.
He has great goal sense when on the run, a thing you can't teach a KPF.
However, he needs to fix up his set shot accuracy.

Bailey and Ah-Chee forward or wing
First of all, wings have been an issue for us for years before Fletcher arrived. Still very much not our strongpoint though.
Fagan has been alternating Bailey & Ah-Chee for a while now and i wish he would settle on one.
Or move Willmot to the wing but a bit late in the year for that maybe.

Bailey i still hold hope for but the coaches need to tell him the fend off is his last resort before offloading the ball.
He also needs to be told to not run in straight lines when he thinks he may be in the clear.
Good players change direction by going slightly right or left while still going forward.
You know what you are doing but any chasing player does not. He has been caught from behind many times over the years.

Ah-Chee is having a consistent season. I wish he stayed forward as he applies more pressure than Bailey.
It's the ball coming out of our forward line easily that teams score fairly easily against the Lions

Conclusion
Going into these last few games of 2024 we need the senior players Daniher, Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner, Bailey/Ah-Chee to step up bigtime.
We can't expect 19-year-old Morris to have the experience of a Gardiner/ McStay.
Same with Lohmann over the experience of Linc McCarthy.
Get Phil Jauncey back on board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back