Discussion Round 24: StKilda vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to work out a matchup for Yarran and now with Armo out its really got me thinking that Alistair Smith might not be a bad option. Can tag and has been in good VFL form recently. Also replaces a midfielder with a midfieder.

That won't work though. To shutdown a rebounding defender you need someone who is going to have the ball kicked to them when Yarran, Davis, etc peel off them. Can't see this working. Gamble would be change for Armo for mine.

Is Cripps any chance with Geary being in the starting 21 and Cripps as sub?

Not sure Ricky Thomas Ponting. I doubt they would throw in Cripps straight away at Round 24. Given our VFL season is over, his only game time would be at VFL reserves level I think?

Also, just while I'm on this. The Ziebell hit on Riewoldt. How can that be classed as just medium contact. Ziebell ran into him quickly shot up into the air and landed on Riewoldts head. If thats medium what then constitutes high contact? Running in and using a cricket bat?

They rate impact on result. As Roo was knocked out for a while but no fractures etc, medium impact.

Wouldn't mind seeing Cripps come in for Armitage but not sure if his fitness will be up to scratch yet. Even if he is a sub you still need the capacity to play a full game just in case someone gets injured early.

Probably better off with either Gamble or Walsh coming in who should have a better fitness base and will give us another possible forward option for finals.

Anyone else notice we are upto 54 posts and not one Carlton flog has been on here :eek: Must know that we have the win in the bag and they are going to get knocked out week 1 of finals aswell :D

You gotta admit at least we get a lot of discussion in the North threads haha.

Pumped for this game. Haven't been to the G since the first Collingwood game.

Hoping for a strong showing. And will be much more relaxed if Brisbane manage to get up over Sydney lol.

haha sorry guys ;)

Anyone else notice we are upto 54 posts and not one Carlton flog has been on here :eek: Must know that we have the win in the bag and they are going to get knocked out week 1 of finals aswell :D

Yep. And we can all start talking about salary caps, John Elliot, Dick Pratt & ACCC price-fixing and of course the National Crime Authority. ;)

We'll beat these guys.

Ohai dere.

So uhm... I best add something constructive then.

Waite is quite unlikely to play this week at all let alone in the Seniors. Jamison also won't be quite match fit yet (after getting another niggle after playing a half in the VFL over the weekend) but he will most likely play.

Gibbs > Goddard looks good for us again.
Carrazzo > Dal Santo
Jamison > Riewoldt
Henderson > Kosi (If Kosi is on then this will be a pivotal match up for you guys, if not I expect Hendo to run off him at will)

Fisher is the one we need to really stop though. With no KPF of note this week (Waite is really our only AFL standard KPF at the moment) again and with our tendency to bomb it long onto the head of Betts, Fisher's marking prowess will come to the fore (as it did in our last encounter IIRC).

All in all I think we'll win by the required 200ish+ points to set up a first week final of Carlton v St Kilda. We'll then proceed to smash you by 250 points in the aforementioned final.
Good luck. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohai dere.

So uhm... I best add something constructive then.

All in all I think we'll win by the required 200ish+ points to set up a first week final of Carlton v St Kilda. We'll then proceed to smash you by 250 points in the aforementioned final.
Good luck. :thumbsu:

Like it. Will be a 250ish opint turnaround first wee finals and let us exact revengue on the pies in the big one :rolleyes:

Jamison > Riewoldt
Henderson > Kosi (If Kosi is on then this will be a pivotal match up for you guys, if not I expect Hendo to run off him at will)

I'd expect these to be the other way around actually. Jamison won't be able to last on Riewoldt. Too underdone.

My sources tell me Waite has OP. Won't be back.

Considering Carlton's lack of tall defenders, it is worth going tall as a replacement for Armitage? Or do you go for speed considering the game is at the MCG?

It seems like Walsh, Lynch, Gamble, Baker and Al Smith are under consideration. I also think Jamie Cripps should be considered as a sub, with Geary moving into the 21.

Getting a bunch of soft touches doesn't amount to dominating. He was just about playing for us, he used the ball so poorly.

It doesn't matter, though. We have better players with bigger hearts than him in the middle. We can do this.

Too true, thought it was strange to play gilbo on judd though, why not someone one like clinton jones, more conventional i would have thought.

My sources tell me Waite has OP. Won't be back.

Considering Carlton's lack of tall defenders, it is worth going tall as a replacement for Armitage? Or do you go for speed considering the game is at the MCG?

It seems like Walsh, Lynch, Gamble, Baker and Al Smith are under consideration. I also think Jamie Cripps should be considered as a sub, with Geary moving into the 21.

Baker back in i say, needs some form for the finals. Think his experience is valuable.

Waite confirmed as not playing this week

Walsh in for Blake?

Who comes in for Armo?

Have a feeling that we might give Gardiner a game, just to see if he gets through. We arent going to risk him in finals soreckon this is the week....

I'd expect these to be the other way around actually. Jamison won't be able to last on Riewoldt. Too underdone.
I THINK, Guide, SpaceCow was using ">" in its directional sense, not in its qualitative sense. He wasn't saying whether Jamison is better than Riewoldt, but that he would go to Riewoldt.

I'd like to think that's what he meant, because otherwise the credibility of SC's post becomes somewhat strained.

Even if he is a sub you still need the capacity to play a full game just in case someone gets injured early.

So true.

Not sure why people are talking about Cripps when he has just returned from major surgery on his legs and has nowhere near the fitness base needed for AFL.

The other issue is that maybe Gears (who had also been off his legs for a chunk of the year - but is much further along the recovery path than Cripps) might still need to be sub.

Bakes would be, imo, a step back... literally. We would be losing AGAIN an attacking player and replacing him with a defensive player. We already did that with Gamble and Blake - and I am still not entirely comfortable with that, even after the Kangas win. Let Gamble come in, kick 4, and make Lyon's selections for the first final an epic headache.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Round 24: StKilda vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back