Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

But North getting free picks makes it harder than ever for us, but easier than ever for them.
Yes I think that point is important. Though it might be hard for Norf with academies, father sons and whatever else, it was so much harder for everyone behind them dealing with academies, father sons, North assistance packages and priority picks.

Only 2 teams in the comp with seven players scoring 20+ goals.

Hawthorn and Sydney.

Watson just 2 goals off the 20.
Breust has only played 16 games and apparently about 46% game time in those games with his standing as sub.

Effectively kicked 20 goals in the equivalent of 8 full games. What an amazing player.

Shit coverage with no tv for Shiels post game.
They spent a good 15 minutes covering a drug cheat who played 250+ games and never won a final, and nothing for a three time premiership player that was chaired off by both teams.

They spent a good 15 minutes covering a drug cheat who played 250+ games and never won a final, and nothing for a three time premiership player that was chaired off by both teams.
Not a good day for the intern producing the TV coverage. Lost the play at one stage, on two other occasions had vision of Archer in the change rooms while play was going on. I know the commentary team are in Melbourne but who knows where the producers were.

Interesting, I've just watched the press conference. My take on it was that Clarko was just trying to point out that some of our core players have got 50-100 games now under their belt, pointing it out partly because it is a real factor and partly for the sake of his current team who had just been slaughtered. This is how it works, look, there's hope.

I don't think he actually came across as an egomaniac in this interview. Not for me anyway. I thought he was quite even handed and complimentary. I don't reckon he was in any way taking all the credit. That would be daft and that's spin if anything is. But it's not a big deal, I just saw it differently.
That's how I took it. "Hawthorn are 2 years ahead of us in development - however I wish I'd have thought of playing Nash as an inside mid and Sam Mitchell is a better coach than me"
Maybe I misheard the latter part.

We need to calm down on the Clarko bashing

Like sheedy and malthouse before him , they have all done an Elvis Presley and turned into caricatures of their former selves

We must remember he’s still a legend of hawthorn and coached 4 premierships and not dish on him …

Sam Mitchell is the right man and the big call that the club made sacking a legend for him (which Kennett was mainly responsible for ) was correct and a pivotal decision

In ten years time hopefully sam
Mitchell has joined Clarko yabbie and kennedy as a coaching legend of hawthorn

Until then we haven’t achieved anything yet (this group )

Love Sammy and this team , time and silverware will be the ultimate judge …there is a long road and a load of work and dedication to become great ahead of them

Not a good day for the intern producing the TV coverage. Lost the play at one stage, on two other occasions had vision of Archer in the change rooms while play was going on. I know the commentary team are in Melbourne but who knows where the producers were.
Local cameramen (news guys) were called up last minute to run some of the cameras - it might have been the same for the producers.

The flight with the foxtel crew only arrived during the 2nd quarter. (They arrived about 15 minutes before Mooney started commentating from the boundary).

Same with the cheer squad, some team officials, etc.

Little disappointed that norf couldn’t manage to compete to prepare us a bit better for finals.

The only thing that can stop our game plan is the players panicking, and small grounds (GMHBA, SCG).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how I took it. "Hawthorn are 2 years ahead of us in development - however I wish I'd have thought of playing Nash as an inside mid and Sam Mitchell is a better coach than me"
Maybe I misheard the latter part.
They will alway be 2 + years behind the rest in development . They are a irrelevant club that think gift vouchers get you a winning ticket.

We need to calm down on the Clarko bashing

Like sheedy and malthouse before him , they have all done an Elvis Presley and turned into caricatures of their former selves

We must remember he’s still a legend of hawthorn and coached 4 premierships and not dish on him …

Sam Mitchell is the right man and the big call that the club made sacking a legend for him (which Kennett was mainly responsible for ) was correct and a pivotal decision

In ten years time hopefully sam
Mitchell has joined Clarko yabbie and kennedy as a coaching legend of hawthorn

Until then we haven’t achieved anything yet (this group )

Love Sammy and this team , time and silverware will be the ultimate judge …there is a long road and a load of work and dedication to become great ahead of them

The Clarko bashing can be tasteless.

Have to factor the disgraceful opposition, but I thought there were some signs of our forwards really gelling with each other in a way I haven't seen very often this season, the deft touches, handballs to players in better position, timing of leads were all spot on yesterday. Might just me being far too optimistic but i'm hoping that this forward line which hasn't spent much time together could finally click for finals.

As for North- how Cam Zurhaar got 5 years is beggars belief, he couldn't care less

The Clarko bashing can be tasteless.

It's true.
But he hasn't had a tasteful moment for us either since the shlemozzle of the changeover.
He's had plenty of chances to appreciate the moment and opportunity that we, yes we, gave him too.
For all we received from Clarko as a Club, we were also the opportunity and the making of his legend.
He's failed to take even a second to appreciate that, all the people who worked alongside and even out of sight to bring that shared success.
Not to mention barely batting an eye lid to us, his supporters, his champions, for near all his time with us.
Instead, we got a dopey Sydney scarf wearing moment.

We should be classy in our appreciation of the little general.
it would be nice if he was too.

Last edited:
Marlon Pickett got more coverage than Liam. Absolute disgrace!

Just watching the replay (because you only get so many 124 point victories in your life, so why not revel in it) and have to give a shout out to the job that Nash did on LDU before he was injured. Gave him nothing and hurt him the other way. HMo's defensive positioning was excellent. Croc is one smooth mover and his kicking is a really underrated weapon.

Five goals in the last 5 minutes of the game was fun too.

Here's the Liam Shiels send off in video.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back