Toast Round 23 = Collingwood 79-78 Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Brave?

Reef cracks in at the contest hard as any. He just needs to get to more of them.

He maybe fine long term but right now he looks miles off it and the other 2 have clearly played better in limited minutes.
Fin has had his jumper parked by the match committee. They have basically put a line through him. Great in the VFL yesterday, but he's not an AFL standard player.

This is the best bad season I reckon that I can recall.

Highly likely we miss finals but the momentum we have built sets us up for another crack next year. To be still mathematically alive heading into the last round is a magnificent achievement considering the bad luck and poor results during the season.

To have potentially knocked Carlton out of the eight and now Brisbane out of the top four is quite palatable compensation for missing out ourselves.

Nick Daicos is a pretty good player. That goal on the run is something to behold… to have the audacity to take a run with his opponents just a metre or so away from him , AND take a couple of bounces at full pace while they were still in tackling distance off him, then to nail the goal, still at full pace… astonishing.

It's amazing how we can have different perceptions of players from other clubs.

A lady at my work who I now sit near is a massive Lions fan and we have been talking footy for the past maybe 6 weeks.

Anyway, Zac Bailey is one of my favourite non Collingwood players - just like the way he moves and is a good finisher etc. The lady at work was like she finds him so frustrating as he always gets caught holding the ball. His awareness isn't great etc. I had never really noticed that side of his game.

Sure enough yesterday in the last quarter, IQ mows down Zac Bailey for holding the ball lol

It's amazing how we can have different perceptions of players from other clubs.

A lady at my work who I now sit near is a massive Lions fan and we have been talking footy for the past maybe 6 weeks.

Anyway, Zac Bailey is one of my favourite non Collingwood players - just like the way he moves and is a good finisher etc. The lady at work was like she finds him so frustrating as he always gets caught holding the ball. His awareness isn't great etc. I had never really noticed that side of his game.

Sure enough yesterday in the last quarter, IQ mows down Zac Bailey for holding the ball lol
Love Bailey but the shape of his head and size of his nose always frightens me a bit when i see him

Yesterday's performance pulled on the heartstrings in a way only Collingwood can.

Finishing this strong against Brisbane was uplifting. I can imagine how much belief the group got that they still have "it".

The Bears will now be haunted about playing us but they remain an excellent team. Their ball movement in the first 1/2 especially was outstanding.

No idea how things will pan out in '24 and no point dwelling on what may have been if JDG and Checkers were fit during the year.

Pendles looked like a guy who will turn 37 in January. He'll bounce back, he always does.

P.S. As per Kirby's post, we should note which posters go missing after wins only to return after a loss. (Kirbs rarely offers sensible advice but is on point with that one).

Good PS. It is one thing to be a whiney team bagger in the game day thread, entirely another to be a prolific post-loss poster compared with “no appearance, your worship” after a win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good PS. It is one thing to be a whiney team bagger in the game day thread, entirely another to be a prolific post-loss poster compared with “no appearance, your worship” after a win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thank you, Sidey.

The board should know who those posters are and "credit" them accordingly.

Is praising my PS a kind way of saying the rest of my post was shyte?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved what Fly said about Schultz. Should be compulsory reading for all Pies fans. He does so much for the team, but tonight it was his turn to shine, exactly when we needed it.
Credit where it’s due, came up clutch tonight.

Still think criticism of his season is fair enough, but now certainly not the time for it. Coaches notice and appreciate the off the ball stuff a lot more than the regular pundit probably does, so fair enough for Fly to make mention of that value.

70 tackles to 40 tackles.

Lions well and truly looked after by the umps, despite what they think. That stat alone should result in us having at least 10 more free kicks.
I’m a big advocate of separating the free kicks into free kicks from tackles rewarded and other free kicks. I would love to see that stat because your higher tackling sides should always have more free kicks.

I’m a big advocate of separating the free kicks into free kicks from tackles rewarded and other free kicks. I would love to see that stat because your higher tackling sides should always have more free kicks.
Can’t agree. Tackling as a skill invites errors on behalf of the tackler as well as the reward associated with holding the ball decisions. I’d be interested in seeing the stats between high tackles v holding the ball decisions across a season. I would imagine they’re pretty even.

Can’t agree. Tackling as a skill invites errors on behalf of the tackler as well as the reward associated with holding the ball decisions. I’d be interested in seeing the stats between high tackles v holding the ball decisions across a season. I would imagine they’re pretty even.
Do frees include deliberate OOB and out on the full also though?

Do frees include deliberate OOB and out on the full also though?
You mean as a direct result of stemming from the tackle? It’s a fair point.

Also need to throw in the “not returning the ball correctly” frees plucked out as a consequence of tackles too 😂

Even so, I want to see tackles rewarded as a stat. We would get more than the average when we play our high pressure high tackling game.

More than we would get frees against for the occasional high tackle. The high tackle frees would just be in other frees.

The way I see it, free kicks are given because your opponent infringes in some way. You can’t “earn” a free kick, except for a tackle that results in holding the ball.

So I want that separated from other frees.

Last edited:
How was the textbook tap to him roving in the Centre square?!? Chef’s kiss.
Sidebottom playing a run-with role with potent players of similar body shape (ie Gulden, Neale) is genius. It makes so much sense.
He’s still our best endurance runner.
He doesn’t get soft tissue injuries.
He can play deep in defence or attack. Of course he’s a midfielder.
And it shows true leadership.
He is playing the ultimate team role. A 2x Premiership player is parking his ego to do the primary role of shut out the opposition’s danger and then attack when he has the opportunity.
If Sidebottom can deliver on this plan for another 1-2 years, this could be the greatest re-boot since Tony Liberatore.
These are the real types of footballers that keep our great game so interesting.

Last edited:
Even so, I want to see tackles rewarded as a stat. We would get more than the average when we play our high pressure high tackling game.

More than we would get frees against for the occasional high tackle. The high tackle crews would just be in other frees.

The way I see it, free kicks are given because your opponent infringes in some way. You can’t “earn” a free kick, except for a tackle that results in holding the ball.

So I want that separated from other frees.
I don’t disagree with the reasoning to split them out - just the premise that more tackles -> more free kicks. And I’ll caveat further. More completed tackles should lead to the generation of more holding the balls all things being equal. I’m referring to the free kick totals from the perspective of tally for the game instead of tallies from a direct consequence of “x” action.

I quite like your thinking on the above.

Is a high, or any illegal tackle, considered a tackle?

Did anybody else notice that the Brions do “Ginnivans”. They drop the knees at high contact to draw free kicks…. And they get them! 🤬🤬
Saw the posts about tackles/frees and just about to comment on their technique.
I won’t label it a Ginnivan, but they were dropping their knees and leading with their head.
Joe had two goes in one play in 1st and ump. paid the second one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 23 = Collingwood 79-78 Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back