Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I would argue no last minute injuries.

And in all honestly we have no momentum. A one game momentum streak doesn't mean much after the last two losses.

With how we are having to utilize our depth, 4 points and the clean bill of health is all I wanted.

Nope they should have gone for the huge win, who cares about more injuries :rolleyes:

Are the Dons in trouble for a few incidents with their players? Saw a bit of talk from Dons supporters that the MRO could suspend their players

Could not remember any times tonight when we were streaming forward and kicking the ball inside 50, no hit up targets seemed to be on the menu tonight. I seriously could not remember anyone trying to chip a ball 20 metres to anyone leading up to the ball carrier.

Also how on earth the umpires missed those 2 arm chops to Joey is staggering. Obviously you can tell with these umpires umpiring our game tonight none of these umpires are in contention for finals games which is probably good.

I think the Top 4 teams have a greater chance MSB ROYS. Just looking at Hawthorn’s form at the moment, you would have to rate them, and the Bulldogs for that matter, as more of a chance than we are. I suspect we will win our Elimination Final and that might be it. I said earlier, we might muster a repeat of 2022 or 1986, but in both years we were smacked in the Preliminary Final after we ran out of puff.
Hey don't wreck my argument with statistics! ;)

I thought Cam was one in particular who didn’t know whether to pass or kick the goal himself and as such shanked a few etc.
Cam had a couple of shots where instead of trying to nail it from 50, he sat it on Charlie’s head in the goal square. He wasn’t the only one.
Over-corrected on last week and particularly for Cam it’s going away from what made him great in his purple patch this season.
He needs to recognise his strength and power and take those kicks.

Edit: and WTF was that holding the ball in the last quarter against Cam in the center?!?

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, Kai is now a lock in the side no matter what, even if Linc is available Round 1 next season.

Has tons of natural ability AND backs it up with hard work, energy and a disciplined approach to his game.

So much to like

I thought he was close to BOG in the first half tonight

Update to this: Man Utd now level at 1-1 and but had a goal to take the lead correctly ruled out because a shot that was going in anyway inadvertently hit an offside player on the goal line.View attachment 2090320

Tom I know our accuracy is horrendous and you’re in a dark place right now, but turning to soccer is not the answer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were talking on the radio that the effort to get back into contention and being 2-5 was massive. To carry it on physically and mentally seems to have been a step too far.

fingers crossed the old “finals is a new season” holds true and the boys can play finals with clear focus.

In Joe’s defence the umpires didn’t help him. He had 2 strong marks in front chopped out of his hands. Umpires give him nothing.

Yep.

Both staggeringly bad non-calls.

It seems like they almost have a paranoic fear of paying a free to Joe, no matter what.

Even blatant trips ala Lipinski last week are not only ignored but turned into a free kicks against the great man.

As we know, Joe is typically phlegmatic by nature but he's come close to blowing up the last couple of weeks over the disgusting treatment he's getting and I don't blame him a bit

Hats off to Lohmann, is putting together some season. I really like Morris but he has the yips right now.

Yes, tonight wasn't pretty, but if you'd told me round 7-10 that we could finish 5th, I would have laughed at you.

Please drop McKenna and Joyce, other than our goal kicking these are leaky buckets. Thought Answerth was a really great inclusion.

Cam had a couple of shots where instead of trying to nail it from 50, he sat it on Charlie’s head in the goal square. He wasn’t the only one.
Over-corrected on last week and particularly for Cam it’s going away from what made him great in his purple patch this season.

Edit: and WTF was that holding the ball in the last quarter against Cam in the center?!?
Charlie stole a goal off Rayner by not shepparding the ball through.

If ever a team looked like it needed a break in the last 3 weeks it is the Lions.
However, we have won 10 of the last 12 and it could easily have been 12 straight.
We freshen up and maybe get Payne & Reville available for finals.
Both may play VFL next week so we should know how they are travelling.
Starcevich back for finals also. At least i hope he will be.

Ashcroft is getting better with each game he plays.
Lohmann played well but it could have been better if a few things went his way.
He is so close to putting it all together against good opposition.
Noah Answerth stepped up and played well, but Starcevich will be back.
Berry was a bit quiet, but he got through the game.
I assume Hippy coming off was precautionary.

The Lions just need a few things to fall into place and a few players to lift and we will be fine.

A but left field but with Heppell now retired, does that leave Jake Melksham as the sole remaining Essendon Dank suspendee in the comp?

Can coaches seek a "please explain" from the Umpiring Department?

If so, Fages should be asking for one over the treatment Joe gets week after week.

Seems like a pass in Umpiring 101 requires never paying Joe Daniher a free kick under any circumstances
The umps tonight to a man really were a pathetic excuse for umpires. They were awful, inconsistent in interpretations and missed so many frees yet rewarded others and none are AFL standard.

Then again, one only needs to watch the VFL to see how bad umpiring is. Those guys perform like its the first time they’ve umpired.

That being said, you actually see a lot of good umps at local level, albeit they don’t have the fitness of AFL umpires but are far more in tune with the game.

And yet the whole umpires department are such snowflakes that they are immune for criticism or never made to justify their actions or explain their reasoning via a pat match press conference. Problem is, most AFL journalists are even weaker and wouldn’t ask them tough questions anyway.

CC needs to mix it up and come at the ball. He plays like Josh Jenkins lately… wants it all at the back or on the goal line

The umps tonight to a man really were a pathetic excuse for umpires. They were awful, inconsistent in interpretations and missed so many frees yet rewarded others and none are AFL standard.

Then again, one only needs to watch the VFL to see how bad umpiring is. Those guys perform like its the first time they’ve umpired.

That being said, you actually see a lot of good umps at local level, albeit they don’t have the fitness of AFL umpires but are far more in tune with the game.

And yet the whole umpires department are such snowflakes that they are immune for criticism or never made to justify their actions or explain their reasoning via a pat match press conference. Problem is, most AFL journalists are even weaker and wouldn’t ask them tough questions anyway.

Marvin, the paranoid android

As far as umpiring I believe on face value Fagan has let it go too long and should have cunningly mentioned this issue in his press conferences in the past . Stuff the fines or sanctions he needed to be better for the players and frustrated supporters as other smart coaches in the AFL and NRL have been. Not sure what has gone on behind the scenes with the umpiring heads but he really needs to have manipulated a few of the football commentators and scribes to question the quality and perhaps fairness. Bet the following week we would notice a few different interpretations for the better.

Fages agreed with Fish in the post match press conference and said that he thinks we over corrected from last week and tried to share it around too much

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back