Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

That's interesting, I wonder if there's any truth to that. Either way I was a big fan of the stickman too! It and the candy stripe are terrific for mine.
I know, would be interesting to ask the players.
I do remember thinking how well everyone stood out on tv.

I’ve always thought if we make another gf I want to get me and two others to go to the pub wearing one in red suit one in white suit one in black suit.
And we have to stay in order all day. Going to the bar together etc. Would be magnificent.
Who'd volunteer to be the lair in the red suit?

My goodness the RTB 'game plan' talk s**ts me to tears.

In a 6,6,6 game you hand the ball going their way +10 in a half of football from centre bounce. Hog tie me with my arse pointing to the sky.

Now RoMa may have copped a little bit more of a spray than Jack Steele. I'm thinking something like " any f'ing chance you can stop that genuis ruckman Rhys Stanley from jumping over you and tapping it out to the open side eh?"

So RoMa being the beautiful AA level ruck said "Ya know what. Yeah he has being and F that".

So 3rd quarter.

Centre bounce 1 - RoMa stops, props, takes ground, wins the tap. We get first hands on ball and goal from the entry

Centre bounce 2 - RoMa stops, props, gets pinged for a block and fortunately the Geelong player kicks it down Wilkie's throat. We go up other end and goal

Centre bounce 3 - Bad bounce that favoured RoMa tap rebounded off Geelong player and we get centre clearance. Didn't score off that and ball up and down ground but we did eventually goal off running ball.out of defence.

Centre bounce 4 - RoMa stops, props. wins tap down to ground and we get the centre clearance and Wilson goals

Centre bounce 5 - RoMa stops, props, wins tap down to ground and it is halved and ump calls for a ball up.

Now I could continue but the ar*e cheeks of our onballers is now less spread. Our forwards start getting looks our backs get a rest.

I don't think I'm far off that Ross's game plan wants our onball division to play like Q3 and 4. Now he also knows that some aren't good enough and some are too young but to say his game plan is deliberately stodgy is utterly BS.

Axes to grind and all that I guess.

I couldn't talk today after singing in our Aisle 30 seats straight across the walkway from the Aisle 29 legends (reckon that makes us Aisle 29 regulars too). What a bloody great win. Saturday nights at Marvel playing like that...it was a great reminder of 03 to 12
Some talk and do not know, but this is one if the best posts on this subject I've read in a long while. I appreciated the analysis and the week behind it.

Not much posting of late as we are travelling through the month of August. Trying to get into a position to watch the games but it doesn’t always work out. Saw the First quarter and a bit live, but then had to head out for a family occasion. In a disappointed frame of mind.

Stole a few looks at the scores and got into trouble a couple of times. But I was mesmerised. Only seeing raw scores and not knowing what was going on was hard work. But pleasing!

Got back to where we are staying. Straight into my app for the replay of the third quarter. Bloody hell. One of the great Saints quarters. Unbelievable to watch. So much to like.

Have been coveting high draft picks since it was clear we weren’t making the 8. But seeing that sort of footy against a top team is better.

My favourites of the soldiers rather than the stars were Jones playing well. Stocker did some good things. Owens crashing packs and monstering backmen impressive. Webster had a solid game. Dow showed poise. Garcia’s introduction was electric. Kid is going to develop really well.

Thrilled with how we are shaping. Beating the Blues would be sweet.

Game plan didn’t change in the 2nd half.

We did what we always do the only difference is we won clearance.
You're right that the game plan wasnt any fundamentally different but there was a lot more then just wining clearance that changed things around.

We were extremely fumbly in the first third of the game and allowed Geelong to pressure us a lot. In addition we were not taking consistent marks and/or were kicking to the advantage of their intercept players.

Clearance absolutely helps but most of our scores come from our back half which we struggled to exit early in the game.

I don't agree with this.

The coach lives and dies on the success of the team. He'll be judged clearly on a weekly basis. It's the most accountable role you could imagine regardless of bureaucrats who want him to be technically "accountable" to a Head of Footy or something.

This is the sort of thing people say to sound smart because they've only worked in big companies or government, where everyone reports to everyone and sits on committees and goes through due process and worries about stakeholder management and no-one gets anything done.

Bassat is fundamentally an entrepreneur (ignore current day Seek when publicly listed and focus on the early 00s when a startup). That's a very different space. When you're running a startup everyone's on the same page - this thing has to succeed or it dies. Reporting lines don't matter or even exist. Everyone is accountable to the market, in exactly the same way as RTB being accountable to on-field results.

There's an important concept in startups called task-relevant maturity, which came from a book by Andy Grove (ex CEO of Intel). It basically says that someone needs detailed micromanagement if they're new to a specific role, they have low TRM. In that case they should be managed by someone who's more expert on it than they are, with multiple daily checkins to keep them performing and learning, and they can only make simple decisions with time horizons of hours or days.

But as their maturity in the role grows, they need less and less of this. At medium TRM you might check in with them once every couple of days or week, and delegate to them goals and decisions with longer time horizons.

And at high TRM they're running the show themselves. The manager is there for advice but essentially the person is doing it all themselves. Agree goals up front - push them on that - and get the hell out of the way. The person lives and dies based on whether they achieve the pre-agreed goals, or whether they can defend not having done so.

RTB should be accountable to the goals the board and president set for him. He should have a structure around him to make sure that long-term thinking is still in place with list management; that he can work together with senior leaders of other functions around him; that he can defend or expain his decisions if asked; but ultimately he shouldn't have roadblocks or heavy process in his day-to-day or week-to-week or month-to-month coaching and man management.

I think Bassat gets this because he's fundamentally not a bureaucrat, and I think it's misunderstood by supporters who fundamentally are.
exactly what I was saying!

:eyes:

Agree to a point but part of the problem with corporate people running clubs is that they don’t follow a linear path. Trying to run a club like a business is difficult

Yeah but the same is true of a tech startup especially a marketplace like Seek. It doesn’t work until suddenly it does. So you have to know what metrics to focus on that aren’t market metrics because you might not get financial nourishment even though you’re going in the right direction. Very similar to a footy club where you might not get results until suddenly something clicks and it all starts working.

There's no doubt we won't win a flag with the midfield as it stands, so we need more talent in there but also cross our fingers on these guys:

• Phillipou looked like he'd turned the corner
  • Windhager had a couple of good games this year and will hopefully keep developing
  • Clark still might be able to come good with a cleaner run at it
  • Dow still might be able to come good with a cleaner run at it
  • Stocker seems reborn as a tagger
  • Wilson might be able to go inside at some point?
  • Henry could have a better run with injuries
  • Hugo shows very good signs

It's not ridiculous that all of those guys could step up a bit next year which should give us a fair bit of progress in the midfield.
agree 100% think we have really found one with Hugo- he is super focused and competitive and quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the reply I’ll be skipping ahead to the 3rd qtr.

Anybody going to watch the first half again?
On rewatch, Q2 was really not too bad, knowing that we won. Some easy goals from the middle for them, but we had started to move the ball pretty well. The 5 goals to none start was the part to skip.

Could rewatch Hugo's first kick to Snags over and over! 🤩
That was stellar. He didn’t even look balanced when he kicked it.
The rundown chase was also amazing.
Needs a full game reward just for those two things.

We were very fumbly in the first half , not in the 2nd half.
We had plenty of very gettable chances & blew them too.

3.6 to 9.3 at half time.

Cleaned up our ball use, pressure ramped up & took most of our chances (outside of a few gimmes that Stocker, Wood & co missed in the 3rd). Ran the old guard off their legs too.

Kane Cornes being sweet again. Pressure is off, useless win, only come good when it’s too late, same as Adelaide last year etc. etc.

Instead of seeing how we ‘got it together’ and created that win from the ground up, back our backs up against the wall.
This game is a classic. We will remember this game. Hopefully, the Saints will take this game as a harbinger of what’s too come.

Kane Cornes being sweet again. Pressure is off, useless win, only come good when it’s too late, same as Adelaide last year etc. etc.

Instead of seeing how we ‘got it together’ and created that win from the ground up, back our backs up against the wall.
This game is a classic. We will remember this game. Hopefully, the Saints will take this game as a harbinger of what’s too come.
Adelaide were robbed of playing finals last year, seems a bit harsh

Love the use of the word harbinger!!

Great to see some muscular use of vocabulary in here occasionally.

Just watching the replay of the third quarter. I'd forgotten Gary Rohan was playing. Is he one of the worst 200 game players ever? Right place right time guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back