Autopsy Round 24 2024 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 25, 12.30pm AEST, MARS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Morris now reporting our game may be Saturday week in the afternoon.

Watch for the official announcement on Monday morning - for us either Thurs night or Sat afternoon?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Just checked, trackwork that weekend.

4 trains per hour on the western line and Richmond line not going to the city.

These 4 trains per hour have been packed (standing room only) the last few weeks. Will be worse.

Hopefully they put additional trains on if it verifies.

Last edited:
Not a great way to end the regular season which itself was a bit of a strange one for us. I feel like we had far fewer highlights in 2024 compared to 2023. Certainly losing to Sydney and the Dogs twice leaves a bitter taste, as does some of the insipid losses to Essendon, Adelaide and Hawthorn (when they weren’t yet flying).

Despite all that, we finish top 4 and a new competition now begins.

The Western Bulldogs face a nervous wait on Liam Jones. The key defender is expected to be scrutinised by the Match Review Officer after he tackled GWS forward Aaron Cadman to the ground in the opening seconds of his side’s win in Ballarat on Sunday. Jones pinned the arm of Cadman whose head hit the ground under the weight of the tackle, but thankfully the young Giant escaped unscathed.

However, it was a very similar incident to the tackle by Lachie Ash on Fremantle’s Hayden Young in Round 23 which led to a one-game ban for the GWS defender.

Kane Cornes and Nathan Buckley discussed the Jones incident and wondered where it would land. Cornes says “there’s no way in the world” Jones should be missing a final for that action but just cannot see how he will get off given the AFL’s stance on such tackles. Cornes asked Buckley on SEN Breakfast: “Liam Jones - one week or no weeks?”

Buckley: “You know my opinion about these. I just think if we go on outcome, Cadman is ok. So let’s just play on.”

Cornes: “But Young was ok the previous week with Ash. It’s exactly the same tackle.

Buckley: “I know, but I think we’re giving too many.”

Cornes: “100 per cent, there’s no way in the world Liam Jones should be missing a final for a tackle like that. But unfortunately the AFL have made their own bed and there is no way he can be let off. They’re going to have to suspend him. The Western Bulldogs will take that to the Tribunal and you can look at whether the head hit the ground. There’s no way he should miss a final for that, but the AFL have no option but to suspend him.”

Buckley: “What would a reasonable player do in that circumstance?”

Cornes: “Oh, what a joke.”

Jones, 33, has played 199 career games for the Dogs and Carlton and has not yet appeared in a final.

The Western Bulldogs face a nervous wait on Liam Jones. The key defender is expected to be scrutinised by the Match Review Officer after he tackled GWS forward Aaron Cadman to the ground in the opening seconds of his side’s win in Ballarat on Sunday. Jones pinned the arm of Cadman whose head hit the ground under the weight of the tackle, but thankfully the young Giant escaped unscathed.

However, it was a very similar incident to the tackle by Lachie Ash on Fremantle’s Hayden Young in Round 23 which led to a one-game ban for the GWS defender.

Kane Cornes and Nathan Buckley discussed the Jones incident and wondered where it would land. Cornes says “there’s no way in the world” Jones should be missing a final for that action but just cannot see how he will get off given the AFL’s stance on such tackles. Cornes asked Buckley on SEN Breakfast: “Liam Jones - one week or no weeks?”

Buckley: “You know my opinion about these. I just think if we go on outcome, Cadman is ok. So let’s just play on.”

Cornes: “But Young was ok the previous week with Ash. It’s exactly the same tackle.

Buckley: “I know, but I think we’re giving too many.”

Cornes: “100 per cent, there’s no way in the world Liam Jones should be missing a final for a tackle like that. But unfortunately the AFL have made their own bed and there is no way he can be let off. They’re going to have to suspend him. The Western Bulldogs will take that to the Tribunal and you can look at whether the head hit the ground. There’s no way he should miss a final for that, but the AFL have no option but to suspend him.”

Buckley: “What would a reasonable player do in that circumstance?”

Cornes: “Oh, what a joke.”

Jones, 33, has played 199 career games for the Dogs and Carlton and has not yet appeared in a final.
TBH, I don’t think Ash deserved a week and nor does this …. But there has to be some consistency

TBH, I don’t think Ash deserved a week and nor does this …. But there has to be some consistency
100% agree. Ash should never have been charged, or the tribunal should have told VFL House to **** off. But that's the standard they've set now, and everyone (except Dogs supporters, of course!) can see that it's close enough to being the exact same tackling action that there has to be consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been confirmed, no suspension

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Liam Jones has been cleared to play in the elimination final against Hawthorn after escaping with a fine for his dangerous tackle in Ballarat on Sunday, but Carlton's Matt Owies will miss his side's knockout clash against Brisbane after copping a one-game ban.

Jones had faced the heartbreaking prospect of missing out on his first ever final for a tackle on Greater Western Sydney's Aaron Cadman just 18 seconds into the Dogs' 37-point win over the Giants in Ballarat on Sunday.

But the incident has been graded as low impact by the Match Review Officer, rather than medium impact, which means the Dogs defender has copped a fine instead of a suspension.

The final against Hawthorn on Friday, September 6 will be the 200th game of his AFL career.

It's been confirmed, no suspension

But the incident has been graded as low impact by the Match Review Officer, rather than medium impact, which means the Dogs defender has copped a fine instead of a suspension.
We've always seen them act as protector of VFL sides and smiter of interstate sides. So, just another instance.

VFL HQ hire management types precisely because they lack the personal character to maintain competition integrity in a professional sport with sports betting.

A prerequisite to corruption is amoral ‘fixers’ who can be relied on to do the wrong thing - sometimes without even being asked - in order to protect the guilty.

If this was the EPL or NFL, there’d be criminal investigations and law enforcement would inevitably be called in.

Indeed it’s so brazen, there’s not even any pretence of integrity.

Let’s play AFL, not VFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey GWS people. Pardon the intrusion. We have lost our last game and gone on to win the flag Believe you guys will as well this year, starting with making short work of Sydney Do this and almost guaranteed to play off against a bunch of teams that have soft underbellies.
Looks like your year

Hey GWS people. Pardon the intrusion. We have lost our last game and gone on to win the flag Believe you guys will as well this year, starting with making short work of Sydney Do this and almost guaranteed to play off against a bunch of teams that have soft underbellies.
Looks like your year
Hope so! Thanks for the best wishes.

Looks like your year
I totally agree … I expected us to lose and the late outs suggested we weren’t that fussed

14 day break and come out really hard and knock the crap out of the swines

Jones gets off for the exact same tackle as Ash. lol yet they deny they are a protected species.

exactly the same? Have a closer look - Jones didnt lean into a sling action like Ash - he was dragging him downwards. And hence there was no heavy head contact with the ground, altho he fell awkward as ****.

There was a clear intent with ash - you can see him arch his back suplex-style for the side slam. Resulting in heavy head contract with the ground.

Owies is more similar to Jones, in that he went downwards, but grabbed both arms - heavy head contact with ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24 2024 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 25, 12.30pm AEST, MARS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back