Preview Round 23, 2024 : Hawks v Tigers, 3.20pm Sun 18th Aug, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Even two wins might not be enough to get us through to finals.

We need big wins just to make finals. Let alone the risks of flirting with form.
2 wins and where in. No way freo win there last 2. Even if they win 1 we still jump them.

From a curiosity stand point, I’ve always wondered what the colours yellow and black look like when pulverised. Does it just stay black? Hopefully this Sunday my question will be answered.
Black and yellow make green. When pulverised into the green turf it'll be like Richmond aren't there at all. Bit like how they'll start the game before being pulverised.

I don't think it's that simple. From the perspective of our backline we preference playing through the left wing (Massimo) and save the right wing (Jiath/Morrison) for surprise set plays with gut runners like Impey, Weddle and Moore breaking away into the space on that right wing if the opposition over commits to defending the left wing.

Whoever plays that right-side winger role is going to have variable involvement with the ball based on how the game plays out. On Sunday for example Carlton were good enough at setting up their defensive structures to clog up our left wing but they weren't good at defending the switch (which plays out differently to the right wing set plays coming straight from the kick-in). So Morrison got to see a bit more ball in attacking chains.

If we're getting our way and largely getting to play the game on our left wing then most opportunities for the right winger to get involved with the ball will come from the opposition trying to play through that other side. But as far as I can tell if the defensive right winger is doing their job well they are getting back to cut off the space and option to switch and ensuring our defensive structure is holding shape (from their general position they should have one of the best views). Which means doing their job well can actually equate to less possessions.

This isn't to say Morrison didn't have a good game, because he most definitely did. Or that CJ has or hasn't had a better one himself. Just that it's one of those roles for the side that I don't think can be graded just by looking at individual player stats.
Fantastic post...

Where I sit at the G its really obvious how we only go down the right side for set plays or an absurd outnumber...

It failed us a few times, but when it works it looks glorious (Scrimma's torp for example).

I wonder if going down the left side is to favour our kickers being able to turn back inside and cut the ball in from the half back flank.

This. Even two wins might not be enough to get us through to finals.

We need big wins just to make finals. Let alone the risks of flirting with form.
So many things need to go wrong for us to miss finals if we win 2 games.

Carlton would have to win both big

AND

Fremantle would have to beat both GWS AND Port

AND

Bulldogs would have to beat North AND GWS

AND

BRISBANE has to beat Collingwood and Essendon

So essentially we just need GWS to win 1 game out of FREO and WB and we play finals.

IF GWS lose both, we are within striking distance of them on percentage.

There are also scenarios of Port losing both that see us making it.

Moorey doing the presser today instead of Sam.
No media, no Tim/Talking Hawks either.

I told Newmo89 that I should have borrowed his press badge 🙂 so that I can ask the toughest questions like what he do week in and week out…. Just Kidding
IMG_3226.jpeg

Meek, Nash, Day are present in the main training.
CJ in a non playing attire.
1723768049765.jpeg IMG_3231.jpeg

Last edited:
Freo lose both games it doesn't matter what Carlton do were in
Agreed, but the OP suggested a draw between GWS-Freo was all that was needed. If Freo win the port game, and draw/defeat GWS they remain ahead of us as well.

In then end - if we don't muck around then we don't find out.

Play our best, aim to win both games and win them well, then hopefully we can host an elimination final.

Last edited:
I'm just looking what other teams need to do so we finish 4th next week.

As I think we will win the next two by plenty as in this winning run our winning margins haven't been small, in most games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This weeks main training notes.
All 26 players named are all present, I assume No change.
Take that with a grain of salt.

CJ, Bmac and and an unknown tall dude (I think his name is Jaime O Henry ... something like that) are running laps.
1723778316820.png

Weddle guarding The Wiz
1723778358402.png

Day in the tent of doom
1723778390564.png

Frosty running laps and away from the main group after the match sims
1723778408419.png
1723778422615.png

Punky doing some pictorial
1723778433402.png
1723778461343.png
Regarding Day and Frost Newmo89 told me that
"Daysy will play - they're just managing his training. Frosty should be OK."

I also asked Zane Littlejohn (Box Hill's coach) at the end of the training if Cody Anderson is part of our NGA. He said "Yes".

Last edited:

CJ, Bmac and and an unknown tall dude (I think his name is Jaime O Henry ... something like that) are running laps.
View attachment 2080791

Weddle guarding The Wiz
View attachment 2080793

Day in the tent of doom
View attachment 2080794

View attachment 2080795
View attachment 2080796

View attachment 2080797
View attachment 2080798

I also asked Zane Littlejohn (Box Hill's coach) at the end of the training if Cody Anderson is part of our NGA. He said "Yes".

I wonder if Anderson can play some games at BH before season out then.

if Gunston needs a rest (i don't think he does), id bring in Serong who is much deserving of a game.

Serong gives so much flexibility as it allows Sicily or Hardwick to go forward or even Serong himself. Also, all can be thrown back if needed. Rotation flexibility based on matchups.

My fears with Richmond are Nank, Balta, Bolton and Rioli. Not much else. We can't take it lightly.

Unless of injuries, I see no change.
Half these blokes won’t don yellow and black again after next week - motivation will play in to whether this is a close game or a blow out.

View attachment 2080791

Weddle guarding The Wiz
View attachment 2080793

Day in the tent of doom
View attachment 2080794

View attachment 2080795
View attachment 2080796

View attachment 2080797
View attachment 2080798

https://nbl1.com.au/player-listing/jaime-uhr-henry

Is this the Cat B rookie badketball someone mentioned in another thread?

Now is not the time to get complacent. We need to win both games by heaps to boost our percentage by as much as possible. Don’t you think that both Richmond and North Melbourne would love to beat us?
I have a lot of respect for the Tigers as a club for what they achieved since 2017. But right now, I think they at the cliffs edge of the massive rebuild, their best players want out and the rest are ready for a holiday - my personal view is that they won’t offer much this week.

I’m more worried about Norf being motivated the week after, by Clarko and their club’s general animus towards us.

Could it be Jamie Uhr-Henry? Played at East Ringwood then Oakleigh Chargers, but has been playing Basketball for Dandy Rangers since then. Was always a much better Basketballer than Footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back