Game Day Round 23: Collingwood v Hawthorn, MCG, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capable of 100+ win tonight.

A score of 140 is quite an easy achievement for this side when we're able to dominate possession. We might even exceed that given there is less than 200 games experience across their entire backline.

At the other end it's a similar story in terms of an imbalance in experience. Duryea and Lithers should keep their smalls quiet and Gibson and Lake can take it in turns marking the high ball given they won't have Cloke to contend with. The team should quite easily be able to restrict them to about 40 points.

The midfield is the only part of the field that Collingwood have any real experience left. 2 of their best 4 mids are out tonight leaving Pendles and Sidebottom as the two dangerous players. Ball isn't what he once was but given it's his last game we might see a slight increase on his output in this game. Either way our midfield is just as experienced but bats far more deepily. Get on top here early against their best players and the rest of the young Collingwood side will drop their heads.

On the eve of finals with a relatively fit list this game becomes a bit of an audition for finals spots and with a coach in Clarko that demands 100% effort 100% of the time then I think we can expect to see a big win for the Hawks tonight.

Go easy if he is asking this question he is obviously in his SC GF. He will be very nervous about now.
Haha I lost a prelim in a comp that pays out money to the winner due to Minson not playing last week. I saw he was a doggies supporter and I saw red :p

(Not that upset though. My opponent would've belted me :confused:)

VFL finals start this week. Given guys like Schoey, Duryea and (possibly?) Litherland don't qualify due to playing so much time at AFL level it's probably seen as the last opportunity to give them game time prior to the finals in case they are needed.

VFL finals start this week. Given guys like Schoey, Duryea and (possibly?) Litherland don't qualify due to playing so much time at AFL level it's probably seen as the last opportunity to give them game time prior to the finals in case they are needed.
That is an astute observation Cryptor. :thumbsu: (edit: if accurate! :D)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have a huge injury list, but beware the sick sportsman. I remember the day Dunstall was shooting for his 1000th goal against Essendon at the MCG. Essendon were decimated by injury, they didn't have a chance according to most, and they came out an spanked us. I know the result of the game is inconsequential, but I'd like to hit the finals in winning form, as well as continue our advantage over Collingwood.

We've currently got 25 players on our list who have played at least one finals match in their career. Players like Ceglar and Langford will be the only in-experienced players in our best 22 heading into September who haven't played in a final before. Despite the injuries we've copped our list still bats deep and it's important that we have up to a dozen players outside of the best 22 to choose from in case we get any injuries.

This season we have used 35 players on our list, blooded 8 youngsters and unearthed some more talent for the future. I like how Clarkson has one eye for this year, while at the same time look towards the future by giving valuable game time to our younger players.

Last edited:
Think I got a bit closer than MinerBoy just quietly :cool:

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-o.gif

:p

No it's not, we can play any of those guys in the VFL team as long as Hawthorn is still playing in the AFL. Those special rules only kick in once we are not fielding an AFL team (finals included).

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...204557-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=31121267

"During the first week of the VFL finals selection can be open, just as it is throughout the home and away season as it coincides with the final home and away AFL round.

But from the second week of the finals certain eligibility criteria kicks in.

When one club has both its AFL and VFL or affiliated club engaged on the same weekend during the finals, selection will again be open as long as a player has played at least one VFL game during the 2014 home and away season."

Last edited:
Schoenmakers will likely play up forward. I personally just can't see any of Duryea, Litherland and Schoenmakers keeping their spots for next week when the others return.

Not sure WWSD, Grundy in the forward pocket on Doc doesn't sound realistic to me. Expect ducks and drakes before the first bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back